IGNORED

Chelsea (Home)

Memmaclub

No, he didn't play as a centre forward for his old club. He played on the wing there too primarily, only if the other two centre forwards (Pantelic and Djebbour) were unavailable did he play up top. He only played on the wing for Saint-Etienne and he played on the wing or behind the main striker when he first came onto the scene at Lille. He won't be as effective up top against sides like WBA or Cardiff either if there's just 18 yards in behind the opposition's centre backs.

Cheers for that, and i agree, he can't be the lone point man for a full 90 mins but in a game like this where we were countering and attempting to protect the ball, he could be great at that.

Proud of the lads, what a team effort. It would be an injustice to single 1 player out.

Magnificent all over the pitch, contained a quality side. And Gareth Barry ( Had my doubts, But will be delighted to be wrong)

Thanks Blue Boys very much, I can enjoy my Saturday.

And a certain new striker at West Ham next. Happy Birthday Mr Naismith, Keep up that effort and u,ll win people around.

Everton 1 Chelsea 0. Yeah nice aint it. now Match of the day.

Now that last 30mins was brilliant. As soon as McCarthy came on and we moved into a real three in midfield (one defensive and two playing ahead) we looked a different team. Both the news boys in midfield new exactly what to do and they swamped them. Barry was excellent all game. He read the game exceptionately all game and his passing is exactly what we have missed. McCarthy came on and didnt do anything flashy but he pressed, he hassled and Osman picked up his form and did exactly the same.

The attacking shift with Mirallas moving forward and Barkley wide, worked exactly how Martinez wanted and instead of surrendering possession everytime we played the ball forward, we could actually pass it and counter or we could go long to Mirallas who created space or try and play him in behind. Once we changed it, I thought we were the more dangerous team and it was great to see Martinez trusting the young lads at the end. Im looking forward to Kone and Lukaku playing up front because they will make Jelavic look as mobile as a lamppost

Overall for 50-60 mins we were average but even then we were competing with Chelsea so that bodes very well for when we are fully tuned up and Martinez knows exactly how he wants us to play.

Some quick thoughts on the players.

Howard fucked up once, but Barry saved him there. Was commanding on crosses, not just punching them but holding them too. And made a couple of good saves.

The defensive line weren't always on the same page and we rode our luck at times, but all's well that ends well I guess. Especially when we lost the ball in the middle right in front of the centre backs, Jags and Distin didn't always react in unison which meant that a couple of players got in behind when they should have been offside. Coleman made some very good runs forward at the end there, unbelievable engine on him. I'm still frustrated by his tendency to do a couple of stepovers, only to come inside onto his weaker foot and run straight into the space also occupied by Naismith (or Mirallas in other games). Baines was solid and his set pieces were better than they have been too.

In the middle of the park, Barry was very good. This is exactly what I expected from him to be honest, slotted straight into the team despite not playing much this season and was just rock solid. Always in the right position to either prevent a pass or put a tackle in or simply to get to a lose ball and get it out to a team mate with a quick touch when the Chelsea players are closing in on him. Very assured performance. Osman was very shaky in the first half, but better in the second. He still almost lost the ball trying to dribble out of his own box in between two Chelsea players, but apart from that he kept the ball better, played some cheeky passes to get it to a team mate over a Chelsea player closing down. Barkley was very good. He can dribble right up the middle, but sometimes he needs to just decide to shoot or pass rather than cutting back again.

Mirallas was shaky defensively in the first half and didn't have much of an impact going forward, apart from one time he cut it back to Naismith from the right. Once he moved up top and Chelsea's two centre backs were the sole players they had back and were defending up too the halfway line though he gave them a horrid time. There was also one time where he dribbled inside from the left wing to have a shot with his right, that's really his game and he should be doing that a lot more times per game. Naismith was very good in the first half, actually got to the byline a couple of times and obviously scored the goal, and he declined in the second half. He still did his work defensively but when he then had to launch counter attacks he wasted several good opportunities. Jelavic did well to keep Osman's cross in play for the goal, but he simply cannot keep the ball up. He lost out to Luiz every single time in those situations. And he doesn't really have the pace to stretch the defense either.

We rode our luck slightly and that's fine by me, 3 points is all that matters tonight.

This team/squad can and will play better than this, we are going to be a very hard team to beat.Martinez is sounding like a very astute manager.The crowd showed him towards the end what a lucky man he was to get Everton.

It wasn't Moyes like in the sense we didn't sit back. We went for them at 1-0 up.

It didn't seem like that were I was sat

I thought we were totally outclassed and were very lucky to be in the game especially in the second half, this result was all about a great defensive performance and some poor finishing by Chelsea

Great damn result, and over an opposition side I generally can't abide. Naismith scores the only goal on his birthday of all things, but has still been a disappointing signing up to now despite today. Apparently Martinez showed some attacking emphasis after the goal and decided to try for more, whereas before under Moyes we would just come to a halt and hang on for dear life with what we had. I don't know why this game required a 5-30 start, rather than the standard 3pm kick off and it seems the plastics missed a host of chances and were a little unlucky to lose, but who gives a fuck about that when the sum total is, we got the victory - our first victory.

