IGNORED

Lacina Traore

Guest rusty747

I think Roberto has proven more than a few of us wrong so far this season. Remember the doubts about Jimmy Mac at the start of the season. 13 million too much was an oft heard phrase but I wouldn't sell Jimmy Mac now for 50 mill.

If Roberto rates him, that's good enough for me.

Sin Miedo.

Monaco spent a fortune on this young man. He has played in precisely one game for us, scoring the first goal. That was his first game ever in the BPL and first played with an English team. Despite what some of the world's best coaches and scouts think, no matter that he's played only 90 minutes for Everton, some are willing to write him off. What a joke!

Agreed. Same people that have written off Kone. I guess logging 200 hours on football manager makes you An expert these days.

Guest blueboy122

Gets write up my nose people writing off Kone. He was excellent for Wigan last season and where ever he has been but typically on here people judge a player after 1 game which he didn't play bad in just didn't hit the target on that occasion.

If we judged Naismith on the united game after he missed 2 clear chances he would be playing league two if some members on here was the manager of the first team.

Guest blueboy122

Why are you even bothered he's not our player and looks nowhere near the ability his transfer fee suggest

Imagine if you were judged in your job like you judge Traore after one game. On your first day in your new job you weren't quite up to it..... Sacked.

Why are you bothered? He's not our player and will probably never put the shirt on again. What I saw was not what I expected and certainly not a £20m player. Reminded me of the Straq

Because we're finding a creative way to get some of the world's brightest prospects playing for Everton. RM wants him to stay for another year, which makes the subject very relevant.

he doesn't need a run of games I seen enough in the game he played.

To me he was a panic buy.

Hope his bags are packed.

What the fuck does this even mean? Steven Naismith provided an entire season's worth of evidence that he wasn't good enough for Everton, and yet here he is bagging goals. How the fuck can you, therefore, decipher from a whole 16 minutes of play or whatever the hell it was whether Traore makes sense for this group or not? Presumably Martinez' most highly trusted wingmen were watching Traore every minute and doing their homework on him prior to his acquisition. But nope, Patto can just look at one small sample size and undermine all their reports. It takes some significant arrogance to come to that kind of conclusion.

Edited by thoward18

Because we're finding a creative way to get some of the world's brightest prospects playing for Everton. RM wants him to stay for another year, which makes the subject very relevant.

He is nowhere near "one of the worlds brightest prospects" though. When has Roberto said this. Because personally I think BObby ended up with egg on his face here. Poor signing. Looks to be injury prone and was shockingly bad against Swansea

What the fuck does this even mean? Steven Naismith provided an entire season's worth of evidence that he wasn't good enough for Everton, and yet here he is bagging goals. How the fuck can you, therefore, decipher from a whole 16 minutes of play or whatever the hell it was whether Traore makes sense for this group or not? Presumably Martinez' most highly trusted wingmen were watching Traore every minute and doing their homework on him prior to his acquisition. But nope, Patto can just look at one small sample size and undermine all their reports. It takes some significant arrogance to come to that kind of conclusion.

He played 60 odd minutes mate and I agree with Patto he looked completely out of his depth.

He played 60 odd minutes mate and I agree with Patto he looked completely out of his depth.

So 16 minutes isn't convincing, but 60 is? Did my Naismith example go out the window? He gave, what, 20 matches before he got it together?

This is a guy who has 10 goals in 28 European matches - including against AZ, Liverpool, and Roma - and 4 goals in 7 national team appearances. If he's good enough to do that, then how the fuck could he possibly be "out of his depth" in an FA Cup match against Swansea?

Edited by thoward18

Gets write up my nose people writing off Kone. He was excellent for Wigan last season and where ever he has been but typically on here people judge a player after 1 game which he didn't play bad in just didn't hit the target on that occasion.

To be honest, I'd wish Koné improves and scores 20 goals the next season, but I don't see it happening.

