IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

Interesting stat: including the US and Portugal today, the teams who had to play a match in Manaus went 1-5 in their next games and were outscored 12-5, and only two of the eight countries who played in Manaus (USA and Switzerland) made it through the group stage (Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, Cameroon, and Honduras are the six going home).

Honduras/Switzerland yesterday was the last game scheduled for Manaus; it'll be interesting to see how much energy the Swiss bring to the pitch against Argentina.

That's what I'm hoping for :yay: . Korea is all over Belgium right now and Algeria have had a couple decent shouts. Just need one goal from each

Edit: Wrong team with the goal :dry: . I know this isn't all of Belgium's starters but their team just hasn't gelled well at all. The US have a decent shot against them for sure

Korea was never all over Belgium... Belgium held the game firmly in their grip. And this is what happens when your defense is unbeaten: even when you're down to 10 men, you can survive and sooner or later you're gonna score a goal. That's how Belgium is going through this WC and it's very similar to what Chelsea did in Camp Nou in 2012. Deserved nonetheless :)

That's what I'm hoping for :yay: . Korea is all over Belgium right now and Algeria have had a couple decent shouts. Just need one goal from each

Edit: Wrong team with the goal :dry: . I know this isn't all of Belgium's starters but their team just hasn't gelled well at all. The US have a decent shot against them for sure

I think the US will have it easier against Belgium than Algeria. Algeria are as hardworking as the US if not more so and they have a bit more pace than the US. If the US can 'get at' Belgium, they will beat them!

Korea was never all over Belgium... Belgium held the game firmly in their grip. And this is what happens when your defense is unbeaten: even when you're down to 10 men, you can survive and sooner or later you're gonna score a goal. That's how Belgium is going through this WC and it's very similar to what Chelsea did in Camp Nou in 2012. Deserved nonetheless :)

Belgium seemed to lose their foothold to me(expected when you're down to 10 men). Korea have had 1 or 2 decent shots that they haven't capitalized. What are your thoughts on Origi getting in over Lukaku? Think they are just resting him for the knock out stage or has Origi moved above the pecking order?

I think the US will have it easier against Belgium than Algeria. Algeria are as hardworking as the US if not more so and they have a bit more pace than the US. If the US can 'get at' Belgium, they will beat them!

The US will have a lot of difficulties scoring against Belgium. In that way it's a lot harder than against Algeria. Moreover, Algeria's attack isn't superior to Belgium's. What your remark is based on is a mystery to me, even the results show otherwise.

Not sure I agree Mike. Felli has had his moments but he has messed up a few times when he has got forward. Solid enough display though!

Must admit that I have been impressed with Origi since he came on under difficult circumstances. Quick, strong, good first touch, confident, has a trick and can finish. He is still raw but he has something about him.

Korea have a pretty good technical team. IF football was won between both boxes they would be a great team.

Not sure I agree Mike. Felli has had his moments but he has messed up a few times when he has got forward. Solid enough display though!

And what the fuck do you know eh :shaking fist:?

I never claim to be a student or authority on the game because I was never that good at it and I bow to many people's opinions on here; people who plainly know more than I do. Normally you're one of them them Bailey but tonight you're just plain wrong B).

Or maybe I am :unsure:.

Some unexpected results in this world cup so far!

Miralles...what do you Belgians think of your team so far? They've picked up maximum points but we still seem to expect more?! Are we seeing the best yet?

Like many people, I was looking forward to seeing Belgium to see how all those bug individual names play as a team.

Some unexpected results in this world cup so far!

Miralles...what do you Belgians think of your team so far? They've picked up maximum points but we still seem to expect more?! Are we seeing the best yet?

Like many people, I was looking forward to seeing Belgium to see how all those bug individual names play as a team.

They have never been known for esthetically very appealing football. I haven't expected more, maybe different. But I have started to really enjoy the defensive strength. Today's game was absolutely the most exciting one i've seen so far. Just the sheer tension of being down to 10 against those hyperdynamic koreans. If your defense survivs that ordeal, I think we're ready for the next round. Moreover, our best players were rested, so the USA will probably face a very difficult game.

The US will have a lot of difficulties scoring against Belgium. In that way it's a lot harder than against Algeria. Moreover, Algeria's attack isn't superior to Belgium's. What your remark is based on is a mystery to me, even the results show otherwise.

I agree the US will have difficulty in scoring against Belgium, as they do against most teams, but Vertonghen seemed to play quite well tonight so he's due another nightmare. As for Belgium's attack - I doubt the US will be shitting a brick about that - 2 goals from substitutes to beat Algeria, an 88th minute goal to beat Russia and a potentially offside goal from a central defender to beat South Korea. A total of 4 goals scored against what you class as inferior opposition, so Spain you ain't (South Africa). It's based on performances, not results, so you can unmystify yourself now. USA have every chance of beating Belgium.

