IGNORED

Southampton

Guest rusty747

Really good result as that was a proper battle. Once we went to more of a 4-4-2 we never really looked in trouble and were unlucky not to get another.

Shame we dropped our levels for 20mins at the start of the second half but the changes really helped. If I was being picky I would argue that the Barkley move should have been done a little earlier.

Big performances from McCarthy and Barkley as they dragged us through the game. Barkley showed Lallana that he is a far better player too and should definitely be the one starting game for England.

Was worried about this game considering the weakened squad that we had to put out today, but am happy we were able to secure the 3 points.

A little disappointed with Oviedo's performance today. I've seen him play as a midfielder for Costa Rica and believe he had been good there. To be fair it has been against Concacaf competition, but I digress.

Baines was definitely rusty out there. It's nice to have him out there though and he'll hopefully shake this one off and come out blazing against Stoke.

Pienaar made a difference immediately when he came on as we were able to actually hang on to the ball and pass it around. He should definitely be starting until further notice.

Needless to say I was on the edge of my seat (or rather, bed since the game's kickoff was at 5:30 AM here) with our poor passing in our own midfield and Robles not being able to get a grip of the game but I'll be happy with these 3 points. Disappointed with the Jags injury but Alcaraz looked good out there so hopefully he'll keep that up. With Barry and TImmy coming back next game, I hope we can build on this hard earned win and put that Sunderland game behind us. COYB!

Was worried about this game considering the weakened squad that we had to put out today, but am happy we were able to secure the 3 points.

A little disappointed with Oviedo's performance today. I've seen him play as a midfielder for Costa Rica and believe he had been good there. To be fair it has been against Concacaf competition, but I digress.

Baines was definitely rusty out there. It's nice to have him out there though and he'll hopefully shake this one off and come out blazing against Stoke.

Pienaar made a difference immediately when he came on as we were able to actually hang on to the ball and pass it around. He should definitely be starting until further notice.

Needless to say I was on the edge of my seat (or rather, bed since the game's kickoff was at 5:30 AM here) with our poor passing in our own midfield and Robles not being able to get a grip of the game but I'll be happy with these 3 points. Disappointed with the Jags injury but Alcaraz looked good out there so hopefully he'll keep that up. With Barry and TImmy coming back next game, I hope we can build on this hard earned win and put that Sunderland game behind us. COYB!

Howard is a 3 game suspension, I believe? straight red= 3 games, right?

*edit* nevermind, apparently straight red suspensions are different per what offense? Professional foul= one match, but violent conduct is 3?

Edited by Quinn31

Howard is a 3 game suspension, I believe? straight red= 3 games, right?

*edit* nevermind, apparently straight red suspensions are different per what offense? Professional foul= one match, but violent conduct is 3?

Yeah I thought it was only 1 game, which will come as a relief because I was not comfortable with Robles in between the posts today. To be fair though, we had plenty of shaky passes that could've come back to haunt us so it wasn't entirely his fault.

Yeah I thought it was only 1 game, which will come as a relief because I was not comfortable with Robles in between the posts today. To be fair though, we had plenty of shaky passes that could've come back to haunt us so it wasn't entirely his fault.

Yeh I think its one too.

Robles just needs game time which is the same for every keeper. Its very rare that you get a keeper coming in for one game (especially with a change at CB, LB and DM) and look comfortable. He deal with most things well enough but should have got something behind the strike from Ramirez. The important thing is that he didnt let it effect the rest of his game.

Yeh I think its one too.

Robles just needs game time which is the same for every keeper. Its very rare that you get a keeper coming in for one game (especially with a change at CB, LB and DM) and look comfortable. He deal with most things well enough but should have got something behind the strike from Ramirez. The important thing is that he didnt let it effect the rest of his game.

To be fair to Robles I sit right behind the Gwladys Street goal and the ball looked like it swerved right in front of him, would have to see it again on the box but at the time I did have a bit of sympathy for him

To be fair to Robles I sit right behind the Gwladys Street goal and the ball looked like it swerved right in front of him, would have to see it again on the box but at the time I did have a bit of sympathy for him

Yeh there was definitely some swerve and dip but I would have hoped that he could have got something on it. The way these new balls move can make keepers look stupid.

I have now seen the game and im happy with three things

1 - 3 points

2 - Coleman/mcCarthy. Coleman is just getting better and better. McCarthy is a brilliant signing.

