IGNORED

Lukaku

If your assessment of him was even close then I think we should be cancelling his contract never mind selling him!

My assessment of him is:-

"on his day" he is unplayable - unfortunately those days are few and far between. He is far too inconsistent in his quality.

He is a natural goal scorer - in and around the box and one on one - very very good

He is prone to bouts of frustrating laziness and doesn't work for the team enough

Technically he isn't very strong, his touch whilst better is still hit and miss

He doesn't use his athleticism and apparent strength any where near as much as he should

In short whilst he is a very good goalscorer he could and should be a better player and that is all between his ears.

So on that assessment would I cancel his contract? No Don't be daft, I just wouldn't go on about him anywhere near as much as so many do, and that is why his thread is so long. He gets special dispensation and its irritating.

People need to be a bit more realistic about him and stop letting goal stats illuminate some very poor showings for a player who should be doing more.

"on his day" he is unplayable - unfortunately those days are few and far between. He is far too inconsistent in his quality.

He is a natural goal scorer - in and around the box and one on one - very very good

He is prone to bouts of frustrating laziness and doesn't work for the team enough

He doesn't use his athleticism and apparent strength any where near as much as he should

In short whilst he is a very good goalscorer he could and should be a better player and that is all between his ears.

So on that assessment would I cancel his contract? No Don't be daft, I just wouldn't go on about him anywhere near as much as so many do, and that is why his thread is so long. He gets special dispensation and its irritating.

People need to be a bit more realistic about him and stop letting goal stats illuminate some very poor showings for a player who should be doing more.

Spot on

I'm going to laugh my head off if his replacement scores nowhere near as many (but runs around a bit) and people start moaning about a lack of goals.

that's why I said an 8/10 goal scorer and an 8/10 all round player rather than a 10/10 goal scorer who is a 6/10 player.

Have a look at Lewandowski's goal scoring record - it didn't stop Pep coming out and stating that he needs to work for the team (despite being a pretty good all round footballer), as a result his performances were even better and his goals continued.

that's why I said an 8/10 goal scorer and an 8/10 all round player rather than a 10/10 goal scorer who is a 6/10 player.

Have a look at Lewandowski's goal scoring record - it didn't stop Pep coming out and stating that he needs to work for the team (despite being a pretty good all round footballer), as a result his performances were even better and his goals continued.

you mean the 27 year old who hadn't scored in one of the top leagues before he was 22? The lad who is playing for one of the best teams in Europe with arguably the best manager around?

I know what you mean, and I agree to an extent, but he is just not comparable.

yes and a large reason he wanted to head off to madrid because pep is a tit. he needs to improve his midfield and defense before going after his striker.

you mean the 27 year old who hadn't scored in one of the top leagues before he was 22? The lad who is playing for one of the best teams in Europe with arguably the best manager around?

I know what you mean, and I agree to an extent, but he is just not comparable.

I am just stating a player who despite rattling in goals on a ridiculous scale of 1 every 45 minutes had his team contribution bought into question. I am not comparing Lewandowski to Lukaku as there is no comparing IMO. Just highlighting that arguably the best manager in football looks at a striker as being more than just a goalscorer.

yes and a large reason he wanted to head off to madrid because pep is a tit. he needs to improve his midfield and defense before going after his striker.

yeah Pep doesn't know what he's talking about... those man city players will be chortling and laughing at him behind his back.

I am just stating a player who despite rattling in goals on a ridiculous scale of 1 every 45 minutes had his team contribution bought into question. I am not comparing Lewandowski to Lukaku as there is no comparing IMO. Just highlighting that arguably the best manager in football looks at a striker as being more than just a goalscorer.

fair enough :)

not the dominating play of barca, bayern were better under heyneckes won the quad, something pep wont do. he won't win the treble in england neither, vault me.

Wow so you prefer the manager who plays 2 holding midfielders over the manager with 1 holder? I thought you didnt like that.

Bayern look bloody brilliant to watch whilst being a very strong team results wise. Pep will do very well wherever he goes... simple as that.

Edited by Hafnia

Wow so you prefer the manager who plays 2 holding midfielders over the manager with 1 holder? I thought you didnt like that.

Bayern look bloody brilliant to watch whilst being a very strong team results wise. Pep will do very well wherever he goes... simple as that.

Haf i honestly respect your opinion but this is idiotic. I don't root for teams based on 1 or 2 DCM. I like 1 DCM, doesn't mean I don't like teams with 2 of them.

