IGNORED

Lille (A)

smulliga

What's the difference between a banner and a flag? We've had a couple of banners made up and have now read on govt travel advice site that banners will be confiscated and not returned. Flags are ok if the content is ok but flagpoles aren't. If it isn't on a flag pole doesn't it become a banner? Anyway, read more here...:

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-location-news/lille-olympique-soccer-club-v-everton-travel-advice

Not sure if that works. Just type "Lille V Everton Govt Travel Advice" into Google.

Edited by MikeO
Fixed link

Are they though? Oviedo had an operation to remove pins from his leg, what a week or so ago? We have no idea what sort of headspace Distin is in atm (I personally believe something has gone on). And McGeady is, well, McGeady! :P

I completely forgot about Oviedo's surgery!!!

I think McGeady was one of the better performers away in Russia and I'm holding to the hope that he can still provide something for the team...

Distin is the strange one depending on how they pulled up after the weekend if keep the same back 4 especially as Burnely (with out intending offence) don't offer much threat up top

Why have a deep squad if you're not going to rotate? we played weaker sides the first 2 matches and got great results, why would it be any different this time? I agree this is an important match and I think Europa is more important than the league this year, but it's Away and were top of the table. Surely a reserve side can get a point (just like Krasnodar match) and we can rest some starters. It's going to be a long season if we plan to go deep in Europa, we need healthy rested players.

Bit confusing that. This is a bit odd also.

In addition to items which would usually be prohibited in the UK, the following items are banned in the stadium and will be confiscated...

• knives, belts, chains or any objects which can be thrown or used as a weapon

So knives are allowed in UK games then? And you're not allowed to wear a belt?

Yes I read this yesterday also, quite confusing ? I went to the section "stadium interior rules" it's all in French of course and my school French is now some forty years rusty. What I did read in English is that there are storage lockers (big enough for a rucksack etc.) at every entrance so if you were not allowed to bring in a banner (flag is o.k. !!!!) you could store it in a locker and collect it on the way out.

Frankly speaking I think the club should clarify what the situation is and not leave it to the Foreign office ! The club know full well that many fans go to great expense and effort to prepare banners, the least they could do is pick up a phone to Lille and put a statement on the web site !

I completely forgot about Oviedo's surgery!!!

I think McGeady was one of the better performers away in Russia and I'm holding to the hope that he can still provide something for the team...

Distin is the strange one depending on how they pulled up after the weekend if keep the same back 4 especially as Burnely (with out intending offence) don't offer much threat up top

My point about McGeady was about his consistency tbh. Because I do think there's a player in there. It's just a case of whether the decent one makes an appearance or the one that makes you want to run on to the pitch and strangle him!

Why have a deep squad if you're not going to rotate? we played weaker sides the first 2 matches and got great results, why would it be any different this time? I agree this is an important match and I think Europa is more important than the league this year, but it's Away and were top of the table. Surely a reserve side can get a point (just like Krasnodar match) and we can rest some starters. It's going to be a long season if we plan to go deep in Europa, we need healthy rested players.

Rotation should happen, but not to put out a reserve side - two or three changes is about right. Like Patto has said, it would be very shitty to put out a total reserve side when 10K+ of our fans have gone to great expense to go out there and watch us play. The fans have shown massive commitment and they deserve that commitment to be returned and rewarded.

My point about McGeady was about his consistency tbh. Because I do think there's a player in there. It's just a case of whether the decent one makes an appearance or the one that makes you want to run on to the pitch and strangle him!

Rotation should happen, but not to put out a reserve side - two or three changes is about right. Like Patto has said, it would be very shitty to put out a total reserve side when 10K+ of our fans have gone to great expense to go out there and watch us play. The fans have shown massive commitment and they deserve that commitment to be returned and rewarded.

Agreed, that number of travelling fans deserve to see a strong team (hopefully winning easily).

If Coleman, McCarthy & Barkley haven't felt any ill effects after Saturday they should start again. Ideally the only changes for me would be Besic in for Barry and maybe give Pienaar a start instead of Osman.

If the other match in the group is drawn and we win this we are in a great position.

We owe it to the 10.000 fans that are travelling to play the strongest possible team any more than 2 changes and I'll be very dissapointed.

In fact the same team for me unless there's an injury,

Yeh very good point.

Like Romey says we should use our squad but it shouldn't be in a way that weakens the team, which is why I think Etoo (for Lukaku), Pienaar (for Osman) and Besic (for Barry) wouldn't really weaken us. The more I think about Barkley the more I agree with the notion he should start assuming he is fit from the weekend. Throwing an erratic player like McGeady or Atsu may just throw a spanner in the works.

Am I on a different planet some of these posts are crazy.

Then maybe I need to justify my original suggestions:

Will be interesting to see who starts. Distin was rested [and could be used to give either Jagielka or Alcaraz a break], and so were Eto'o [who could start ahead of Lukaku] and Besic [giving Barry a rest] - both of whom have European experience [particularly important and not to be underestimated]. Atsu will probably start [maybe ahead of McGeady] and I would guess Hibbert too because of his experience [and because we shouldn't put too much pressure on Coleman who's straight back from injury].

Now, does that sound better?

Great point, thanks you.

I couldn't agree more with what you are saying Rom... I guess I am cautious of over playing the squad so early when were not in a great league position. Ideally, if we can wrap the group up early enough to give Kone/Gibbo/Robles a pressure free game that would be fantastic! But that's looking way to far ahead!

I wouldn't drop Rom after scoring at the weekend, keep the momentum going and get 45 mins out of him at least. Would like to see Etoo instead of Naismith (bring Naisy on at half time), Besic for Barry, Pienaar for Ossie, otherwise keep it the same.

With Rom I think you almost need to keep things simple. Say to him rest against Lille but I want you firing against Burnley. He is a player that I think needs a bit of a break here and there and when you have replacements like Etoo who will also benefit hugely from having Barkley in the 11 then I think you can afford that.

Lille have just lost to second from bottom Guingamp (who?), and have lost 3 of the last 4. If we can't win and make changes I'll be disappointed.

On the evidence of that we should be favourites, but you have to take everyone seriously in Europe, particularly away. Krasnodar were the "minnows" of the group but bossed us for long periods. We need to tie down qualification as soon as we can, then we can look at resting people. First XI (or near as damn it) for me.

steve I can accept a couple of changes but not 5 besic yes I was surprised he was rested for the villa game.

pienaar instead of ossie yes why not, the defence for me stays the same.

I think alcaraz has had plenty of rest keep him in now, eto'o is a possibility but no more than that.

You don't think the turn around May be a risk for Barkley, Coleman and lesser extent McCarthy?

He should play his strongest side. Pretty obvious one this for me. Europa has to be our number one priority.

Now, this is dependant on how far Martinez thinks we already are in the competition but for me, a win here, would also certainly guarantee us passage into the next stage. With 2 winnable home ties to play.

I think however we'll go unchanged:

Howard

Coleman Jagielka Alcaraz Baines

McCarthy Barry

Naismith Barkley Osman

Lukaku

On the evidence of that we should be favourites, but you have to take everyone seriously in Europe, particularly away. Krasnodar were the "minnows" of the group but bossed us for long periods. We need to tie down qualification as soon as we can, then we can look at resting people. First XI (or near as damn it) for me.

That's the key point, win this one and the next one we will probably have qualified. Then we have two games we can rest players.

Id like to see a start given to Atsu, Etoo and Besic, and maybe Browning.

Undecided on Barkley, maybe the best decision is to not rush him, but as someone mentioned maybe it will help to build match fitness. He looked alright in the first half against villa.