IGNORED

Lille (A)

smulliga

if you get attacked the natural thing is to retaliate

In the moment against the people attacking you yes; think Mark means indiscriminate retaliation against random Lille fans, which is not the natural thing to do and would be out of order.

Mike's covered it for me. I'd hate to think any of our fans would do that but it's bound to be in some of their minds. And if it did happen then you just know the headlines that would appear in the papers.

Everton fans set off a blue smoke bomb in the main square. Riot and plain clothes police went apeshit and cleared square with tear gas, bullets and batons before retreating after being pelted with bottles. So, the only thing which will be remembered is Everton letting off a smoke bomb and throwing bottles.

It's also rumoured to take up to an hour to get in the ground after arriving there because of searches, security checks, drunk checks, ticket checks and putting any bag you are carrying in a cloakroom type place. All that needs to happen now is thousands miss kick off or most of the match and there will be something to worry about!

Everton (to face Lille): Howard, Hibbert, Jagielka ©, Distin, Baines, Besic, Barry, McGeady, Barkley, Pienaar, Eto'o.

Everton subs: Joel, Gibson, Lukaku, McCarthy, Atsu, Coleman, Alcaraz.

interesting lineup. looking forward to seeing how barry and besic work together. barkley and pienaar together should creative some magic for Eto'o. with mcgeady's non-defending hibbert makes sense since he will stay home. i like the look of this. would love to see Rom come on and smash one in late in the match.

Everton (to face Lille): Howard, Hibbert, Jagielka ©, Distin, Baines, Besic, Barry, McGeady, Barkley, Pienaar, Eto'o.

Everton subs: Joel, Gibson, Lukaku, McCarthy, Atsu, Coleman, Alcaraz.

Happy with that, although I'd have liked to see Atsu in instead of Barkley I think, with McGeady pushing through the centre.

We've actually got a top squad with depth, I never really realise.

The only real concerns for me are McGeady and Hibbert. Don't think we're materially weaker owing to any of the other changes. I'll again express my concerns about Barry's ability to stay at the top of his game. Hope Roberto has some plan to get him some rest before he hits empty (as he seemed to do last year).

The lineup visual on the official Everton site must surely be inaccurate in multiple ways.

http://www.evertonfc.com/fixtures/2010-to-2019/2014-2015/europa-league/lille-vs-everton/match

(Click lineups.)

If as inaccurate as I assume, it's a little dismaying that the official club site looks so foolish here. Baines as RB, Distin LB, Hibbert CH, Besic LM, McGeady paired with Eto'o as strikers. All 4 defenders are incorrectly placed.