But I believe I have seen him enough (he came as a highly touted youngster to Spanish football, to Sevilla from PSV, he was terrible, he was missing sitters, he was loaned out, he came back and he was still awful, he moved to Levante and that team played 5-4-1 with Koné as the only counter attacking weapon. Only in Levante he looked like a decent player, Levante is a great team for quick and strong strikers that like to play for themselves, Martins and Felipe Caicedo also thrived there. Then RM signed him and he was one of the good players in a poor Wigan team, along with McCarthy and McManaman).

Somewhere I stated that I think he's not good enough for a top half team, let alone for a team with the passing style RM wants to play. Counter attacking and long balls to Koné are what suit him the most, and RM only goes for that tactic against 5-6 teams in the League.

We may discuss how Lukaku or Traoré fit into that bill considering that their combinative play is weak, but sometimes the managers like to have the aerial threat just to keep the defenders busy or in case the wingers want to cross (Mandzukic at Bayern, Giroud at Arsenal). Koné does not even offer that option.

Guest blueboy122

To be honest, I'd wish Koné improves and scores 20 goals the next season, but I don't see it happening.

But I believe I have seen him enough (he came as a highly touted youngster to Spanish football, to Sevilla from PSV, he was terrible, he was missing sitters, he was loaned out, he came back and he was still awful, he moved to Levante and that team played 5-4-1 with Koné as the only counter attacking weapon. Only in Levante he looked like a decent player, Levante is a great team for quick and strong strikers that like to play for themselves, Martins and Felipe Caicedo also thrived there. Then RM signed him and he was one of the good players in a poor Wigan team, along with McCarthy and McManaman).

Somewhere I stated that I think he's not good enough for a top half team, let alone for a team with the passing style RM wants to play. Counter attacking and long balls to Koné are what suit him the most, and RM only goes for that tactic against 5-6 teams in the League.

We may discuss how Lukaku or Traoré fit into that bill considering that their combinative play is weak, but sometimes the managers like to have the aerial threat just to keep the defenders busy or in case the wingers want to cross (Mandzukic at Bayern, Giroud at Arsenal). Koné does not even offer that option.

Fair play you are entitled to your view of course and you sound as if you have seen him for a number of years.

But I am judging him on his most recent season and particularly the game at Goodison when Wigan beat us. One of the most complete centre forward performance I have seen at Goodison. He was utterly brilliant did everything that you could want from a centre forward. Lead the line, win headers, bully the opposition, hold the ball, run at the defenders.

I think he will be one of the best forwards we have seen at Goodison for a long time when he gets fit. His game isn't limited to one or two particular attributes he is very much a complete centre forward with so much in his locker.

So 16 minutes isn't convincing, but 60 is? Did my Naismith example go out the window? He gave, what, 20 matches before he got it together?

This is a guy who has 10 goals in 28 European matches - including against AZ, Liverpool, and Roma - and 4 goals in 7 national team appearances. If he's good enough to do that, then how the fuck could he possibly be "out of his depth" in an FA Cup match against Swansea?

First impressions are everything and he was crap.

You're not wrong Patto. The guy needs a hell of a lot of work to convince me. That said I've been wrong before. Unfortunately I doubt I am.

This reports about him being part of a financial helping deal add up. Not sure why Bobby is insisting on keeping him.

you know T I could be wrong but I've been watching everton for a long time, I don't watch on a lap top or go the pub I go the game so I think I have a good idea when I see a player.

If you think we had been scouting traore why was he signing for west ham ?

I thin he was a panic loan because we messed up selling jelavic before we had a replacement.

sorry if i've read this wrong but what does west ham wanting him have to do with us scouting him? more than one team is allowed to scout a player you know

i'm amazed anyone could really judge this lad on what he's done here..fuckin hell

My dad does this with music, listens to 10 seconds of a track then decides he doesnt like it. When I get him to play it all the way through, he will hold his hands up and say "yeah, ok its quite good. Just took too long to get going"

60 minutes of 1 game is not enough time to judge a player.

didn't even know he was in the USA so that's got nothing to do with it,yeah I'm very lucky to go the game.

Lucky I can afford a couple of season tickets but I've worked very hard for that privilege.

