IGNORED

Injuries update

I thought Galloway did well considering.

I also don't believe in 2 attacking full backs either, it's stupid. On MNF Carragher basically ripped it apart, highlighting the ineffectiveness of the system (the system Martinez is persisting with btw).

I'd much prefer if Coleman was out and out attacking full back with a defensive winger in-front of him (Lennon) and the otherside with a defensive full back and an offensive minded winger like Geri or Mirallas. That way, it would stop McCarthy and Barry filling in the full back positions when we 'attack' on both flanks from full back positions and leave the biggest fucking gap in midfield, that you have ever seen.

Balance. What a wonderful word.

He defended the left side better than Baines ever has, and that is the number 1 job for a LB, more so if Mirallas is in front of them. Having wing-backs can be useful, but in our predictable and slow system we just get exploited.

If RM is relying on a LB for creativity he can fuck off and let someone with an ounce of attacking knowledge come in and find an AM.

I'll clarify. I'm not implying he is a LB, I'm just saying he did a hell of a lot better than some are giving him credit for. He tried to drive forward at every opportunity, he was quick, he got back and defended. He has proven capable, but is no long term solution.

Yet, let's drop this lad who is improving by the game for a "fan favourite" who isn't close to being fit? Just insane!

I'm not arsed about dropping him Matt, I'm arsed about what's best for the team and Oviedo (imo) is better suited in the system we play to play lb. galloways a young lad who knows he's just scratching the surface of the first team he wont expect to play regular and especially out of position.

The lads done nothing wrong he's done a job and I'm made up he has but we're in the business of winning games.

I'll clarify. I'm not implying he is a LB, I'm just saying he did a hell of a lot better than some are giving him credit for. He tried to drive forward at every opportunity, he was quick, he got back and defended. He has proven capable, but is no long term solution.

Yet, let's drop this lad who is improving by the game for a "fan favourite" who isn't close to being fit? Just insane!

But he doesn't seem to have a left footed cross in him at all. Bryan's the senior pro, a guy we brought in ostensibly to play left back. It's now or never for him. Maybe he needs 1 more week to get fit, but after that if he's not starting then he needs to be sold (in January, not now).

But he doesn't seem to have a left footed cross in him at all. Bryan's the senior pro, a guy we brought in ostensibly to play left back. It's now or never for him. Maybe he needs 1 more week to get fit, but after that if he's not starting then he needs to be sold (in January, not now).

fair comments, but I'm worried about the impact on a youngster who's made a very good impression vs a bit part, crowd favourite. Pros and cons either side

Guest rusty747

If Oviedo is fit he either plays or we should do the decent thing and sell him when Baines is fit again. I like Galloway but, as has already been mentioned, he is a cb not a lb. I am all for giving him a game here and there, but at cb in the Capital Cup, not lb against a premier team that could tear him a new one and destroy his confidence.

Edited by rusty747

Bit knee jerk? Garbutt has the chance of a near full season of playing FB which he needs more than we need him for 2-3 months. Long term speaking, I mean.

Ideally this would have been his chance to get game time at us. One of them though what's done is done.

Ideally this would have been his chance to get game time at us. One of them though what's done is done.

yeah, but looking for next season, cutting his experience short now is daft. As soon as Baines is fit he'd be out. Since he won't be fit until mid-October, it's silly.

If Oviedo is fit he needs to play. Don't worry about Garbutt, leave him to play all season. If our season is hinged on him coming back to play for us we are in trouble.

We need Oviedo fit ASAP, as good as Galloway is, his game is not going forward. We miss that too much.

So Matt the time out counts the time it takes to get fit as well? I thought it was just injury time to heal

There's a particular person on here that doesn't believe in match fitness, but I do. Getting fit (i.e. healed) is what I associate these numbers with, but then theres the mental fitness that can only be exercised on the pitch. Like Mike said, he'll be a new signing in the new year, more likely December, and Garbutt's out for another 5 weeks or so anyway (assuming no setbacks), so could potentially have 2 solid months with us, but then what?

We've got cover and I'd rather not lose out on any cash on a panic recall then send him out again in January.

I'm only going to be devastated about Baines being out for so long if Martinez utilises Galloway as his replacement for the entire duration he's out. No problem with him playing until Oviedo regains match fitness but any longer than that and I'll be disappointed.

That'll depend on whether Galloway continues to play well for me. Dropping him if he's doing a job is just bad for the kids development. Understand what you mean though...

There's a particular person on here that doesn't believe in match fitness, but I do. Getting fit (i.e. healed) is what I associate these numbers with, but then theres the mental fitness that can only be exercised on the pitch. Like Mike said, he'll be a new signing in the new year, more likely December, and Garbutt's out for another 5 weeks or so anyway (assuming no setbacks), so could potentially have 2 solid months with us, but then what?

We've got cover and I'd rather not lose out on any cash on a panic recall then send him out again in January.

Thank you. Not as bad as I thought then if he could be back before the busy holiday season.

That'll depend on whether Galloway continues to play well for me. Dropping him if he's doing a job is just bad for the kids development. Understand what you mean though...

If its handled well though Matt, it doesn't have to be. If Galloway can understand Bryan has a lot more attacking to his game than he does, then its purely tactical. Galloway is great at the back, and he should be as hes a centre half, but Oviedo can get forward, and we really need that attacking play down our left. Without it, it just invites pressure on the left back.

I don't get this pussy footing round players. Oviedo is the pro Gallowaty wouldn't of expected to be starting anyway. Oviedo is the senior player he should start it's that simple.

The better player in better form should be playing, seniority shouldn't trump a young lad having a good run.

If its handled well though Matt, it doesn't have to be. If Galloway can understand Bryan has a lot more attacking to his game than he does, then its purely tactical. Galloway is great at the back, and he should be as hes a centre half, but Oviedo can get forward, and we really need that attacking play down our left. Without it, it just invites pressure on the left back.

Fair enough. I just hate lads given a run out because we've no other option, they give their all and have good performances only to the dropped without thinking for an old favourite who takes a while to find his feet again. Pisses me off.