IGNORED

Lukaku

Would you prefer our fans to threaten a player and his family to make them stay? Lukaku could have gone last year, he stayed and Martinez didn't deliver. He's taken a lot of abuse and handled it well, he could have easily used it as an excuse and left. Everton convinced him to stay and improve here with us, unfortunately we haven't matched his levels or ambition. I'd prefer him to stay, but looking at the comments from the club I believe there to be some sort of gentleman's agreement.

don't be thinking you can score points because it's a Liverpool Everton thing

Yeah I don't want to drag this stuff too far off topic, but if at this point you still think I'm trying to prove anything to anyone, you haven't been paying attention. I'm just trying to wake you up.

http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/27581-martinez-direction/?p=506973

The article from from Chalkpie's post.

Hard to disagree with these lads. All seem to say what most of us are saying....

Terry McAllister (Walton)

As annoying as Mino Raiola is piping up during every international break, can anyone really argue with his logic?

The reality of football is that if you have a player of a certain level, you need to be competing at that level to keep them happy. Romelu Lukaku is a proven 20+ goal a season striker and is improving all of the time.

The question for the club this summer is not can they keep him, but how much can they make the buying club pay? Everton have had every chance to fulfill Lukaku's ambitions since signing him and we haven't even come close.

This season Leicester City could run away with the league title and it so easily could have been us. Do they have better players than Everton? No.

Are they a better team? Absolutely.

The blame rests entirely with the manager who hasn't learned from his mistakes or made the most of this stellar squad of players.

David Taylor (St Helens)

An absolute battering by Arsenal, followed swiftly by an international break, is not my idea of fun. Yet we are quickly arriving at the weekend with a challenging trip down the East Lancs to try and cheer everyone up.

It is an away game after all so we do have more chance than we would if we were playing them at the gift that carries on giving in L4.

The away fan contingent are almost always right behind the team so I don’t think there is potential for Lukaku getting any grief – not sure if it would do any good anyway.

He is clearly eyeing an exit this summer and unless Moshiri can somehow convince him otherwise we may as well get behind him and the rest of the squad while we still have the FA Cup to fight for; like it or not if we don’t have a fit and firing Lukaku in the semi-final (and final) we will struggle.

I certainly believe there are players out there who can replace Lukaku, particularly now we have more financial muscle, but between now and the end of the season we need him as much he needs us for some shop-window displays, most notably at Wembley.

The wait between the quarter final and the semi-final feels massive and the number of games we have before 23 April is of course a worry but it also gives us the chance to get our confidence back and get some real momentum.

Gareth Barry was a huge miss against Arsenal, not sure what happened to Besic (?!), but his self-imposed mini-break will have done him a world of good.

COYB

George Gibson (Nantwich)

We seem to have a repeat of this every year when a player goes away on international duty. First Marouane Fellaini, then Kevin Mirallas and now Romelu Lukaku have all alluded to leaving the club whilst playing for Belgium.

Of course it is disrespectful to the club who is paying your wages to say that you are looking to play for a better club, but who can really blame Lukaku for wanting to do so?

He has without a doubt been up there with Jamie Vardy and Harry Kane this year as the best striker in the league, and in a season when Leicester and Tottenham are the top two this really could have been Everton’s year but for the failings of the manager.

The defending this season has been unacceptable, and that is down to the set-up and tactics of Martinez. It is hard to see Everton progressing while he remains in charge.

Lee Molton (St Helens)

Premier League football is back this weekend, international friendlies are so boring!

It was interesting to read Romelu Lukaku’s comments about playing in the Champions League, I don’t blame him for having ambition. I wish our board and manager had the same ambition as him to get into the Champions League instead of being happy to finish 11th or 12th.

There are only three weeks to the semi-finals and we all can’t wait!

It would be good to get a few more wins before then and climb into the top half of the table.

Sunday’s game at Man United will be tough but we always give them a good game so we can come away with something.

We need to after a dismal display against Arsenal two weeks ago.

There was not much heart and passion at all and we gave Arsenal far too much space.

We cannot afford to let the League season just peter out, we need to finish as high up as possible.

The players are all playing for their semi-final spot now and should all want to impress the manager.

Hopefully he will give the likes of Gibson, Deulofeu and Niasse a chance to impress in the next few games.

