IGNORED

Gareth Barry

you negative Nancy!

yeah, if you look at it like that then ok i agree. but its not like anyone of us are needing changes of underwear!

Im looking at reuniting a solid and successful CDM partnership being reunited, a player with masses of experience coming in to be a role model for McCarthy amongst others. Id love to be celebrating a star signing, but i will celebrate a squad improvement just as much. The spine of last seasons team back together, thats worth celebrating.

No, it's just thought of as a shame that this massive signing couldn't have been made in time for the kit unveiling.

Give me a new signing and I'll see it as something to get excited about, not a player who was already here and that we know all about.

That's a long contract. I don't know how I feel about it, but I'm leaning towards the negative.

He'd only be thirty six at the end of it, still young enough to play the role he does for us as long as he looks after himself; which I'm sure he will as he's a great pro.

I'm leaning towards positive, as long as his wages aren't daft.

how many people were appalled at Distin getting a contract extension, and hes 36 now. Like Mike says, if he looks after himself he will be a great addition. Barry hasnt been renowned for pace anyway, which is usually the main concern with age, so no concerns from me and as Louis says, we may get a transfer fee (likely small but something) if he goes to the US. Very pleased if we sign him, the pros outweigh the cons for me :)

how many people were appalled at Distin getting a contract extension, and hes 36 now. Like Mike says, if he looks after himself he will be a great addition. Barry hasnt been renowned for pace anyway, which is usually the main concern with age, so no concerns from me and as Louis says, we may get a transfer fee (likely small but something) if he goes to the US. Very pleased if we sign him, the pros outweigh the cons for me :)

Good point about the US transfer, but I really only thought that came about because of NYFC's affiliation with Man City. Barry won't be affiliated with them now if he comes to us.

I read somewhere that the NYFC offer was no longer on the table as they were going for Frank Lampard instead

That's what it says in the Mirror article that J posted.

Not liking the length of the contract and not particularly liking that we were his fall back option now his cash cow has fallen through, showing that money is his motivation still and he hasn't learnt anything.

Edited by Romey 1878

Great signing. Was a key player for us last season. And will be again.

He looks after himself. Like Distin. So his age is not a problem for me.

The length of his contract means stability for him and a successful team. Win win for both.

A few of our youngsters will learn a lot from him and his experience. That alone adds a lot of value to our club.

A rare, model professional.

Guest blueboy122

The fact it's taking Barry so long to decide speaks volumes for me.

For me as well.

I think we should move on.

We would have to pay £2.5M anyway

Martinez goes on about the well-being of players a bit much for me. Everton first, Robbie, Everton first.

I think he is a bit of psychologist, a key factor in management is making people want to do well for you. Players nowadays realise that contentment at a club is a massive factor. A bit of reverse psychology being used.

I think it's what they call emotional commitment. On every course I go on they give it loads about getting emotional commitment from our staff as it breeds loyalty and a stronger work ethic. I think this is the line that Roberto goes for.

Tell the player don't worry about us, you do what's best for you, we want you to be happy first and foremost. Then they think they will be happier sticking with this guy who cares about them so much.

Text book management speak, he just gets paid about 10,000 times more than me for saying the same thing!

I think he is a bit of psychologist, a key factor in management is making people want to do well for you. Players nowadays realise that contentment at a club is a massive factor. A bit of reverse psychology being used.

I don't think it is just mind games though. Such as letting Hietinga and Jelavic go in January without replacing them had a detrimental effect on the club IMO

I think it's what they call emotional commitment. On every course I go on they give it loads about getting emotional commitment from our staff as it breeds loyalty and a stronger work ethic. I think this is the line that Roberto goes for.

Tell the player don't worry about us, you do what's best for you, we want you to be happy first and foremost. Then they think they will be happier sticking with this guy who cares about them so much.

Text book management speak, he just gets paid about 10,000 times more than me for saying the same thing!

If you need to do that with a player that's spent the past season with us then I don't want that player.

Gonna try that tactic at my place and see if it works haha.

Been having a few training sessions recently that are saying the same kind of thing. Emphasise with people.

I don't think it is just mind games though. Such as letting Hietinga and Jelavic go in January without replacing them had a detrimental effect on the club IMO

How so? I don't think there was a game where three of Distin, Jagielka, Stones and Alcaraz were unavailable so we didn't miss Heitinga. And Naismith played up top much better than Jelavic can.

How so? I don't think there was a game where three of Distin, Jagielka, Stones and Alcaraz were unavailable so we didn't miss Heitinga. And Naismith played up top much better than Jelavic can.

I was reffering more to Jelavic. When he left Naismith was our only fit forward so we had nobody to come off the bench. In some games Naismith was looking tired and/or innefective but we had no other options

I had no problem with Roberto selling Hietinga and Jelavic but I just think he should have did what he said he was going to do and bring in replacements first

This is quite true (although it shouldn't be management speak, it should be genuine!). The downfall is that it may work when people are earning a few quid....Not so much when there are tens of thousands a week at stake.

So I don't think Roberto does it because he's been taught it on a course, he does it because he's a good genuine bloke.

Not enough people around are like that.

I was reffering more to Jelavic. When he left Naismith was our only fit forward so we had nobody to come off the bench. In some games Naismith was looking tired and/or innefective but we had no other options

I had no problem with Roberto selling Hietinga and Jelavic but I just think he should have did what he said he was going to do and bring in replacements first

I disagree. Like I have said before McGeady was Jelavics replacement as he had eyes on moving Naismith forward. The impact the pair of them had was far greater than anything Jelavic would have contributed.