IGNORED

Who were you as a kid?

You can tell alot about a guy by asking who they "were" as a kid when they played football with their mates. You know when you were young and about to start a game of footy, someone cries out "im Platini" someone else was Maradona etc. Who were you?

I was always Zico or Socrates. (Depending on if someone else called Zico before me)

Tommy Jones, the Everton centre-half in the late 1940's. What a classy centre-half he was. I was a centre-half and modelled myself on Tommy Jones. I have a match report from when I played for Harrogate Town which referred to me as a 'stylish player'. That's the nearest I got!

Kanchelskis.

I worshipped the ground that Man walked on. I even got to meet him and I couldn't say a word!

My best everton memories as a kid. Remeber waking up and seeing kanchelskis on the back of the mirror, raining at goodison with his umbrella on the pitch.

That was a huge signing back then. Got morning wood. Always remember him taking the piss at anfield.

Bally every time; I've posted this photo before but that's me back row third left in about 1970 with my beloved white boots.

jacobswell2.jpg

Nice photo Mike - some serious boots on the girl on the end, the one stood in front of the teacher!

I too was Bally, or Pele or Kendall or Husband or Eusebio or Lorimer or West or Bonetti depending who, what, where and when we were playing.

Nice photo Mike - some serious boots on the girl on the end, the one stood in front of the teacher!

That's not a girl that's Peter Harris :D. KId brother of Paul (front row second left) and I think they only had one pair of boots between them so Peter used to turn up wearing wellies. I remember the names of all but one of them even after all these years. And actually the "teacher" isn't a teacher, was a cub football team, not school, and he was Harry Pickup, father of Russell (front row first left) who helped my dad (behind the lens) run it.

Didn't have much to go on in the USA in the mid 70's in terms of me being exposed to the international game but I somehow found my way to Mario Kempes through a Mexican soccer magazine that my mom bought me, particularly during his Rosario and Valencia years. In retrospect, not a bad choice for a know-nothing surburbanite from Chicago.

Edited by verreauxi

Didn't have much to go on in the USA in the mid 70's in terms of me being exposed to the international game but I somehow found my way to Mario Kempes through a Mexican soccer magazine that my mom bought me, particularly during his Rosario and Valencia years. In retrospect, not a bad choice for a know-nothing surburbanite from Chicago.

And I had even less to go on since the NASL was in its death throes by the time I started playing schoolyard soccer in the mid 80's. Literally the only player I'd ever heard of at the time was Pele. Which was fine if I was running around trying to score, but most of the time I was the one volunteering to play keeper, and I didn't know the names of any pro keepers.

Maradona, always shorter than kids my own size but I was a nippy and pretty ace dribbler.

I stayed like that till 13 when I jibbed footy off, never got picked due to size which was a joke, I was far better than most but a lot smaller.

Didn't really play teenage years, focussed on golf, shot up and when I played again at 18 it was a different player. Physically so much stronger, good in the air, but I don't care what anyone says, low centre of gravity when running with a ball feels like cheating. Played at west Cheshire one level and really I think that if I stuck at it properly at 21 the Welsh league would have been my level, but I played half pissed from night before.

And I had even less to go on since the NASL was in its death throes by the time I started playing schoolyard soccer in the mid 80's. Literally the only player I'd ever heard of at the time was Pele. Which was fine if I was running around trying to score, but most of the time I was the one volunteering to play keeper, and I didn't know the names of any pro keepers.

Wasn't there a player called "Kyle Rote Jr." That never rolled off the tongue very well. "i'm Kyle Rote Junior!" (and trips over the ball).

Ronaldo, the original one! And big Dunc, only I couldn't head a ball. I did take a decent penalty though, I was the only lad near us who could hit a controlled penalty with my laces rather than my instep. Other than that I was shite.

Actually I was probably ahead of everyone, I used to wait in space for the ball, managers wanted me to be in the mix of things coz I was tall. I thought I'd be better off waiting in space to cause more damage. My mum and dad thought I was just scared of the ball haha maybe scared of one of the other lads breaking my legs more like!

Wasn't there a player called "Kyle Rote Jr." That never rolled off the tongue very well. "i'm Kyle Rote Junior!" (and trips over the ball).

Yep. Actually a cousin of Tobin Rote, the former Green Bay Packers/Detroit Lions quarterback.

I never imagined playing as either of them, though.

When I was in primary school, there was a Beano annual (I believe) with a cartoon story about "Wing Wizard". Playing inside left for the school team, I used to call myself "Tackling Wizard" - but no one else did! The most fun thing at that age was playing away games against Calstock school. If you kicked the ball hard enough, it would be in the Tamar.

When I was really young I would always be Ian Wright, thought he was brilliant. I met him a couple of years ago and told him how I loved him when I was a kid, he's a proper sound fella actually.

When I got a bit older and started playing properly, I was always Zidane. Best player to play the game IMO.