Belgium is using a weird line-up:

-------------------------------Courtois

Vanden Borre - Van Buyten - Lombaerts - Vertonghen

--------------------------Defour - Dembele

-------------------Januzaj - Fellaini - Mertens

-------------------------------Mirallas

Edited by Mirallas

Ghana to the rescue (for now)?

Actually, that possibly makes the situation worse, because they only need one more :unsure:.

If Ghana won 2-1 and the US lost 1-0 they'd still be okay, because both teams would have 4 goals for and 4 against, with the US advancing on head-to-head.

If the US concedes a second, though, things will start getting dicey.

Belgium isn't taking this game seriously at all... The key midfielder is resting (Witsel), so is the key playmaker (De Bruyne) the entire attack is reshuffled, without Hazard and there's Vanden Borre as a RB... Everything that makes Belium win games has been removed from the line-up.

So happy that the US is going through. Just relieved. Cheers to my fellow Yanks on here (Tonka, MarkJazz, ToffeeinLA, who else? JoeQuince?) and thanks to all my English pals on this board and on Twitter who seem to have a soft spot for the USA. Big deal to get out of that group.

I kind of feel like a dog with my tail between my legs after bellyflopping out of the group. Now though I am just happy to be in the round of 16 where anything can happen. Belgium has not looked great thus far, we have a chance :)

I kind of feel like a dog with my tail between my legs after bellyflopping out of the group. Now though I am just happy to be in the round of 16 where anything can happen. Belgium has not looked great thus far, we have a chance :)

Let's be hones tthough, it's not like Germany destroyed us. Heck, had we been a tad better in possession and on the counter, we really could've snagged a draw there.

Let's be hones tthough, it's not like Germany destroyed us. Heck, had we been a tad better in possession and on the counter, we really could've snagged a draw there.

Pretty optimistic man, Germany were really the only ones looking for the winner there, especially the first 15 mins of each half and outside a couple of spells and the last 10 mins of the game, the US were defending and defending and defending some more. It was nerve wracking having the Ghana game on my laptop and watching 'em come close to getting the winner.

Edit: Indeed Cotto, I remember watching him play for Milan a couple of times and thinking, damn he loves flirting with the defensive line far too much haha. Didn't Sir Alex make a comment about him?

Edited by Toffee_in_LA

Tim Howard always has a couple big saves for us each match, Glad he's an Evertonian :)

Now for Belgium and Mirallas!

Thought Howard should have done better with the initial save for the goal tbh.

Belgium have been poor again. If Origi has been so good in training its a little bit of a surprise they have started with Mirallas upfront!

Mertens has disappointed me too. Missed a sitter, chosen to shoot when team mates are in better positions and generally not made many great decisions. Dembele doesnt look the player of a couple of seasons back either.

Pretty optimistic man, Germany were really the only ones looking for the winner there, especially the first 15 mins of each half and outside a couple of spells and the last 10 mins of the game, the US were defending and defending and defending some more. It was nerve wracking having the Ghana game on my laptop and watching 'em come close to getting the winner.

Edit: Indeed Cotto, I remember watching him play for Milan a couple of times and thinking, damn he loves flirting with the defensive line far too much haha. Didn't Sir Alex make a comment about him?

Not really. We really weren't taken to town by Germany. 1-0, they dominated possession, but it never looked like it was going to be 3-0, 4-0, 5-0.

Really pleased USA are through. They could have nicked a draw at the end, but for Lahm. If scoring goals wasn't perhaps the only proviso for tipping the votes for best player in the world then Lahm would be in with a shout. He is a world class player.

Edited by Cake

Not really. We really weren't taken to town by Germany. 1-0, they dominated possession, but it never looked like it was going to be 3-0, 4-0, 5-0.

Fair enough, guess I'm exaggerating as I was a pretty nervous wreck those last 30 or so mins. Interesting that if Algeria can nick a winner and South Korea can beat this 10 man unimpressive Belgium team, we'd get a rematch against Algeria in the knock-out stage.

Fair enough, guess I'm exaggerating as I was a pretty nervous wreck those last 30 or so mins. Interesting that if Algeria can nick a winner and South Korea can beat this 10 man unimpressive Belgium team, we'd get a rematch against Algeria in the knock-out stage.

Maybe then we'll become to them what Ghana was to us the last couple of World Cups.

Maybe then we'll become to them what Ghana was to us the last couple of World Cups.

That's what I'm hoping for :yay: . Korea is all over Belgium right now and Algeria have had a couple decent shouts. Just need one goal from each

Edit: Wrong team with the goal :dry: . I know this isn't all of Belgium's starters but their team just hasn't gelled well at all. The US have a decent shot against them for sure

Edited by Toffee_in_LA