IGNORED

Aston Villa (H)

duncanmckenzieismagic

I think it's his temprement Haf, I think he's a confidence player and when confiddnt he's unstoppable but once that doubt starts to creep in his decision making, touch and strength seem to desert him.

I honestly think it's a mental thing with the lad but time will tell I suppose.

I got the same feel for him. After he scored his goal, he seemed more composed and confident, both with his play and his demeanor.

I'm a little concerned by his inability to transfer his size into power.

One of the best examples was Yak, once he set his feet no one was knocking him off the ball. Remember his shoulder barge in the derby? Its nothing to do with bulk, its core and legs.

Shearer, Suarez, Rooney (17/18), Gazza in his prime, Barkley. They all translated whatever they have into incredible force.

Some players are "soft", look the part but have no natural power.

I actually thought Lukaku was excellent after his goal, very direct and powerful runs forward. I actually noticed a few good first touches too.

I will knock him when he's bad but also give credit when due. End of the day I pray he turns out to be great.

Barkley was great today too, but it was the performance of a team that won not one player and although that player made a big difference, it would have been far less effective if others weren't on form too.

Besic has all the tools to be better than all the players mentioned, he could be a top 3 defensive midfielder in the world. Gerrards athleticism and Alonso's passing.

Saying he has Alonso's passing is way too much of a stretch. I think Besic has skills and certainly has bags of potential. But, he's hardly got Alonso's passing skills. Maybe someday. I'd be happy if he was at least consistently well above average. Him becoming Alonso good would make him one of the best buys anyone had made in some time.

Guest blueboy122

An you'r a grade A scrotum. You just can't stay away from the popcorn can you.

And that is the extent of your knowledge that you bring to this forum?

Anything else?

Gobshite absolute gobshite.

I also thought Lukaku was excellent in the 2nd half. Linked the game well, played some nice passes and took his fortunate goal well.

This. First half I thought he looked frustrated because we were often only looking to go sideways or backwards with the ball. I watched him make a fair few runs into space to receive a pass, only for the man with the ball to stop, turn around and play it elsewhere at walking pace.

I think it's his temprement Haf, I think he's a confidence player and when confiddnt he's unstoppable but once that doubt starts to creep in his decision making, touch and strength seem to desert him.

I honestly think it's a mental thing with the lad but time will tell I suppose.

I agree totally with this - once he scored his goal he looked far more confident in everything he did.

I actually thought Lukaku was excellent after his goal, very direct and powerful runs forward. I actually noticed a few good first touches too.

Ding ding!

Saying he has Alonso's passing is way too much of a stretch. I think Besic has skills and certainly has bags of potential. But, he's hardly got Alonso's passing skills. Maybe someday. I'd be happy if he was at least consistently well above average. Him becoming Alonso good would make him one of the best buys anyone had made in some time.

What I like about Besic is that he has the energy and tenacity of McCarthy but the passing range of Barry, and thrown in for good measure he has his own skill set as well (driving forward, shooting at goal, can put a tackle in etc). So for me, he's more of an all round midfielder and the perfect foil for McCarthy.

Good all round performance from all yesterday and a much needed clean sheet

Having Barkley back and that driving force through the middle made an obvious difference and one of my only gripes with Martinez thus far was not bringing in another creative central player to cover/rotate with him as it's our biggest weakness for me.

I think having him back will have a detrimental effect on Lukaku and the amount and quality of service he receives and although he has been pretty poor for the most part so far I do agree he's a confidence player the Kallark of our side so to speak and hopefully he can kick on on produce the goals he is more than capable of.

Hopefully the lads can stay fit and we can kick on from now

Having Barkley back and that driving force through the middle made an obvious difference and one of my only gripes with Martinez thus far was not bringing in another creative central player to cover/rotate with him as it's our biggest weakness for me.

I think having him back will have a detrimental effect on Lukaku

I think you've got a little mixed up by using the word detrimental there, Paul!

I'm a little concerned by his inability to transfer his size into power.

