IGNORED

Hull City (h)

Guest rusty747

Guest rusty747

Starting this thread at half time in the Spurs game as it's the only thing stopping me from launching my ipad through the window.

Hull is looking like being an important game and Brucie will be peed off at the way Hull capitulated at OT so it wont be easy by any stretch of the imagination.

If we have any Birmingham based blues can you recommend somewhere to watch the game as I will have no time to search. I arrive Birmingham airport at 6-45 pm and the game starts at 8-00pm. Staying at Crowne Plaza hotel in City Centre and should get there as the game starts.

Edited by rusty747

Arsenal vs Southampton, Chelsea vs Spurs. This is a must-win (excuse the cliche) to keep in touch with the pack for top four.

I hope Bobby has got some sort of plan B, it feels like every team has got us figured out by forcing us out wide and putting in rubbish crosses, or letting us dick around with the ball with pointless possession before giving it away and getting rear-ended on the counter. Hope he mixes the formation or squad up a bit, although it could be difficult given our injury list.

Hull into relegation zone after today's results, they won't lack any motivation.

We need to increase the pace of our attacks and need to try and play Rom through once or twice. I'd have Atsu opposite Mirallas with instructions for Atsu to get to the byline and stretch them, while Kev cuts inside. Shame Gibson's not available, Barry could really use the rest, but I'm not sure Besic can do the job by himself.

Arsenal vs Southampton, Chelsea vs Spurs. This is a must-win (excuse the cliche) to keep in touch with the pack for top four.

Although the must-win cliche isn't quite to be taken literally, it feels that way psychologically, so Pearso's point seems well taken, especially given tonight's results. A loss or dismaying tie tomorrow night will mean Everton lose ground to Man U, W Ham (away win), Swansea, Reds (away win), Villa (away win), even Newcastle (away draw).

As we've no chance at top 2, I'll hope Chelsea and Man City win tomorrow night, and I suppose I prefer a draw for Arsenal-Southampton. But no question that anything other than a win for Everton would mean these midweek fixtures will have been terrible from an Everton perspective.

If Hull City manage a win, Everton will be losing touch with a pack larger than merely the top 4.

Edit - Just realized how awfully pessimistic my post is; so, for balance, an Everton win, and it's up to 8th. Conceivably even 7th, though that seems hallucinatory.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

Although the must-win cliche isn't quite to be taken literally, it feels that way psychologically, so Pearso's point seems well taken, especially given tonight's results. A loss or dismaying tie tomorrow night will mean Everton lose ground to Man U, W Ham (away win), Swansea, Reds (away win), Villa (away win), even Newcastle (away draw).

As we've no chance at top 2, I'll hope Chelsea and Man City win tomorrow night, and I suppose I prefer a draw for Arsenal-Southampton. But no question that anything other than a win for Everton would mean these midweek fixtures will have been terrible from an Everton perspective.

If Hull City manage a win, Everton will be losing touch with a pack larger than merely the top 4.

Edit - Just realized how awfully pessimistic my post is; so, for balance, an Everton win, and it's up to 8th. Conceivably even 7th, though that seems hallucinatory.

But very accurate.

It's a strange league this year, as long as we keep within 6-9 points of the 4 coming into the last 10 games I wouldn't get overly stressed as the "lower" teams are clearly capable of picking up points and a run of say 3 wins jumps any team up the ladder considerably. Granted though, I would rather get in the 4 now and have others chase us. We've dropped our share of points, time for a good run of wins!

laugh all you want, but i am scared for this match. can see jelavic doing the double on us, mo diame looks great and abel hernandez is getting acclimated to the premier league pretty fast. andy robertson looks a player, this could be a bogey match for us. goodison isn't the stronghold it usually is this year.

Not picking on you Mark but I hate "acclimated". The word (in English) is "acclimatised". Two countries separated by a common language :lol:.

Guest rusty747

Agree with all the above posts.

After last night's results there is a top 2, then the next 8 or 9, then it's a relegation scrap. Win tonight and we are a part of the 8 or 9. Lose tonight and we will be at the top of the bottom half of the table rather than a part of the pack chasing Europe.

Very, very important game tonight.

Surprised at the lack of pre match banter here. I'm with those who think this is a vital game. December is the first crunch period of the year and if we want to stay competitive we must beat teams like Hull. Already been mentioned, but we've dropped way too many points this season, sure other teams have as well, but if one or two of those go on a run we could very easily be left behind.

Injuries and rotation are everything right now and this is where Martinez needs to earn his corn.

It's Goodison though, and I expect a reaction after Sunday so I think we'll sneak it, but we're still some ways off from form.

I said it before the Wolfsburg game so am hoping for a similar game plan tonight. We really need to play a bit more direct at times. Lukaku is 10 times the player when he making runs down the channels, which i suppose isn't hard as his touch coming to the ball is woeful 90 pct of the time. I'm not saying going old school Everton and long ball all of the time i m just getting a bit pissed off with this 10 minutes of possession crap between the back 4. So as long as it's not Distin knocking them over the top or our ball boys will have their work cut out im hoping to see a bit of variety tonight.

I think if we see the normal slow build up in the first 15 minutes then this will pretty much be the pattern for the night. Hull will park the bus and be more than happy with a draw. When teams do this against us we struggle because we have no plan B......oh apart from bringing the great Atsu on i do apologise.

laugh all you want, but i am scared for this match. can see jelavic doing the double on us, mo diame looks great and abel hernandez is getting acclimated to the premier league pretty fast. andy robertson looks a player, this could be a bogey match for us. goodison isn't the stronghold it usually is this year.

Hernandez is out according to Sky Sports News.

Also, McCarthy isn't expected back for us so I'm crossing my fingers that Barry is a lot better than against Spurs! Naismith is rated doubtful as well :(.

Edited by Romey 1878

Surprised at the lack of pre match banter here. I'm with those who think this is a vital game. December is the first crunch period of the year and if we want to stay competitive we must beat teams like Hull. Already been mentioned, but we've dropped way too many points this season, sure other teams have as well, but if one or two of those go on a run we could very easily be left behind. Injuries and rotation are everything right now and this is where Martinez needs to earn his corn.It's Goodison though, and I expect a reaction after Sunday so I think we'll sneak it, but we're still some ways off from form.

I agree it's a crucial game, as every game is from here. We need to be that team that gets on a run and we desperately need someone to step up and be the man that gets us going. For me, it has to be Mirrallas, he's our match winner and he's banging in the goals right now

I agree it's a crucial game, as every game is from here. We need to be that team that gets on a run and we desperately need someone to step up and be the man that gets us going. For me, it has to be Mirrallas, he's our match winner and he's banging in the goals right now

I can't see us going on a long winning run at any point this season tbh, we're too up and down.

Guest millwallforever

Interesting observation, Mike. It is precisely matters like the one raised by you that I enjoy discussing upon emptying a bottle of vodka. Of course, I prefer 'acclimatise' myself, but 'acclimate' is British English as well and actually older than 'acclimatise.' I have also noticed that archaic German words and expressions, abandoned by the Germans long ago, are still in use in Scandinavia. I have also heard from cultured Turks visiting Europe that they find the language of the Turkish immigrants here to be 'frozen in time.'

Not picking on you Mark but I hate "acclimated". The word (in English) is "acclimatised". Two countries separated by a common language :lol:.