They have never been known for esthetically very appealing football. I haven't expected more, maybe different. But I have started to really enjoy the defensive strength. Today's game was absolutely the most exciting one i've seen so far. Just the sheer tension of being down to 10 against those hyperdynamic koreans. If your defense survivs that ordeal, I think we're ready for the next round. Moreover, our best players were rested, so the USA will probably face a very difficult game.

I expect a full strength Belgium to best the U S of A. However, you just don't know...Some very surprising results going on.

10/10 to Gordon Strachan tonight for shutting up the likes of Sausage Roll Face Chiles who was trying to get all moralistic about Suarez - Strachan reminded him there are no morals in football as there have been wife-beaters, infidelity, Cantona kung-fu kicking a supporter in the chest, and so on and when they come back after their bans or after being exposed the supporters love them so don't talk about morals because there aren't any - it's about money. If a youth player did what Suarez, Cantona, Cisse (Djibril), etc did they would be gone without trace.

Maybe the best thing that can happen is for someone to smack Suarez and knock his bastard teeth out?

Maybe the best thing that can happen is for someone to smack Suarez and knock his bastard teeth out?

Mystery to me is why with all his money he's never have some orthodontic work done; he must have a real dentist phobia (unless he feels his bite threat is a useful weapon that he wants to keep).

Mystery to me is why with all his money he's never have some orthodontic work done; he must have a real dentist phobia (unless he feels his bite threat is a useful weapon that he wants to keep).

I used to say that about Freddie mercury, it turns out it would have messed up his vocals.... Suarez could burst a football with his teeth.

Continental representation for the second round

Europe: 6 (of 13)

South America: 5 (of 6)

North America: 3 (of 4)

Africa: 2 (of 5)

Asia: 0 (of 4)

Fantastic. Hopefully concacaf and South America get some more allocation for the World Cup. Europe, Africa, and Asia on the decline.

Long live the Americas!

Quoting myself here but anyone else surprised at European demise? Asia I didn't expect much from, but both them and Africa really looked rough. Might be time to change the allocation.

Thought?

Edited by markjazzbassist

I agree the US will have difficulty in scoring against Belgium, as they do against most teams, but Vertonghen seemed to play quite well tonight so he's due another nightmare. As for Belgium's attack - I doubt the US will be shitting a brick about that - 2 goals from substitutes to beat Algeria, an 88th minute goal to beat Russia and a potentially offside goal from a central defender to beat South Korea. A total of 4 goals scored against what you class as inferior opposition, so Spain you ain't (South Africa). It's based on performances, not results, so you can unmystify yourself now. USA have every chance of beating Belgium.

Same amount of goals that we scored; except we scored them against better opponents. :67:

Last 16 - my preferred teams to go through in bold:

Brazil v Chile - to see Neymar again

Colombia v Uruguay - to see James Rodriguez again

Netherlands v Mexico - not to see Arjen Robben again

Costa Rica v Greece - they will make more of a game of it than Greece

France v Nigeria - not to see France again

Germany v Algeria - so there is at least 1 European team through with a chance of winning the whole thing (but maybe no realistic hope of doing so?)

Argentina v Switzerland - Argentina are more entertaining than Switzerland

Belgium v USA - I Believe.......

The way he was holding his teeth was scary, to me. It was child-like and almost as though he was blaming his teeth for having a mind of their own and he was making sure they were alright, as if they were some sort of alter ego and not actually a part of him. Then he goes and says Chiellini ran into his chest, exonerating his teeth of any blame.

And what the fuck do you know eh :shaking fist:?

I never claim to be a student or authority on the game because I was never that good at it and I bow to many people's opinions on here; people who plainly know more than I do. Normally you're one of them them Bailey but tonight you're just plain wrong B).

Or maybe I am :unsure:.

Haha :)

Defensively he was actually very good, he chipped in with some really good challenges as the game went on just showing his knack fo nicking the ball of someone when they looked likely to shoot. Attacking wise though he was wasteful. Still amuses me when people claim he is best as an attacking midfielder!

Last 16 - my preferred teams to go through in bold:

Brazil v Chile - to see Neymar again

Colombia v Uruguay - to see James Rodriguez again

Netherlands v Mexico - not to see Arjen Robben again

Costa Rica v Greece - they will make more of a game of it than Greece

France v Nigeria - not to see France again

Germany v Algeria - so there is at least 1 European team through with a chance of winning the whole thing (but maybe no realistic hope of doing so?)

Argentina v Switzerland - Argentina are more entertaining than Switzerland

Belgium v USA - I Believe.......

Some interesting matches in there. I think Chile, Colombia, Holland, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Argentina and the USA will go through. The last game will be tight though as I could see either going through but I like the way that the USA are more of a team as opposed to the individual talent of Belgium.

I would love to see one of Chile or Colombia go a long way but I think my favourites at this stage might be France. They have really impressed me with how they are playing and they have plenty of goals in them.