Well done to all involved today in beating those - , and despite the three draws that came before it, every reason for optimism in the months ahead. Also appears Barry had a very good game, and I thought before time he could be a worthwhile acquisition. Great to beat this opposition. Without question, Naismith would have had a birthday to remember.

That was a well deserved win in my book. We didn't miss Fellaini at all and bossed large portions of the game. Even we were at 1-0 we had enough about us to see the game out without having to hang on with 11 men in defence. When we had the ball we were looking to attack with Mirallas, Jelavic & Naismith which was good to see and we managed to keep it tight at the back like we have done all season under Martinez. Chelsea managed to put together some decent attacking moves but all of them were dealt with well by our back four.

We're still un-beaten and we now have our first win under Bobby, there is a long way to go but all the signs are positive.

Howard - Pretty poor to be honest, nearly gave away a goal in the first-half because he was dicking around with the ball rather than clearing it and looked very indecisive (as always) when coming to collect aerial balls. He made some good saves but that isn't enough against teams like Chelsea.

Coleman - Fantastic, looked solid at the back and was rapid going forward. He had the pace to get round Cole and did it time and time again, he linked up well with Naismith too and brought him into the game.

Distin - Solid as always. He did what he had to and kept Eto'o quiet (who looked completely shit all game).

Jagielka - In the first half he looked fucking awful as whenever he had the ball he would hopelessly hoof it up-field to either David Luiz or John Terry. After about 20 minutes he stopped it and put in a good shift for us.

Baines - Linked up well with Mirallas and was always a threat going forwards. Tore Ivanovic apart at times.

Naismith - He did a job in terms of breaking up Chelsea attacks and was the man to score us the goal but for me he looked quite poor today. Many attacks stopped with a poor pass from him and I feel that had we a player of quality in his position today we might have scored more (or at least had more chances).

Osman - Shit in the first half and average in the second. He seemed to get tired after about 70 minutes and then seemed to just sit back and hold the fort (which was fine). He actually looked better when we were all out defence than when we were going for 1 and 2-0. Once James McCarthy has settled in I'm hoping Osman and he swap roles.

Barry - Fuck me. Man of the Match. That's one of the best debuts I've ever seen. We would have conceded had it not been for him diving across the line when Howard fucked up and was excellent both in attack and defence. To sell Fellani for £28,000,000 and bring him in on a loan is fantastic business if he can replicate what he did today. My MOTM by a long way.

Barkley - I love how he always looks a threat going forwards and always wants to take people on but a few times today he actually broke up attacks by not passing the ball. Many times we would counter-attack Chelsea, have Mirallas free on the left and Barkley would try and take on both Terry & Luiz. It's fantastic that a kid of his age has so much confidence but he needs to understand that football isn't a one-man game.

Mirallas - I love Mirallas and he had a great game as always today. He was taking players on left, right and centre and linked up well with Baines down the left. When Jelavic went off he went up front and looked alright there, he held the ball up well when we wanted to hold out for 1-0 and seemed to handle the pressure of being our only man up top well.

Jelavic - Shit. Didn't do much and Mirallas looked a much better striking option than him even though Mirallas was heavily fatigued. If he continues in this kind of form he can go for me in January, he's been very average now for 12 months and more.

It didn't seem like that were I was sat

I thought we were totally outclassed and were very lucky to be in the game especially in the second half, this result was all about a great defensive performance and some poor finishing by Chelsea

From the perspective of did we face pressure? Absolutely. They are a quality outfit with dangerous players all over.

Did we sit back and get 9 men behind the ball and invite them ala Moyes style? No. In the last 20 minutes we had a few opportunities to score and were the best team at that stage despite Chelsea going full on. Facing pressure isn't the same as sitting back.

A couple of smaller things I forgot to add earlier...

Firstly I thought Jags was excellent in the second half. I thought he was poor earlier in the game (positioning mainly) but when we needed someone to pull through and lead the way he did just that. It was those moments that Neville would go quiet and if Im honest I thought Jags would do the same, but he really did lead by example.

Slightly linked to that point is the form of Distin. I have never been his greatest admirer because I have always believed him to be one of those players who would be very good and then make some piss poor errors. However, so far this season he has been quite superb and he looks very solid and dependable and today qas no exception.

Finally I just wanted to mention Barkley because the lad has so much talent but in order to take him to the next level, someone needs to tell him when to pull the fucking trigger! He found himself in so many great positions today that someone like a Lampard or Gerrard would just get the ball out of their feet and then look to either shoot or pass. Ross just always wants one more touch and Im sure it will come but please just make a decision and commit to it. I dont care if he hits 10 shots and they all go wide, but its a shame to see all his hard work fizzle out because he tried to take that extra touch.

This result is just what the doctor ordered -

Well done Everton !!!!

Well done Roberto Martinez !!!!!