Edited by Lowensda

Would you prefer our fans to threaten a player and his family to make them stay? Lukaku could have gone last year, he stayed and Martinez didn't deliver. He's taken a lot of abuse and handled it well, he could have easily used it as an excuse and left. Everton convinced him to stay and improve here with us, unfortunately we haven't matched his levels or ambition. I'd prefer him to stay, but looking at the comments from the club I believe there to be some sort of gentleman's agreement.

yeah that's exactly what I said Pete... I don't believe that fans should raise their voices and act like 99% of sensible human beings - I think they should get the ford mexico out the lock up, put on balaclavas and take a blow torch and pair of pliers to any player who wants to leave the club.

BTW PeteO - who could Lukaku have gone to last year? who made the mega money bid 1 year into his 5 year deal after his wonderful 10 league in 36 games set the division alight???

I also need to understand who has been giving him "abuse" that he handled so well....

http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/27581-martinez-direction/?p=506973

The article from from Chalkpie's post.

Hard to disagree with these lads. All seem to say what most of us are saying....

It's all well and good you posting examples of people talking sence.............but it's still very naughty of Rom to think he can have his own mind and say what he thinks..........maybe though he feels Evertonians are more likely to be fair minded like the ones who's comment's you posted and not like the rs who send death treats to your family and threaten to burn your house down.Maybe he'd keep his mouth shut if that was likely to happen.

In want of a bigger club/trophies the likes of Torres, Alonso, Masherano and Glen Johnson all jumped ship, the rs's massive wage structure couldn't hold them, and Saurez only stayed because he was treated like a hero when accused of racisim and biting, also he was still playing for a team who had the chance of top 4.

Gerrard !.....everyone seems to know he would have left had it not been for various threats.......is that how we want Everton to hold onto their players.

I want Lukaku to stay, he probably wouldn't be asking to leave Leicester City, probably says alot!

It's all well and good you posting examples of people talking sence.............but it's still very naughty of Rom to think he can have his own mind and say what he thinks..........maybe though he feels Evertonians are more likely to be fair minded like the ones who's comment's you posted and not like the rs who send death treats to your family and threaten to burn your house down.Maybe he'd keep his mouth shut if that was likely to happen.

In want of a bigger club/trophies the likes of Torres, Alonso, Masherano and Glen Johnson all jumped ship, the rs's massive wage structure couldn't hold them, and Saurez only stayed because he was treated like a hero when accused of racisim and biting, also he was still playing for a team who had the chance of top 4.

Gerrard !.....everyone seems to know he would have left had it not been for various threats.......is that how we want Everton to hold onto their players.

I want Lukaku to stay, he probably wouldn't be asking to leave Leicester City, probably says alot!

I would love for that to have been true - because it would be something that we could throw at the kopites - thing is many of them loved the idea that "he wanted to go and we made him stay".

Truth is no fan would have got near to harming Gerrard - his dad talked him into staying. His family are well connected.

Love the passion, but there's some serious blue bias here. Kopites all of a sudden aren't delusional bellends, for the sake of one argument. Please stop using the phrase 'bigger than the club', I CBA looking back to see if I used it (I probably did)...but it's a bad phrase. If I used it, my bad. It's about being better. I outlined it in my last mini essay about how the club will be fine without him, we'll keep going. It doesn't change the fact that he's a level above where we are, though. Are we in the CL? Are we even remotely close? Is he good enough to play in it? Wouldn't you want to if you were him? Not that complex really.

Should he talk? Rather he didn't...but can't blame him either. You don't know the full story either, he might have said next year (clutching at straw a bit)...we could still get there for next August!

Edited by CraccerC

I would love for that to have been true - because it would be something that we could throw at the kopites - thing is many of them loved the idea that "he wanted to go and we made him stay".

Truth is no fan would have got near to harming Gerrard - his dad talked him into staying. His family are well connected.

I thought it was common knowledge he was bullied into it. He still managed to hold the club to ransom which I'd rather not be the reason for a player to stay either.

He proved enough the season before for clubs to still be interested.

Every fan who couldn't see it was the midfields lack of creativity was taking the poor performances and low scoring games out on him. Just look how long his thread is.

All about context. You did actually say he was better than us. But I see now you meant better than our position, which is fine.

I just want him to realise he is a massive part of a team sitting in the bottom half of the table. He is around about 9% of the reason for that for me. Same as all other players.

The manager has a big part to play for me to. But not enough to excuse the team.

He wants to play the game....then play it. Talk like your a Cl player

...then you need to play like it to.

It's not like he has dragged us up the table is it...were twenty haha.

Our whole team should put up and shut up. Start earning your wage.

Oh and stay for another Season Rom.

