IGNORED

Samuel Eto'o

Played on the wing for Inter and Anzhi as well I believe rather than as a real centre forward. Of course he's past his best now but if he wasn't then a "Eto'o signs for Everton" story would be a hoax to unrealistic to make for a good on April's Fools' Day joke. Questioning his character because he accepted to go play in Russia for €20m a year or whatever people claimed he was making is pretty silly as well imo. Every one of our players would have done the sam

Completely agree.

Edited by nutmegwolf203

I work in Manchester but live on the Wirral, today ive had so many people come up to me to say what a great signing he is. I wasn't sure at all about Eto but now he is here I think it might be one of the signings of the season. Barry signs for £2 mill at the same age :dry: and on big wages, so even if he is on £50k a week I think its a statement by the club. He will score goals im sure of it.

Personally, not too excited about this. Here's why.

1997-present - Cameroon - 118 (56)

John Stones was still being potty trained when Eto'o first played for Cameroon. Goalies thrive in their 30s. Defenders continue into their 30s. But your attacking force? Not usually. He's past his prime, an injury risk, and will disappear to Africa in January.

I actually had to check it was you that posted that after reading the mate bit. Scouse is rubbing off on you :P.

I've actually just seen Crocodile Dundee, mate. (That's not true. Apparently it's been almost five years since I registered here and I'm on here every day probably.)

Personally, not too excited about this. Here's why.

John Stones was still being potty trained when Eto'o first played for Cameroon. Goalies thrive in their 30s. Defenders continue into their 30s. But your attacking force? Not usually. He's past his prime, an injury risk, and will disappear to Africa in January.

He's 33 and still scoring goals. He was the best striker in world football for a couple of years there so I wouldn't necessarily assume that what happens to most strikers will happen to him the same way. Will he actually go to the ACON btw? I read some rumors these past days that said he'd quit and might return in time for the next World Cup?

Drogba is 36 and African as well btw, yet Chelsea will trust him to be second choice.

Edited by Steve_E

If Eto goes to the Africans cup im sure Kone wont go out of allegiance if he is fit that is

Do we expect Koné to be called up even if he is fit? He'll have 2 or 3 months of football under his belt at most and they have other options (Bony, Doumbia, Ya Konan, Traoré, Drogba if he is still playing)

I've actually just seen Crocodile Dundee, mate. (That's not true. Apparently it's been almost five years since I registered here and I'm on here every day probably.)

He's 33 and still scoring goals. He was the best striker in world football for a couple of years there so I wouldn't necessarily assume that what happens to most strikers will happen to him the same way. Will he actually go to the ACON btw? I read some rumors these past days that said he'd quit and might return in time for the next World Cup?

Drogba is 36 and African as well btw, yet Chelsea will trust him to be second choice.

Of course, I'd like nothing better than to be proved wrong and for my nervousness to be unfounded. Now that I've expressed my concerns and got them off my chest, I'll be supporting him like everyone else.

Just watched that highlights video from Chelsea... I don't think I saw many goals from his time there but he is, in essence, a true poacher.

An opportunist. Someone who we haven't had for a long time. Getting increasingly more excited by the signing.

Can't wait to see if he can get fit.

One thing I love about Eto'o in that video of his goals at Chelsea is how so many of them were created out of his own hard work. If he works that hard on the field for us, everyone will love him. Another thing I love is that the other half of the goals were created by his skills on the ball. The touches he takes are fantastic, and I hope he teaches Lukaku a thing or two in his time here.

Great signing.

Smart signing, I too was reserved but if eto and Kone can chip in a few goals and give lukaku a break here and there then great business... It's been awhile since the idea of us sending out a second team for early cup games could have starters like Eto/Kone,Besic/Gibson, Stones and Oviedo. Squad depth WHEN fully fit is fantastic!

No matter how he performs off the field, Eto'o has always been a true competitor in the pitch: a hard worker, tireless runner that is there to win. I've never seen him tire or make up excuses, I've never seen him give up (except for racist incidents) and he's always been a nightmare for the defenders.

Even if he doesn't score as many goals, as long as he teaches Lukaku a thing or two about poaching, positioning, body control and other striker tricks I would be very happy. At the end of the day he's 33, after a long and successful career, but our main asset is 21 and shares with Eto'o many things to improve (Eto'o's first touch was awful when he was 15-21, he did not know how to dribble, he could not head the ball to save his life... he was just a extremely fast striker. Look where he is now and how much he improved!).

Now I would not worry so much if Lukaku gets injured against the likes of Sunderland or West Brom, I trust Eto'o more than I would trust Koné to find the back of the net.

Even if he is 20% less the player he was, it still makes him possibly the best striker we have had at the club in a long time.

Lukaku needs to be mentored by him, Eto can teach him smarter movement, a better attitude (i.e not having a lazy game) and hopefully work on minimising his "touch" errors.

If Martinez utilises Eto the right way and challenges him to get the best out of Lukaku - give him a project to get the kid firing on all cylinders we may see something special.

This fella has played with Ronaldinho, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta - he has won more medals than our whole team combined. With the right hunger and management this could be a signing similar to Howard Kendal when he brought in Andy Gray.

... Lukaku needs to be mentored by him, Eto can teach him smarter movement, a better attitude (i.e not having a lazy game) ...

"Eto'o can teach Lukaku a better attitude." Think about this for a couple of minutes.

How negative is your opinion on Rom exactly? Or are you oblivious to the terrible attitude Samel has shown in almost every step of his career?

He means his on the pitch attitude.

Lukaku can look lazy at times.

Someone pointed out above that a lot of Eto's goals for Chelsea where ones he made himself by chasing down. This is what Lukaku needs to learn.

We noticed against arsenal that timmy had to hoof out balls due to being chased down. Naismith was the only player I noticed do that in our team.

It's a terrible idea paying him daft wages for two years at his age, for a player that will probably flop at his possible last club.

I don't agree with it one bit. The clubs made several statements this year, however making statements and spending money you don't have are two different things.

I didnt agree with spending 28 million on Lukaku either, as much as I love him he wasnt worth it.

I really hope he proves me wrong, but a handful of goals from the bench isn't going to justify his wages.