IGNORED

Sunderland (Home)

markjazzbassist

Should've been our priority last fucking summer like I said.

I'm so fucking angry after today's game. We lost with barely a whimper. There's no passion or aggression, we're an easy touch in short.

We might actually learn one day that just letting sides have shots at our goal without putting any pressure on is a bad fucking idea.

Martinez has a lot of work to do over the summer. The problem is that, based on his comments about this coming summer, I don't think he realises that and is happy with what he's got now and won't do a lot over the summer. If that's the case and we go on like we are I'll want him gone swiftly next season.

We were shite. Sunderland let us come at them and dealt with us easily.

We will see EXACTLY the same next season as we have this season with Martinez in charge.

Nothing is going to change.

Honestly thought we weren't that bad today. Wasn't great but we were better than some performances we've witnessed this season (Hull home & away, West Brom home, Southampton away spring to mind) where I felt we did bugger all throughout the game other than piss about with the ball at the back. Today I felt we at least looked dangerous and had some intent on attacking but it just didn't happen through a combination of poor finishing and bad luck. Sunderland on the other hand defended all game and scored two very lucky goals. The way it goes sometimes. I will put this one down as a 'one of those days' performance rather than blame the tactics or players. What we desperately need though as others have mentioned is an Attacking Midfielder who can cut open defences with passes and feed Lukaku something to run onto. Still feel he comes short too often.

Better all round performance so not quite as disappointing as last week against Tin Pot Villa but many problems still to sort out.

Lukaku was too inside left too often today, for one. He needs to play between the posts when we play as we did today. He'll score plenty that way.

We got what we deserved today, fuck all

Im kind of glad that we have reverted back to these totally inept performances really because if we had managed to keep that unbeaten run going and had finished in the top half of the table it would have papered over the cracks.

We are a poor side and Roberto needs to get his head out of his arse if he thinks otherwise. This squad needs a complete overhaul not just 2 or 3 players

We got what we deserved today, fuck all

Im kind of glad that we have reverted back to these totally inept performances really because if we had managed to keep that unbeaten run going and had finished in the top half of the table it would have papered over the cracks.

We are a poor side and Roberto needs to get his head out of his arse if he thinks otherwise. This squad needs a complete overhaul not just 2 or 3 players

The same thing crossed my mind, tbh. When we went on that little run of victories I thinking to myself I hope that it doesn't make Martinez think everything's fine and dandy.

I've figured out why we were so atrocious yesterday. It was because it was the Europa League semi-final in midweek. It doesn't matter that we actually didn't play in it and only had that truly monstrous trip to the Midlands in our last game, because the Europa League is to blame for our shit season remember?

The same thing crossed my mind, tbh. When we went on that little run of victories I thinking to myself I hope that it doesn't make Martinez think everything's fine and dandy.

I think with his quotes already about who's staying next season answers your question.

There seems to be an air of mediocrity through this team atm. No real stand out players and no team spirit. It's as though we've just been thrown together and nobody knows eachother.

I think we're a very poor side. I also think this will continue next season. Our boats sailed and I can't see any quick remedy.

We are so close to being a great side, I honestly believe that.

There seems to be an air of mediocrity through this team atm. No real stand out players and no team spirit. It's as though we've just been thrown together and nobody knows eachother.

I think we're a very poor side. I also think this will continue next season. Our boats sailed and I can't see any quick remedy.

Even accounting for a bit of mutual hyperbole, here's the basis for a fundamental debate, as "great" and "very poor" are 12-15 places apart in the 2015-16 table.

Without agreeing with the label "very poor," right now I lean in the direction of MC11's description: mediocrity, no real stars, a kind of aimlessness masked and made all the more irritating by Roberto's pathetic cliches. As to our ship having sailed, I feared over last summer that the narrow CL miss last spring would haunt us. Is there any realistic prospect of challenging for top 4 next season? Top 7?

Was 2013-14 a product of Roberto's creative approach befuddling the opposition; and this season the result of the rest of the league catching on, thus reducing Roberto's approach to stale predictability? Can the difference be primarily laid to injuries? Was 2013-14 or 2014-15 the "real" Everton? How good are our best young players -- Barkley, Lukaku, Stones, McCarthy, Besic, Coleman, Ledson, Browning, one or two others? Is Jagielka a strong captain? Is Baines so uninterested in.football that he's perfectly happy to let Lukaku, Mirallas, Barkley, and unnamed others take the PKs; and Roberto happy to let Baines step aside in favor of overconfident boors? Are Howard and Robles strong keepers, or (barely) adequate? Will Roberto think Barry can play 90 minutes week after week after week next season?

Like MC11, I don't see any quick remedy, so until Matt expands on his statement, I'm inclined to think we're not very close to great.

Every commentator, and even the Sunderland manager, agreed that we totally outplayed them. Statistically, it happens sometimes that the far better team still loses. It was something of a fluke. I don't understand all the hand-wringing. Both of their goals were lucky flukes. We hit the post and did everything but score. If the team played terribly, I could understand criticism, but not when we, 99 times in a hundred, would have won a game like that.

Your right Steve.

Mist if mine came from sheer frustration and deflation.

Thinking back, I thought we played some lovely stuff and thought it was a matter of time before we scored.