My workmate I sit next to is a Bayern fan from Munich, we talk footy all day long, needless to say he and the rest of his mates don't think much of Pep, they expect the DFB-Pokal and League to be won every year and minimum CL Semi's. Anything less is failure for them, that's their standard. Pep did that his first year that's it. He's got an easy CL draw with Benfica in the quarters but they won't make it past the semis again. Ancelotti will do well there as he doesn't have a set style, he will adapt to the players and play more direct I imagine which suits that team.

The English league has so much more parity and I think that will really hurt Pep.

How depressing is this? We finally got that billionaire owner and all fans talk about is selling our best player.

Fans talk/player talk/agent talk/family talk/manager talk. All irrelevant.

He's got three years left on his contract and if we don't get what we want for him, a figure that's right for the future of the club, he's going nowhere (see John Stones).

We can't "lose" him this Summer, he can't "force" a deal; we hold all the cards. I really don't get the problem.

Fans talk/player talk/agent talk/family talk/manager talk. All irrelevant.

He's got three years left on his contract and if we don't get what we want for him, a figure that's right for the future of the club, he's going nowhere (see John Stones).

We can't "lose" him this Summer, he can't "force" a deal; we hold all the cards. I really don't get the problem.

thats not my point. He's conceding because he's failed and trying to cover it up by saying "hey! We've got money now, who cares who goes! We can always replace him with someone else". Not acceptable in my eyes. I've had my confidence in the man beaten down by his actions. We have improved immensely this season, in terms of attack but defensively we've gone so far backwards. No amount of spending can cover that.

This is my biggest worry.

I don't understand this. I'm no fanboy of Martinez, but his transfer dealings haven't exactly been his problem, have they? I'm pretty happy to have Lukaku, Funes Mori, Lennon and Deulofeu in the squad at the expense of pretty much no one who offered us anything.

thats not my point. He's conceding because he's failed and trying to cover it up by saying "hey! We've got money now, who cares who goes! We can always replace him with someone else". Not acceptable in my eyes. I've had my confidence in the man beaten down by his actions. We have improved immensely this season, in terms of attack but defensively we've gone so far backwards. No amount of spending can cover that.

But you're not addressing my point, same as I wasn't addressing yours :dont know:.

But actually if you watch it (as I just have) that's not what he says at all.

For me Martinez deals with it right:-

He's building us up as being a force, not a selling club who have to worry about replacing lukaku with a marcus bent like we did with rooney.

That now isn't the time to talk about the summer when there's 2 months left of a season

That it's annoying players and there families speak to media about transfers

That lukaku needs to focus on his game and nothing else.

Apart from the fact that I want a new manager he doesnt say anything wrong.

But actually if you watch it (as I just have) that's not what he says at all.

I took it as Martinez saying we have the money so no one can just fuck off when they see fit, rather than him saying if we lose players we can easily replace them because we have money.

If it is the latter that he meant then I'm sure we can replace them, but they'll be inferior replacements on the whole because potential signings will see our recent league positions, and a load of shit performances, coupled with our better players wanting to leave and we'll not be able to attract players of a similar calibre.

I took it as Martinez saying we have the money so no one can just fuck off when they see fit, rather than him saying if we lose players we can easily replace them because we have money.

If it is the latter that he meant then I'm sure we can replace them, but they'll be inferior replacements on the whole because potential signings will see our recent league positions, and a load of shit performances, coupled with our better players wanting to leave and we'll not be able to attract players of a similar calibre.

So did I.

Its hard to tell really, I don't even think Roberto knows what it is he means half the time

For me Martinez deals with it right:-

He's building us up as being a force, not a selling club who have to worry about replacing lukaku with a marcus bent like we did with rooney.

That now isn't the time to talk about the summer when there's 2 months left of a season

That it's annoying players and there families speak to media about transfers

That lukaku needs to focus on his game and nothing else.

Apart from the fact that I want a new manager he doesnt say anything wrong.

Excellent, because accurate, summary. Coup de grace is hafnia's hilarious drop-the-other-shoe punch line, worth the price of admission.

Usually Roberto says many things wrong, as his post-game pressers have become a laughingstock, as mentioned by various writers in any number of links posted on TT recently. Don't know whether he can recover from his disastrous fall: once thought a brilliant football mind, he's now fodder for weekly snickering. Nobody did it to him.

So that's your assessment,

Good job some of the best football brains in the business don't see things your way.!

£50/60million says they have probably a better knowledge of 'potential'.