IGNORED

Southampton (A)

MikeO

Jags has been better recently so I wouldn't drop him. Still think 3 at the back with 1 holding DCM would work well for us considering our squad.

You could almost go 3 3 3 1

Howard

Stones Jags Distin

Coleman McCarthy/Besic Baines

Barkley Naismith Eto'o

lukaku

I would really like to see Besic and McCarthy get some games together in the middle though ang going three at the back isn't going to make that happen.

Howard

Stones Jags Distin

Barkley Naismith Eto'o

lukaku

I would really like to see Besic and McCarthy get some games together in the middle though ang going three at the back isn't going to make that happen.

Yeah, or 3-2-3-2 depending on how and who you setup

Honestly don't care what they play so long as they win!

Guest rusty747

It would seem that Southampton have more injury and suspension problems than we do. Three definite non starters due suspension and another four with injuries rated very doubtful - I think a cheeky £10 on an Everton away win might be in order.

I really hope Besic starts whether Mcarthy is fit or not. He gives us a real prescence and a platform to build from. I also love his tackling.

Howard

Coleman Jags Distin/Stones Baines

Mcarthy Besic

Eto'o Barkley Naismith

Lukaku

Kone to come off the bench.

Edited by rusty747

It would seem that Southampton have more injury and suspension problems than we do. Three definite non starters due suspension and another four with injuries rated very doubtful - I think a cheeky £10 on an Everton away win might be in order.

I really hope Besic starts whether Mcarthy is fit or not. He gives us a real prescence and a platform to build from. I also love his tackling.

Howard

Mcarthy Besic

Eto'o Barkley Naismith

Lukaku

Who's out for them Rusty?

You got a link mate?

Guest rusty747

Its certainly ripped the guts out of their midfield. One first choice defender def out and looking a bit light up front now too.

Besic must start now to enable us to boss the midfield (to put it tactfully!) and we need to surround him with creative players to exploit any opportunities. And Lukaku needs to bring his shooting boots, springs in his heels and to stop trapping the ball further than I can bloody kick it.

Edited by rusty747

Howard

Stones Jags Distin

Barkley Naismith Eto'o

lukaku

I agree with this - except Stones for Distin as mentioned earlier. Also, I'd include Kone instead of Naismith. The weakness of this setup is that there's no natural winger.

Going to miss the start of this due to my daughter carelessly arranging our youngest grandson's first birthday party between 1.00 and 3.00 :dry:. Hopefully be home for the second half.

They have no ideado they. All fucking week to choose it, there's only really a 3 hour window in a whole week NOT to have it and they always pick that time.

Not just your daughter but all women.

Absolutelyhopelessthey are!

My lineup for tomorrow:

Howard

Coleman Distin/Stones* Jags Baines

Mcgeady Barkley Besic/Bary** Pienaar

Naismith A.Kone***

*Bring him on as a sub if the opportunity arises.

**Same goes for Bary, but I thought Besic had an outstanding performance against QPR so I think he deserves to start. Or maybe all three? Bary, Besic, and Barkley higher up the pitch, as suggested by the Echo.

***Perhaps its too soon to be starting him, but why not? I think Lukaku could be an impact sub. Or have Kone come on at 75' if Lukaku is having a bad day.

Edited by ForEverton2

Martinez will not deviate from plan 'A', ( or will he ).

Meaning, we will play against Southampton in pretty much the same way we played against Arsenal in the first week of the season, where we outplayed them and only lost because we ran out of steam in the last few minutes ( proving the system can work ) and the same as we played against Palace, Hull and to an extent QPR ( though we did beat Rangers) where teams made Plan ' A' look pretty dangerous (to us).

So if it is to be tippy-tappy plan 'A'........we will win if we do 'it' really well and Southampton don't spoil our day by pushing high up the pitch, puting pressure on our nervous back four, whilst stopping them walking it up Lukaku !!

Naismiths energy helps the system work a bit better and If Ross has a good game and brings the ball forward like he can at his best again it will help 'A' click a bit.

Martinez has either to fine tune and improve Plan 'A' (find players who do it better, or get present staff to put in a major shift) or we have to be able to play it long in between the numerous passes opponents expect from us, come on! every Everton player should be capable of hitting a pass forward of more than 30m, they dont have too much trouble with the backward sideways type!

I'm getting bored by some of our play at present Coleman and Baines are being kept quite, infact other teams are now using thier fullbacks better than we do.

We've got a squad full of potential, but it's just gone a bit flat, Martinez you apparently have a very good football brain,,,,use it.

The result today.......havn't got a friggin clue, probably lots of pretty passes up to the final third then back again.How well Southampton manage our system will be the major factor.They (Southampton) have slipped a bit just lately....get to the final third and actually do something with it and we might just get three points.

I'm getting bored by some of our play at present Coleman and Baines are being kept quite, infact other teams are now using thier fullbacks better than we do.

We play too narrow, Eto, Barkley, Naismith, even Mirallas all drift inside. The middle gets congested, nobody makes a forward run and the ball gets passed back or lost as there is no attacking option on.

Baines and Coleman play at their best when they have a wide man to work with, to draw out the fullback, and play give and go with. This also creates space for Eto, Naismith, and Barkley to exploit.

Guest rusty747

Howard

Mcarthy Besic

Eto'o Barkley Naismith

Lukaku

Who's a clever Rusty747 then?

Spot on with the team selection apart from McCarthy who is obviously still not fit!

Width will have to come from Coleman and Baines which means Barkley and Nais and Eto'o are going to have to work at bringing them into the game.

Edited by rusty747

Playing the advanced midfield 3 of Barkley, Eto'o, and Naismith does suggest that RM thinks [rusty747's earlier-post-word] a "fluid" attacking midfield will confuse Southampton defenders. Maybe Eto'o can be as effective on the wing as through the middle, but that hasn't been true for either Naismith or Barkley.

Maybe the attacking width will be provided by the fullbacks, with defensive-minded Besic and Barry joining Jagielka and Distin as a back four intermittently during the match.