Imagine if either if McCarthys or Colemans would have gone in. Colemans effort was worthy of Dennis the dutch maestro.

Even accounting for a bit of mutual hyperbole, here's the basis for a fundamental debate, as "great" and "very poor" are 12-15 places apart in the 2015-16 table.

Without agreeing with the label "very poor," right now I lean in the direction of MC11's description: mediocrity, no real stars, a kind of aimlessness masked and made all the more irritating by Roberto's pathetic cliches. As to our ship having sailed, I feared over last summer that the narrow CL miss last spring would haunt us. Is there any realistic prospect of challenging for top 4 next season? Top 7?

Was 2013-14 a product of Roberto's creative approach befuddling the opposition; and this season the result of the rest of the league catching on, thus reducing Roberto's approach to stale predictability? Can the difference be primarily laid to injuries? Was 2013-14 or 2014-15 the "real" Everton? How good are our best young players -- Barkley, Lukaku, Stones, McCarthy, Besic, Coleman, Ledson, Browning, one or two others? Is Jagielka a strong captain? Is Baines so uninterested in.football that he's perfectly happy to let Lukaku, Mirallas, Barkley, and unnamed others take the PKs; and Roberto happy to let Baines step aside in favor of overconfident boors? Are Howard and Robles strong keepers, or (barely) adequate? Will Roberto think Barry can play 90 minutes week after week after week next season?

Like MC11, I don't see any quick remedy, so until Matt expands on his statement, I'm inclined to think we're not very close to great.

I've explained many times in the past, but to summarize; if we get that AMC in the Silva / Mata / Eriksen mould, who has quick feet and can pick out the pass to the striker quickly, aaaaaaaand if we learn how to pass the ball quickly (which that type of player would enable), we'll carve people open.

We're 1-2 quality players away from being a great team in my eyes.

Every commentator, and even the Sunderland manager, agreed that we totally outplayed them. Statistically, it happens sometimes that the far better team still loses. It was something of a fluke. I don't understand all the hand-wringing. Both of their goals were lucky flukes. We hit the post and did everything but score. If the team played terribly, I could understand criticism, but not when we, 99 times in a hundred, would have won a game like that.

Did I see the same game? Yes we were all over them like a rash, but FFS you still need to want to win, and we didn't. We were ineffectual in their penalty area nobody wanted to run at them, nobody seriously had a good attempt at trying to penetrate the bus they parked in their area. And most of all, Sunderland were the more entertaining side. We were dire and made Sunderland look good. We only came to life after their first goal, why do we do this all the time? We coast along at half speed and half-arsed until we're one down and then we come out to play....too F'in late! We don't play like that against the better teams, we're in from the kick-off: so why do we play so crap and seemingly without a plan against the lower-ranked sides?

I'm so over this shit, Martinez makes Moyes look really good.

Don't tell me it's the players' fault either, it's the manager's job to motivate the team and here he has failed as nobody else has who has managed the blues.

Sick as a dog over this shit. My wife says I should support another team(!) I can't do that but this crap they're dealing out will send me to an early grave. I'm 68, so I can't afford to watch any more of this half-inspired, sideways, don't give a shit attitude by players who are paid way above their talent.

I've explained many times in the past, but to summarize; if we get that AMC in the Silva / Mata / Eriksen mould, who has quick feet and can pick out the pass to the striker quickly, aaaaaaaand if we learn how to pass the ball quickly (which that type of player would enable), we'll carve people open.

What will be our ideal lineup? Still 4231 with Ross on bench?

Fair enough. I infer that you think the young players I listed are, collectively and individually, a strong group, not overrated, needing a couple of new and very talented newcomers to provide consistency, fluid attacking, and goals. Your "aaaaaaaaand" does admit a note of caution, as that's a big concern.

I was altogether enthusiastic at Roberto's hiring, impressed with his encyclopaedic football mind, and of course convinced 12 months ago that he might well fulfill his promise of CL. I'm perhaps overreacting to this season's collapse and deflating inconsistency. I'm willing, and earlier in the season inclined, to blame our inconsistency on all those injuries; but gradually I thought I was seeing larger flaws in players and in Roberto's bizarre decisions. Maybe the Eto'o and Distin and Mirallas (and now Garbutt) episodes undercut my previous assumption that such nonsense couldn't happen at Everton, a "different club.". On a few disconcerting occasions, they looked an indifferent club.

Who leaves, who stays, who arrives? -- the compelling storyline this summer. (Unless Fair Play .......)

Baines simply shouldn't take corners...He is literally useless at them. He can accurately pick the near post out....bit if he wants to get it any further he has to just whack and hope for the best.

Mirralas takes a damn good corner. Why can't we have someone like McCarthy try a few.

Baines simply shouldn't take corners...He is literally useless at them. He can accurately pick the near post out....bit if he wants to get it any further he has to just whack and hope for the best.

Mirralas takes a damn good corner. Why can't we have someone like McCarthy try a few.

We should ask if we can just have a drop ball instead of a corner, that's how bad it's gotten.

We should ask if we can just have a drop ball instead of a corner, that's how bad it's gotten.

why don't they play them short then and just attack? we did this for a while but after a botched one countered for a goal we stopped. no worse than a botched corner near post countered for a goal in my opinion.