We showed today that we can compete with the best -

Barry caused a momentum shift in our defensive organization - something we desperately needed -

Bring on Lukaku, Kone , Delefue,and McCarthy and we could go places this season already -

write off Jelavic and Osman as starters - they look history-

Thanks Everton for a great Saturday

My belovered blues have made my weekend today. In a nutshell, distan and jags solid once again. BARRY is a weird one. Never rated him when watching him but today he proved me so wrong. He was immense today. Showed that little bit of difference in class and experience against top teams. Was happy for naismith to get his goal on his birthday but he really isn't the answer. And jelavic, ive lost all patience with. Didn't hold play up once,the part of his game that should be a certainty if his shooting boots arnt on....so happy today though all round.

Apparently Martinez showed some attacking emphasis after the goal and decided to try for more

it seems the plastics missed a host of chances

Also appears Barry had a very good game.

I do love your match day analysis Dalziel! I don't think I've once read a set of comments from you after a match that indicates you've watched it. I'd love to know how you draw these conclusions. I genuinely would like to know your views and not what you've read or heard. Maybe next week?

Not really understanding how people thought Jela had a shit game today... He almost had a goal early, and then he not only got his head onto a ball that he had no business getting to, he got it perfectly to Naismith for our goal. I also thought hos all around play was fine. Luiz pulled him down the one time, too. What does he need to do for you?

Not really understanding how people thought Jela had a shit game today... He almost had a goal early, and then he not only got his head onto a ball that he had no business getting to, he got it perfectly to Naismith for our goal. I also thought hos all around play was fine. Luiz pulled him down the one time, too. What does he need to do for you?

he needs to score goals (not assist them, he's a striker not a creative midfielder) and he also needs to have better link up play. whenever he touches the ball it's either immediately turned over or a terrible pass.

Considering we were no where near our best it was a great result! Some very Moyes esq subs from Martinez as well yesterday which I didn't like at all. On another day, Chelsea could have finished their chances and we could have lost that easy by 2 or 3. Barkley had a poor game, decision making was very poor, Osman looked a liability whenever he touched the ball and I hate how we seem to have this lack of urgency to press the ball. Sometimes you'd have Mata or Eto on the edge of the box and our defender would happily stand off him and let him get into the box. If you give players like that time, they will punish you. We got off the hook a few too many times yesterday for me to count that as a good performance. Great result though. Barry was the only player who stood out as having a good game, could turn out to be a great signing.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

From the perspective of did we face pressure? Absolutely. They are a quality outfit with dangerous players all over.

Did we sit back and get 9 men behind the ball and invite them ala Moyes style? No. In the last 20 minutes we had a few opportunities to score and were the best team at that stage despite Chelsea going full on. Facing pressure isn't the same as sitting back.

Ha ha so if we are pinned back in our own half under Moyes its the managers fault for being too negative yet if we are pinned back in our own half under Martinez its because we are facing pressure?

It was a great result but lets be honest here Chelsea had enough clear cut chances to have won by 3 or 4 goals. I agree with Steve E I thought it had all the hallmarks of a Moyse performance ie defending for our lives at times but sticking at it and hanging on in

We still kicking the guy after that?

I watched the match with a Leeds fan and a man u fan.

One comment was "why can't jelly read the match, Naismith has been winning headers against Luiz all day long"

Then another comment that he is a pain in the ass, he just breaks so many attacks up by getting back.

He panicked when going forward alone but other than that I actually thought he ran Barry close for MoM.

When we gonna give this guy credit, that's what Evertonians usually do.

Last twenty mins we weren't pinned back. We had a number of chances and always had an outlet.

And dont forget we were playing against the premier favourites! They are gonna put pressure on Any team they play in Europe.

But we were by no means holding on at the end.

Edited by Shukes

Who really gives a fuc% that some players reverted to Moyes type tactics, could have something to do with the fact that they played under him for many years, plus some of those tactics managed to keep us a top 5/6 team.

Playing a team like Chelsea where every position is filled by a player who is supposed to be one of Europes better players, there will be times when needs must.

If we had a free scoring forward who could have put WBA and Cardiff to the sword we'd be just about top of the table, with or without Moyse' old Tactics.I feel sorry for Jelavic, goals just aren't happening, if they start flying in for him or another striker fills that role we will do very well.

Chelsea won't lose many games this season, that was a great result, sure the performance wasn't that good, but if Martinez can get his new players to gel the future looks pretty good.If we revert to back to wall type tactics every now and then I'll be fine with that.

Negative back to the wall tactics aren't unique to Moyes, move on and accept sometimes to win games Everton players will revert to this and if we win all the better.

Ha ha so if we are pinned back in our own half under Moyes its the managers fault for being too negative yet if we are pinned back in our own half under Martinez its because we are facing pressure?

It was a great result but lets be honest here Chelsea had enough clear cut chances to have won by 3 or 4 goals. I agree with Steve E I thought it had all the hallmarks of a Moyse performance ie defending for our lives at times but sticking at it and hanging on in

Moyes would all players in our own half, Martinez has them stretched out, we press higher up the pitch. That's why we were able to counter attack so well. The last 20 minutes we had by far the best clear cut chances, Coleman and mirallas professionally fouled, 2 free kicks one off the bar, one saved.

Moyes invited pressure, Martinez counteracts pressure.