:huh: It came across that because you are lucky enough to go the game (not in terms of season ticket, in terms of geography) that you have a better opinion than those who cannot attend the game and must resort to pubs, internet, etc.

you know T I could be wrong but I've been watching everton for a long time, I don't watch on a lap top or go the pub I go the game so I think I have a good idea when I see a player.

If you think we had been scouting traore why was he signing for west ham ?

I thin he was a panic loan because we messed up selling jelavic before we had a replacement.

Plenty of people who have season tickets still talk bullshit. Going to the match live doesn't mean you automatically know more about football / can spot a good player more than somebody who doesn't.

Plenty of people who have season tickets still talk bullshit. Going to the match live doesn't mean you automatically know more about football / can spot a good player more than somebody who doesn't.

Agreed!!

I sit next to some proper nuggets at the match who haven't got a clue about football, yet they are there every week

When I go back home to Los Angeles during the winter, I have to wake up at 5:30 am to catch 1 or 2 games. 5:30 AM! But I do it because I love watching this club and support it to the fullest :)

As for this Traore, I think a lot of us are being very harsh on the lad. Not everyone can step in and be John Stones and boss a game playing in the BPL for the first time. He was coming off an injury and still managed to bag us a goal. There's a reason Everton went after him (I'm not necessarily disagreeing that this wasn't partly a panic buy, more like a necessary one) but having said that, I'm sure this wasn't the only striker we were scouting/had a chance to get during the January window. I definitely think he can play and deserves more than one game to prove he is worth the investment.

I didn't even know he was in the USA so that's got nothing to do with it,yes I'm privileged to be able to go every other week, but the fact I can is down to my working hard over the years.

No one was questioning your hard work, well done on being able to afford a season ticket :)

But you insinuated you know more about spotting a good player because you go to the games live. Was just a bit patronising is all, I'm sure you didn't mean it that way :)

When I go back home to Los Angeles during the winter, I have to wake up at 5:30 am to catch 1 or 2 games. 5:30 AM! But I do it because I love watching this club and support it to the fullest :)

As for this Traore, I think a lot of us are being very harsh on the lad. Not everyone can step in and be John Stones and boss a game playing in the BPL for the first time. He was coming off an injury and still managed to bag us a goal. There's a reason Everton went after him (I'm not necessarily disagreeing that this wasn't partly a panic buy, more like a necessary one) but having said that, I'm sure this wasn't the only striker we were scouting/had a chance to get during the January window. I definitely think he can play and deserves more than one game to prove he is worth the investment.

Being on East Coast I like having the majority of the games at 10am but do struggle with the early kicks which as you say are the 5.30am PST / 7.30am EST games.

As for Traore, far too early to pass proper judgement. If he is crap after a full season playing a part within the squad that would be a different matter.

First impressions are everything and he was crap.

Got it. This makes sense. For instance, Ricky van Wolfswinkel was fantastic for Norwich in his debut against Everton, scoring a late goal to rescue points. That first impression was a great indicator of what he would bring further to Norwich, as he has since gone 23 games with a whole 7 shots on target. Wait...

I admire anyone who watches us from afar,

I love the fact we have supporters abroad. But in regards to judging players on tv it doesn't compare to watching them live you don't see what goes on off the ball.

USA USA I love America been there loads of times my sister was married to a American us airforce.

So just to summarize your point:

Watching Lacina Traore for 16 minutes in Goodison gives you a far better perspective of what he brings to the table than anyone who could have watched from home. However, Roberto Martinez and the entire coaching & scouting staff, who have tapped into their resources and scouted him for years, have worked with him on the training ground, have spoken with him and his past managers, have spoken with Kone, who has played internationally with him... you're still able to evaluate Traore enough to undermine their opinion that he's a worthwhile addition purely because you watched him for 16 minutes at Goodison. I'm not sure if you're ignorant or just arrogant.

I admire anyone who watches us from afar,

I love the fact we have supporters abroad. But in regards to judging players on tv it doesn't compare to watching them live you don't see what goes on off the ball.

USA USA I love America been there loads of times my sister was married to a American us airforce.

thats just not true.