IGNORED

Southampton (A)

MikeO

Forgot they were playing league cup tonight; lets hope Sheffield United take them all the way (and preferably beat them to keep their morale on the wane).

Wheels have come off for them big-time in recent games, really need to be looking at three points, and I think we have a good chance.

Guest rusty747

If Bobby sends out the right starting eleven with the right tactics and they all play well we can win this. But it needs a strong defensive performance and pace on the counter attack. Just pretend it's Wolfsburg away again.

Yes, I take your point Matt. What I was trying to say was that we can't afford any stupid mistakes against a team who are very well equipped to punish us.

Even though we have had some good news about Mirallas I cant see him making the team for Southampton. We need Howard to be at the top of his game, Baines and Coleman to be disciplined in defense and sensible going forward. Jags has to start and maybe Stones alongside him. I would also like to see Besic keep his place alongside either Barry or Mccarthy. In front of them a fluid 3of Eto'o, Barkley and Naismith with Lukaku up front and Kone to come off the bench.

leave Barry well away from the starting line up. He has been shocking of late. Besic and Barkley had there best games the season in the holding roles so lets not move them around. Think the only forced change will be Eto or Osman in for Mirallas.

I would also like to see Besic keep his place alongside either Barry or Mccarthy. In front of them a fluid 3of Eto'o, Barkley and Naismith with Lukaku up front....

In Mirallas's absence, RM might start McGeady or even Pienaar, but maybe he will go with rusty747's recommendation. In which case "fluidity" must be key, as all of Eto'o, Barkley, and Naismith seem far more effective in the middle of the pitch than on the wings. The promise of fluidity is that Southampton defenders will be confused by the random-seeming positioning of 3 attacking mids. The downside, I suppose, is that the fluid trio will themselves be confused.

I rather like rusty747's suggestion for this particular fixture. Maybe it would get us off to a fine beginning to 4 matches in 13 days. [i realize the real challenge will be 3 matches in 7 festive days. For this reason, I prefer to see McCarthy withheld v. Southampton.]

Guest rusty747

I think us mere mortals can only delete our own. No worries about the accidental deletion Matt - I feel quite honoured to have been quoted so much

Edited by rusty747

Stones in place of Distin.

I streamed the game at work, so didn't see every play... but what about Stones in for Jags?

It seemed to me that Distin actually had a better game, from what I saw. Jags looked a little weak.

(I actually went back to review a few of the post-game comments in the QPR thread, and everyone seemed to rate them both equally there, so I might be off-base.)

Edited by veedublin

I streamed the game at work, so didn't see every play... but what about Stones in for Jags?

It seemed to me that Distin actually had a better game, from what I saw. Jags looked a little weak.

(I actually went back to review a few of the post-game comments in the QPR thread, and everyone seemed to rate them both equally there, so I might be off-base.)

Mate you're not even a yard towards first base and been out at that one, second, third and the fella at 4th is whiffing a cigar waiting for you.

That's how off base you are.

For what's it's worth I've always seen Distin as the main stay of the back four (a minority I know) up until "that". Since his time out he's been ok, but not up to his usual high standards.

I actually prefer Stones and Distin as a partnership over Jags and Stones.

Up until this season I agree with that. If Jags was out his replacement usually came in and played well with Distin.

The same can't be said when Distin was out.

Different story this season though. Had to happen eventually, the man can't go on forever.