IGNORED

Crystal Palace (home)

Matt

gutted, but we're only 1 point behind the arse, and they have the FA cup still and a decent hull team this weekend (come on nikica, help us out!).

for me, gerry and mirallas can't play together. they are too selfish and do not pass. i am over gerry, he can ride the bench and be an impact sub from now on, i said it earlier, he puts his head down and does the same move every time, i'd rather osman than him (and you all know how much i rail on osman). kev was okay, he at least passes a little bit, but to me with the system we have, he still hogs the ball too much.

barry was terrible, absolute shite, glad barkley stepped it up in the deep role, but then we really missed him in the attack. and we really needed him there today.

coleman and baines were neutralized and couldn't do much, howard could have saved at least 1 of the goals.

overall team shit performance, let's hope they get it together to take out united and lock down 5th.

Naisy with the goal go figure, hard working and clinical (take note ROM). McGeady i thought was decent, if we didn't have gerry and had ossie on or pienaar i thought the balance would have been nice. he does pass and puts balls in the box. he's pacy and more direct and makes runs. i quite like him.

Edited by markjazzbassist

gutted, but we're only 1 point behind the arse, and they have the FA cup still and a decent hull team this weekend (come on nikica, help us out!).

for me, gerry and mirallas can't play together. they are too selfish and do not pass. i am over gerry, he can ride the bench and be an impact sub from now on, i said it earlier, he puts his head down and does the same move every time, i'd rather osman than him (and you all know how much i rail on osman). kev was okay, he at least passes a little bit, but to me with the system we have, he still hogs the ball too much.

barry was terrible, absolute shite, glad barkley stepped it up in the deep role, but then we really missed him in the attack. and we really needed him there today.

coleman and baines were neutralized and couldn't do much, howard could have saved at least 1 of the goals.

overall team shit performance, let's hope they get it together to take out united and lock down 5th.

Jelavic is injured?

What exactly did he get wrong then?

McCarthy starting or not starting didnt really make much difference. Barry was more wasteful than usual tonight but he has done that before alongside McCarthy anyway. Barkley also played well from deep.

We played 3 attacking players behind the striker in Mirallas, McGeady and Deulofeu and I dont see how he completely ballsed up that decision. Mirallas played well for the most part, Deulofeu was played to expose their FB which he did but didnt deliver the final pass and whilst McGeady was frustrating he did a fair amount of good things too.

The one area that I do think he missed out on was starting Lukaku ahead of Naismith. Im not sure if I mentioned it on here or somewhere else pregame but Naismith's movement and awareness of space would have been more suited to a packed defence whereas Lukaku is far more suited to running at teams and counter attacking like he did against Arsenal.

Other than upfront I dont really understand what else anyone could have been expecting. This was always going to be a test of our patience and we didnt succeed. We forced the ball too often when a pass wasnt on and at other times we ignored a pass that was on. Unfortunately these type of games happen and if you dont convert the chances you create or make the most of the opportunities you find yourself in you wont win the game.

What exactly did he get wrong then?

McCarthy starting or not starting didnt really make much difference. Barry was more wasteful than usual tonight but he has done that before alongside McCarthy anyway. Barkley also played well from deep.

We played 3 attacking players behind the striker in Mirallas, McGeady and Deulofeu and I dont see how he completely ballsed up that decision. Mirallas played well for the most part, Deulofeu was played to expose their FB which he did but didnt deliver the final pass and whilst McGeady was frustrating he did a fair amount of good things too.

The one area that I do think he missed out on was starting Lukaku ahead of Naismith. Im not sure if I mentioned it on here or somewhere else pregame but Naismith's movement and awareness of space would have been more suited to a packed defence whereas Lukaku is far more suited to running at teams and counter attacking like he did against Arsenal.

Other than upfront I dont really understand what else anyone could have been expecting. This was always going to be a test of our patience and we didnt succeed. We forced the ball too often when a pass wasnt on and at other times we ignored a pass that was on. Unfortunately these type of games happen and if you dont convert the chances you create or make the most of the opportunities you find yourself in you wont win the game.

Bailey, I don't know how you get away with it at times. He got the lineup completely wrong! Hence the defeat and awful performance.

