IGNORED

Stoke City (Away)

markjazzbassist

Don't want him sacked. If we get a good cup run and don't get relegated he deserves a shot at what will hopefully be a good and professional pre season unlike last year's one. If we still struggle and no improvement by end of September/start of October then yes, get rid but for now I'd rather back him for the remaining games. There's something in me that really likes Martinez and last year I thought he was fantastic. A fresh and attacking manager who feared no team and had us playing lovely football. What the fuck has happened this season I honestly don't know. As I said, pre season was the beginning of the shambles that we've seen this season. I don't know if playing in Europe is a good enough excuse either, looking at the players we have in the squad. Something is majorly wrong and the sooner this season finishes the better. Would bite your hand off at 17th.

Martinez is focusing so much on Europa League that PL goes to back burner -

At Wigan he made same mistake by making FA Cup his mission.

I was one of his biggest fans but he has lost it - we are not playing as a team -

we just do not have enough players capable of scoring on a regular basis the way we play.

playing attacking football without scoring goals is a certain death wish

Don't want him sacked. If we get a good cup run and don't get relegated he deserves a shot at what will hopefully be a good and professional pre season unlike last year's one. If we still struggle and no improvement by end of September/start of October then yes, get rid but for now I'd rather back him for the remaining games. There's something in me that really likes Martinez and last year I thought he was fantastic. A fresh and attacking manager who feared no team and had us playing lovely football. What the fuck has happened this season I honestly don't know. As I said, pre season was the beginning of the shambles that we've seen this season. I don't know if playing in Europe is a good enough excuse either, looking at the players we have in the squad. Something is majorly wrong and the sooner this season finishes the better. Would bite your hand off at 17th.

Good reasonable post.

He inherited essentially a Moyes squad and what has happened this season is that he isn't up to it, tactics and man management are shot.

He inherited essentially a Moyes squad and what has happened this season is that he isn't up to it, tactics and man management are shot.

Although I agree that he inherited a solid Moyes squad, I still think it wasn't a fluke we ended up finishing 5th and with our highest point tally. A lot of it was down to Martinez, who lets face it, was a breath of fresh air last season.

Hello everyone, I'm new to toffee talk.

Feeling really let down by Martinez at the moment, there was a real buzz around the team before he was appointed when every team knew we were dangerous. Just haven't had that feeling at all this season, as some of you have said , the team hasn't changed radically just the performances.

Do we give him a chance to keep us up or possibly let him Wigan us??

Or sack him? If sack who replaces him??

Things haven't been this bad for years!

Hello everyone, I'm new to toffee talk.

Feeling really let down by Martinez at the moment, there was a real buzz around the team before he was appointed when every team knew we were dangerous. Just haven't had that feeling at all this season, as some of you have said , the team hasn't changed radically just the performances.

Do we give him a chance to keep us up or possibly let him Wigan us??

Or sack him? If sack who replaces him??

Things haven't been this bad for years!

Welcome to the site, credit for starting on such a shit night !

Maybe it's got that bad you couldn't keep it in.

Martinez Quotes after the match:

"We had 2 or 3 really good opportunities and it's small margins. They score from nothing.

We are ready to get as many points as we can. There have been small margins and we haven't had any luck.

We are a well balanced team with a lot of scoring threat. Today we wanted it so much. We played 5 games in 2 weeks."

If there's one thing we're not is well balanced. Players playing out of position.

Edited by Geth

Seriously mate, you need dropping on your head

Yep, and if you get your way i can guarantee you will be in the same position saying the same things about the next manager this time next year. If we wanna talk facts on a positive level.

Someone mentioned rodgers earlier on in the thread as a comparable but Rodgers excelling in his position. Lets just say, Rodgers has also took a title challenging team and made them fifth place strugglers. Out of both managers, bobby can brag to have won the last piece of major silverware between them. If anyone wants to mention Wigan. We can clearly see that this was a team that battled relegation under Martinez. With him now gone, this team will be playing league one football next year.

Things need changing in the tacticts, not the manager.

I like your optimism Brett.

What if the manager doesn't select the correct tactics as appears to be the case up until now?

I think he has had a reasonable length of time to create a side that suits him ( he didn't inherit a poor team ) and hasn't provided anywhere near the required cohesion within the team or points!

I don't mind losing so much if there has been grit, determination and a good level of play but I'm not seeing that in the way I did with motes for example.

Saying all that I haven't got a clue who would be best to take over!

I like your optimism Brett.

What if the manager doesn't select the correct tactics as appears to be the case up until now?

I think he has had a reasonable length of time to create a side that suits him ( he didn't inherit a poor team ) and hasn't provided anywhere near the required cohesion within the team or points!

I don't mind losing so much if there has been grit, determination and a good level of play but I'm not seeing that in the way I did with motes for example.

Saying all that I haven't got a clue who would be best to take over!

Firstly, welcome to the forums Felix, I'm definitely liking your constructive posts that you have given thus far :). You can probably tell what side I am from my profile picture and signature but as late as last week, I said that I would keep him for the season. After this game though, and especially the first half, I can't see how to justify keeping him on. Get him out!

Martinez Quotes after the match:

"We had 2 or 3 really good opportunities and it's small margins. They score from nothing.

We are ready to get as many points as we can. There have been small margins and we haven't had any luck.

We are a well balanced team with a lot of scoring threat. Today we wanted it so much. We played 5 games in 2 weeks."

If there's one thing we're not is well balanced. Players playing out of position.

Again his inability to see the problems is the most worrying thing. He really is coming across as extremely clueless.

My son, who lives in Nottingham (not an Everton supporter) took my grandson (is an Everton supporter) to the Stoke game last night. His (neutral) view of the game is that apart from a few players Everton seem tired and uninterested. When Mirallas came on near the end he just strolled around looking as though he wanted to be somewhere else. It is clear that Everton are not playing to their potential and that can only be down to one man - Martinez.

Hey look at the bright side - they're still multi-millionaires! :rofl:

I wonder how stubborn Martinez would be with his "priniciples" if getting relegated meant he had to pay Everton back all the money he has been paid this year and for the remainder of his contract?

Very easy to stick to your principles when you don't have much to lose. "I'll go down in flames and then go back to my £6m home and £4m in the bank..."

I think it's about time we brought in pay by performance it's all too easy for players and managers now.

It used to be that way in the 60s

A lot of nfl contracts are like that. Base salary and then performance bonuses. Great way to get players playing well.

Doubt the EPL would agree, they have it made, why make worse contracts for themselves

Yes, the mention of Brendan Rodgers again... He figured out how to turn it around.

LP had a sub-par start to the season, fans were calling for BR's head, and he somehow changed the system and got them into a top-4 hunt.

What did he do that RM cannot? (Was it as simple as going 3-4-3?)

We have 10 games left. Best-case scenario, we come away with 15 points.

Newcastle (Should be a win, but who knows, given the past. But for the sake of argument, a Draw.)

QPR (Win.)
Southampton (Loss.)
Swansea City (Draw.)
Burnley FC (Win.)
Man United (Loss.)
Aston Villa (Win.)
Sunderland (Win.)
West Ham (Draw.)
Tottenham (Loss.)
43 points for the season. Crap finish, but no relegation.
That's my theory, ahem.
Edited by veedublin