I thought it was common knowledge he was bullied into it. He still managed to hold the club to ransom which I'd rather not be the reason for a player to stay either.

He proved enough the season before for clubs to still be interested.

Every fan who couldn't see it was the midfields lack of creativity was taking the poor performances and low scoring games out on him. Just look how long his thread is.

Parry came out and apologised for not getting the contract sorted after the champions league. Gerrard knew Chelsea were prepared to offer mega bucks, his dad straightened his head out after his spat with Liverpool.

Basically he felt he shouldn't have had to ask for a contract. He signed for millions less over 5 years than he could earned at Chelsea. Hardly held them to ransom.

Anyone great player but played for the shite.

Lad in work is close to a lad who works at carrington Uniteds training ground who reckons rom deal to United is done. I'm not having it that I think it'll be psg or Madrid.

Makes no sense if he wants CL, only an outside chance of them making it for me.

Parry came out and apologised for not getting the contract sorted after the champions league. Gerrard knew Chelsea were prepared to offer mega bucks, his dad straightened his head out after his spat with Liverpool.

Basically he felt he shouldn't have had to ask for a contract. He signed for millions less over 5 years than he could earned at Chelsea. Hardly held them to ransom.

Anyone great player but played for the shite.

2 years in a row. He even handed in a transfer request like the club told him. I doubt his earnings would have been any different. In 2012 he was the third paid English player, not far off Lampard.

Face facts, he's going. As is Stones. Although if he falls on his arse thoughout the Euros for England we might not get as much for him.

Lukaku's agent has had his heart set on getting him a big pay day ever since he started representing him. But if we'd finished top four, maybe Lukaku would have told his agent to shut up as he was enjoying being part of something interesting. As it is, we're dreadfully mediocre, he is one of the hottest young properties in the game, what complaint can we have? The Martinez 'project' doesn't work when the best young players he has signed start leaving because he has a winning allergy.

Face facts, he's going. As is Stones. Although if he falls on his arse thoughout the Euros for England we might not get as much for him.

Lukaku's agent has had his heart set on getting him a big pay day ever since he started representing him. But if we'd finished top four, maybe Lukaku would have told his agent to shut up as he was enjoying being part of something interesting. As it is, we're dreadfully mediocre, he is one of the hottest young properties in the game, what complaint can we have? The Martinez 'project' doesn't work when the best young players he has signed start leaving because he has a winning allergy.

The manager must be confused as to why players care about results when he's admitted the results don't matter as much as the performance.

If he's to go this season I think it will be to PSG. Zlatan on his way out, would make sense. I just hope we can keep him one more season under a new manager. Will certainly be very very hard to replace.

his "on games" and his finishing will be difficult to replace. But his overall play, hold up, workrate and consistency is something that could be replaced at a much higher level pretty easily - and for me we desperately need that in our team.

Lets say he is a 10/10 rating as a goal scorer, I would say for all other factors of play he is a 5 or 6/10 player. I would take an 8/10 goal scorer who is an 8/10 all round player - and that would improve us as a team.

He's an enigma - one game he can be the barnstorming all round striker and for a few games after he plays like a luxury player who needs the ball to find him where he wants to be. He scores goals - but at times of lethargy he finds them far harder to come by.

He is the ideal player for a team who has a midfield that can do everything or a team that has an elite level striker already who they use Rom to bring on for the last 30 minutes each game. I've said it many times - he would score almost as many goals as a last 30 minute player as he would as a starting striker. If he knows he only has 30 minutes you will see the all action Rom that we have seen on far fewer occasions than we should have.

his "on games" and his finishing will be difficult to replace. But his overall play, hold up, workrate and consistency is something that could be replaced at a much higher level pretty easily - and for me we desperately need that in our team.

Lets say he is a 10/10 rating as a goal scorer, I would say for all other factors of play he is a 5 or 6/10 player. I would take an 8/10 goal scorer who is an 8/10 all round player - and that would improve us as a team.

He's an enigma - one game he can be the barnstorming all round striker and for a few games after he plays like a luxury player who needs the ball to find him where he wants to be. He scores goals - but at times of lethargy he finds them far harder to come by.

He is the ideal player for a team who has a midfield that can do everything or a team that has an elite level striker already who they use Rom to bring on for the last 30 minutes each game. I've said it many times - he would score almost as many goals as a last 30 minute player as he would as a starting striker. If he knows he only has 30 minutes you will see the all action Rom that we have seen on far fewer occasions than we should have.

If your assessment of him was even close then I think we should be cancelling his contract never mind selling him!