McCarthy should have played. Either Mcgeady or Deulofeu on the bench.

We needed Jags tonight... far too much standing off in defence.

Really poor atmosphere until 0-1, then 1-2 and 2-3.

Roberto was bold in his selection - he knew they'd sit back but it resulted in us only playing down the flanks with only Rom in the box, we needed Naismith with him from the start and we desperately need more strikers (which we all know).

Hats off to Palace... I think we've just been Pullised!!! On Pullis, I would put him in the top 3 with Rodgers and Martinez for manager of the season - he's worked a miracle at Palace.

We needed Jags tonight... far too much standing off in defence.

Really poor atmosphere until 0-1, then 1-2 and 2-3.

Roberto was bold in his selection - he knew they'd sit back but it resulted in us only playing down the flanks with only Rom in the box, we needed Naismith with him from the start and we desperately need more strikers (which we all know).

Hats off to Palace... I think we've just been Pullised!!! On Pullis, I would put him in the top 3 with Rodgers and Martinez for manager of the season - he's worked a miracle at Palace.

One person we did not need was Jagielka! We needed something going forward. Our Full backs were terrible. Centre backs were ok

i kept thinking the same thing the whole match. his physicality is what we needed, i don't think stones did that well and was at fault for at least one of the goals.

What stood out was Stones' composure on the ball, which was incredible at times... but the thing that lost it tonight was we let them score 3 goals from 4/5 attacks - yes we didn't have the usual extra protection from Barry/McCarthy combo but his job primarily is to defend and Jags is our best defender.

Stones is brilliant but he's still very raw defensively.

What stood out was Stones' composure on the ball, which was incredible at times... but the thing that lost it tonight was we let them score 3 goals from 4/5 attacks - yes we didn't have the usual extra protection from Barry/McCarthy combo but his job primarily is to defend and Jags is our best defender.

Stones is brilliant but he's still very raw defensively.

How the hell can you criticise Stones defensively. He's been solid! The last player who should be critisised.

How the hell can you criticise Stones defensively. He's been solid! The last player who should be critisised.

He makes a lot of mistakes but thankfully they're not all punished - I expect him to make mistakes and Martinez 'allows' him to as it will happen with any young centre back. I'm not criticising him negatively, I'm stating facts. I want him in the team but our best cb pairing defensively is Jags/Distin and with all our attacking players today that would have been the best pairing but obviously Jags wasn't available. Hence, we missed Jags today.

Guest blueboy122

Like most of you I feel devastated, hurt, let down etc.

I think a lot of us on here, saw this coming to be fair or at least expected a difficult game.

All hindsight stuff should have played x,y,z.

However in my opinion that team put out tonight was more than capable of beating a Palace side.

Like most of you I feel devastated, hurt, let down etc.

I think a lot of us on here, saw this coming to be fair or at least expected a difficult game.

All hindsight stuff should have played x,y,z.

However in my opinion that team put out tonight was more than capable of beating a Palace side.

Seen a lot of that in recent readings on tonights post-game analysis, but I for one, didn't expect anything other than another (comprehensive) Everton victory. That it didn't arrive and the South London side managed to take three points home provided nothing short of bemusement when first learning of the outcome.

Risk of any backlash, was unable to keep up with tonights events and saw nothing by way of the game - but - read one or two reports and post game reaction on what occured and perhaps it was just as well I didn't get involved in this - would have done the health no favors for sure. The Sunderland game at the last weekend was bad enough to live through.

What's more, Manchester City drop points at home to (said) Sunderland (!) to add salt to the wound, and to further provide a major disappointment. League table would indicate we still have a game in hand on Arsenal - but what an opportunity missed with this game

I don't care if Crystal Palace are some improved side or doing well recent, the fact remains, didn't envisage anything other than a fine home win for this encounter. That's seven wins and one loss in last eight games as it stands by my math, so while tonight was a real disappointment, hopefully the team can recover quickly from this setback and give Manchester United a good game next up and hopefully back on track real soon. Did anyone even prophesize an away win for tonights game in the predictions section ? In all probability no, it's been going so well for us, but in this sport, guess anything can - and will - occur.

The biggest lesson I learned tonight is that McCarthy is the heartbeat of the team. Indeed, you could almost say that the team is built around him. When he's not there, we play without a soul.