One of the best examples was Yak, once he set his feet no one was knocking him off the ball. Remember his shoulder barge in the derby? Its nothing to do with bulk, its core and legs.

Shearer, Suarez, Rooney (17/18), Gazza in his prime, Barkley. They all translated whatever they have into incredible force.

Some players are "soft", look the part but have no natural power.

You're spot on he does get knocked off the ball far too easy. Maybe it's because he was so big as a kid he's never really had to worry about weight ratio to floor and balance. I can just imagine at 16 playing youth football people just bounced off him. So maybe he hasn't had to bring that to his game and now he's playing wigh the big boys he needs to start getting that into his game.

He needs to get mean, get determined and get grit and drive in hid game and he'll be unbelievable. I think as he develops as a person into adulthood he will get that. Those attributes are not natural they come with experience.

I think he'll explode one day and we'll all be amazed.

I think you've got a little mixed up by using the word "positive" there, Paul!

Ha coming off a run of eight eleven hour night shifts and adapting to days again gives me constant brain farts I'm afraid mate

Plus my grammar is piss poor at the best of times :)

Edited by EFC-Paul

And that is the extent of your knowledge that you bring to this forum?

Anything else?

Gobshite absolute gobshite.

You bring nothing. You pop on every 2 weeks get involved in shit then your off again. At least be consistent or put a half decent post in.

Care to enlighten us on how one conducts one's discourse in an adequate manner on a football forum? We are discussing neither the antinomies of Kant nor Hegel's doctrine of being, but football FFS. I have been active on football forums for more than two decades, and if there is one thing I have learnt, it is the following: it is all about unabashedly subjective opinions even when it comes to self-proclaimed experts on footballing matters. Listen to the shite emitted from Gary Neville's gob; if a seasoned professional cannot talk reasonably about football, you should be expecting no better from armchair experts who hardly ever kicked a ball. In other words: no need for sanctimonious posturing. Your opinion is as valuable or as worthless as the opinions of those with whom you disagree.

Er, yeah, cheers.

But with your 20 years of footballing forum experience, I would have thought you'd learn to read.

See, you quoted me talking about performances being used to make personal points against other people in a very childish manner. Then went onto waffle about 'opinions'. Completely different. And completely off course.

You'd also think that with 20 years of skipping around football forums, you would have learnt to contribute in a meaningful manner. You've got to wonder why someone would spend 20 years of their life posting shite? Because based on 90% of your posts on here, that is what you have been doing.

Now I'm going the co-op for milk and bread, anyone want anything?!

Er, yeah, cheers.

But with your 20 years of footballing forum experience, I would have thought you'd learn to read.

See, you quoted me talking about performances being used to make personal points against other people in a very childish manner. Then went onto waffle about 'opinions'. Completely different. And completely off course.

You'd also think that with 20 years of skipping around football forums, you would have learnt to contribute in a meaningful manner. You've got to wonder why someone would spend 20 years of their life posting shite? Because based on 90% of your posts on here, that is what you have been doing.

Oh here he is the forums post warden

Guest millwallforever

Sorry mate, I've got no time for drama queens. You are

entitled to blurting out your worthless opinion and I am entitled to pressing the ignore button. Goodbye.

Er, yeah, cheers.

Don't get to many games, but made this one.It was pretty obvious to all that Barkley brings a lot to the team, but come on surely we haven't become dependant on one man !

Coleman also gives us balance and we look better with him in there.

Villa really didn't offer much, they did pretty well at keeping our chances to a minimum, just about sums it up.

We can play far better than that, give Barkley a few more games and watch him go, could be good for Lukaku, something just isn't clicking for the big man, check out his goals for WBA and what he scored for us last season, that's why Martinez paid big money for him.

Thought Naismith worked his nuts off again today.

We were only average today (saturday) but we kept a clean sheet and scored 3.Better times ahead.

Oh here he is the forums post warden

It's amazing...even on a drip, you can still be a cock.

Haven't you got something more important to concentrate on? If I was so ill that I was on a drip, the last thing on my mind would be to log onto here with the pure intention of pissing people off.

Get some rest. And give us a rest too.