World Cup...

Guest Nikica

Last 16 - my preferred teams to go through in bold:

Brazil v Chile - to see Neymar again

Colombia v Uruguay - to see James Rodriguez again

Netherlands v Mexico - not to see Arjen Robben again

Costa Rica v Greece - they will make more of a game of it than Greece

France v Nigeria - not to see France again

Germany v Algeria - so there is at least 1 European team through with a chance of winning the whole thing (but maybe no realistic hope of doing so?)

Argentina v Switzerland - Argentina are more entertaining than Switzerland

Belgium v USA - I Believe.......

Very surprised to see Europe lose so many, so much for the European dominance! Maybe the Americas aren't so bad after all! Africa and Asia really do need some allocation removed though. They just can't seem to ever do that well.

Haha :)

Defensively he was actually very good, he chipped in with some really good challenges as the game went on just showing his knack fo nicking the ball of someone when they looked likely to shoot. Attacking wise though he was wasteful. Still amuses me when people claim he is best as an attacking midfielder!

Agree with that wholeheartedly; amused me more when someone said recently that his first touch was poor! Rarely seen anyone control the ball on his chest better, great skill.

Very surprised to see Europe lose so many, so much for the European dominance! Maybe the Americas aren't so bad after all! Africa and Asia really do need some allocation removed though. They just can't seem to ever do that well.

Africa's problem is that none of their countries have been able to establish sustained World Cup success - they get to the second round or the quarterfinal at one World Cup, and then flame out at the next one; there's no consistent run of form. Nigeria (1994, 1998, 2014) and Ghana (2006, 2010) are actually the only African countries that have ever qualified for the knockouts more than once. Cameroon had that Cinderella quarterfinal run in 1990, and do you know what their record is in the five World Cups they've qualified for since? 1 win, 4 draws, and 10 losses! And those three countries (along with Algeria) have been the continent's most successful World Cup sides over the last 32 years (Senegal had that one good quarterfinal run, but they haven't qualified for another World Cup before or since). Contrast that with CONCACAF, which admittedly doesn't have much depth but its top teams come to play at just about every World Cup. Since 1986, Mexico is 7-for-7 in reaching the knockouts, the USA is 4-for-6, and Costa Rica is 2-for-4 (and one of the times they missed was in 2002 when they tied for second in a group that produced TWO semifinalists that year - champs Brazil and Turkey - but got eliminated on goal differential).

There was one small bit of progress this year, however - this is actually the first-ever World Cup that's seen Africa put two teams in the second round.

Africa's problem is that none of their countries have been able to establish sustained World Cup success - they get to the second round or the quarterfinal at one World Cup, and then flame out at the next one; there's no consistent run of form. Nigeria (1994, 1998, 2014) and Ghana (2006, 2010) are actually the only African countries that have ever qualified for the knockouts more than once. Cameroon had that Cinderella quarterfinal run in 1990, and do you know what their record is in the five World Cups they've qualified for since? 1 win, 4 draws, and 10 losses! And those three countries (along with Algeria) have been the continent's most successful World Cup sides over the last 32 years (Senegal had that one good quarterfinal run, but they haven't qualified for another World Cup before or since). Contrast that with CONCACAF, which admittedly doesn't have much depth but its top teams come to play at just about every World Cup. Since 1986, Mexico is 7-for-7 in reaching the knockouts, the USA is 4-for-6, and Costa Rica is 2-for-4 (and one of the times they missed was in 2002 when they tied for second in a group that produced TWO semifinalists that year - champs Brazil and Turkey - but got eliminated on goal differential).

There was one small bit of progress this year, however - this is actually the first-ever World Cup that's seen Africa put two teams in the second round.

Good post!

Chile so unlucky there!

Yeah. Bit sad about it to be honest; could so easily have won it in the last minute of extra time and if that last pen had been half an inch to the left it'd have gone in.

Probably good for the tournament that Brazil still in it but a shame. Great game from Howard Webb incidentally.

Regarding the World Cup as a whole, any team still in it can win it. But only one will. So Who do you think will win it using your head? and who will you support using your heart (until they get knocked out obviously)

I have decided that I want Kevin Mirallas to have a winners medal to show off to the lads with, so I will (from this day onwards) support Belgium in the world cup)

I do think that Argentina will win the competition though.