Stones was great. McGeady continues to get better. Barkley wanted to do well but didn't really click. Naismith had his moment but drifted in and out. As for the others, they either played too selfishly or didn't show up. How Mirallas missed that sitter in injury time I shall never know - trying too hard, maybe.

Still, time to pick up the pieces and hammer United.

I agree last night did not suit lukaku he looked lost we missed Barkley behind the attacker. When I heard the team it made me nervous we didn't have mcarthy in. We really need a stronger striker to hold the ball up but also get in the box for all the crosses we throw in. I suppose frog a is the closest thing I can think of .

I can't describe how much I hate Pulis, proper saps the footballing life out of his teams by getting them to time waste from minute 1 and break up play with every opportunity, but, he got it spot on last night that added to us fielding a too attacking team led to us losing.

Can't win them all though and we are only 1 point off 4th, we needed a defeat after playing poorly IMO as it should wake the players up a bit and make the crowd realise we don't have a god given right to win every game at home, atmosphere is always terrible until we score!!

It won't be on Sunday which is a massive game for us now, I can't wait for it!!

I can't describe how much I hate Pulis, proper saps the footballing life out of his teams by getting them to time waste from minute 1 and break up play with every opportunity, but, he got it spot on last night that added to us fielding a too attacking team led to us losing.

Definitely been 'Pulissed'. I can imagine Martinez spewing about how they played anti football at times.

Still can't believe it... 3 goals from 4 shots.

The biggest lesson I learned tonight is that McCarthy is the heartbeat of the team. Indeed, you could almost say that the team is built around him. When he's not there, we play without a soul.

If one of McCarthy or Barry is to be sacrificed for a more attacking player it should only ever be Barry, IMO. While Barry has been fantastic for us, if he's having an off game, like last night, he has zero effect on our play. At least if McCarhy is below par you still get his energy in the middle of the park, and energy there is vital to the way we play.

Edited by Romey 1878

All I can say is that I'm glad I wasn't able to watch it live because I'd have been a lot angrier. Goes back to what Martinez says about small margins.

Unfortunately it seems when he gets it right, he gets it very right. When he gets it wrong, he gets it very wrong. Doesn't detract from how good a season we've had overall but it's very disappointing that once again when it matters that we just serve up a performance like that. Still possible, Hull away will be a tough game for Arsenal.

Put United to the sword on Sunday and we'll be back in it.

Not sure about the criticism of Howard, the Puncheon and Jerome's finishes were clinical and perfectly placed, they took paint off the posts as the went in. The header, well what is he supposed to do in that situation?

Some very frustrating things surfaced from todays game:

- Martinez still seems to struggle to have an answer for teams packing the box.

Palace did this exact thing at Selhurst Park, except this time they picked up goals as well. I'm not having a go at Martinez, it's just become pretty blatant to me at the moment that with our squad he hasn't found the best way to combat a team sitting back. We look boss countering teams, but when we build up from the back and pressure teams we're toothless in the final third.

- We may as well just give our corner kicks to the opposition to take as goal kicks. We are so, so, so bad at getting a decent head on the ball to challenge the keeper. The last time I can recall us scoring directly from a corner (Naismith's deflected effort recently doesn't count) was Lukaku's header at Gladys Street end against Liverpool. That was like 6 months ago now.

I don't think the race for fourth is over. I have no doubt Arsenal will drop points in their last four games, so it's up to the blues to get as many points as they can to keep the pressure on Arsenal. They can start by bending Moyes over and embarrassing him at a hostile Goodison Park on Sunday.

COYB we love you!

If i would have been told at the start of the season i would be feeling sick because we may have blown fourth place i would have laughed my bollocks off!

Today i feel sick and suicidal. But perspective is starting to take over and i am realising how well we have done and that it's not over quite yet. have hope and believe and we may be suprised.

Of course, some of the United fans now believe they can sneak fifth or even fourth place, so it will be important to whack them hard this weekend. A five goal margin should do it.

Can recall a similar margin victory expected against Palace.

I'd be happy with an Arsenal type performance (not talking about the result).

Advice on corner kicks!...........just whack it back to Howard, we can do more damage from there :(