3 - Alcaraz, slotted right in. We knew he was good from the Wigan stats but I didnt quite realise he was this good.

This just goes to prove that our squad is a lot healthier this season. In this game we were missing (from start) Mirallas, Howard, Jagielka (capt), Pienaar, Barry, Deulofeu. Thats 6 players that are good enough to start when we have a fully fit squad. We still managed to beat a Southampton that has shown some terrific form in the first half of the season.

Its a show of strength in my book.

Edited by Peter H

This just goes to prove that our squad is a lot healthier this season. In this game we were missing (from start) Mirallas, Howard, Jagielka (capt), Pienaar, Barry, Deulofeu. Thats 6 players that are good enough to start when we have a fully fit squad.

And Gibson and Kone are missing. This holiday period is a real test of the depth of our squad.

I'm not at all surprised by the positive remarks about Alcaraz. I've always rated him highly and have been eagerly awaiting his appearance in the first team.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Was at the match for one of my rare forays north. Have to say the atmosphere was very good. Fair play to the other fans and the club for making it a great experience.

The match wasn't a great, due to the number of fixtures both teams had played. Both teams played the same passing, high line, pressing tactics and there was a bit of both sets of players cancelling each other out. Despite that Everton carried much the greater threat when we did start to pass the ball and Coleman's goal was amazing. I think we will have to start calling him "Roberto Carlos".

Baines was very rusty, and it wasn't the best time to judge if he and Oviedo could play on the same flank. Both are used to bombing on and overlapping and there simply wasn't the moving into space and looking for the ball that an experienced winger like Pienaar. But with time I think this will come and it will be an effective option.

McCarthy was immense for us and without him we would have lost. He was everywhere and his tackling, harrying and passing were key to us winning.

Barkley was good as well, he was tracking back and making forward runs, but I think he was so intent on helping Osman that he was caught between playing his natural game and supporting Ossy..

Naismith was poor, and offers little creatively, although he did win a few headers.

Alcaraz looked very assured and a quality centreback.

pleasantly surprised by alcaraz...will definitely soften the blow of losing jags for a month with performances like that

coleman just can't do anything wrong at the moment...rivals zabaleta as the best right back around for me

mccarthy...just wow...he said he'd step it up in the absence of barry and boy did he..awesome run and flick for the goal too

oh and saw someone else say this too..naismith is awesome in the air for his size

Edited by marcopaulo

Good 3 points, managed to watch as much as possible while looking after the new arrival - he didn't react when I shouted the house down for Coleman's goal.

Love McCarthy, he's the midfielder we've been crying out for. Fellaini was about stature, control and strength. This lad is like an overly energetic dog chasing, nipping and exhausting the opponents. When he gets the ball he knows just what to do. He gives our midfield so much more bite and energy. £13m... Bargain.

There aren't any better attacking full backs than Coleman in the prem this season, simple as that.

Lets see what surprises RM has in store for January. Based on the signings we have seen so far, bodes well for the future.

Edited by Hafnia

dont know what all the fuzz is about alcaraz. i studied him last night and he gets drawn to rhe ball far too often without looking at whats around him. good on the ball though. typical RM defender.

He did ok but to get 6 MOTM votes on this forum does disservice to Distin who was equally if not better the Alcaraz. Problem for Distin is that we've come to expect his top performances week in week out.

Just catching up on the beeb coverage of yesterday....mistake by Ratcliffe...

Former Everton captain Kevin Ratcliffe at Goodison ParkEverton 1-1 Southampton

"It is a terrific strike, but what is the goalkeeper doing? It looked like an elementary save.

"What was he thinking? It went right through his hands.

"I am surprised Southampton had not tested him earlier. He had the sun in his eyes in the first half."

...no he didn't.

dont know what all the fuzz is about alcaraz. i studied him last night and he gets drawn to rhe ball far too often without looking at whats around him. good on the ball though. typical RM defender.

He did ok but to get 6 MOTM votes on this forum does disservice to Distin who was equally if not better the Alcaraz. Problem for Distin is that we've come to expect his top performances week in week out.

He was excellent all game and his positioning was brilliant. I didnt see any examples of him getting drawn to the ball and if anything he made several important clearances due to his positioning from crosses/balls into the box. He brought the ball out of defence nicely too and pinged a couple of intelligent passes.

Distin was solid but he did have his hairy moments as well and their best chances just before and after half time were partly due to him.