IGNORED

John Stones

The way I see it, the club really wants to keep him, and contractually they can do so. I suspect that Stones is happy here and wants to stay as well. However, Stones could earn 2 or 3 times what he's earning now, and that's the big danger. Does he want to stay enough to turn down an extra 50k or more a week? Would you? Transfer fees are one thing, but money talks the most in the realm of salaries. We wouldn't want to keep an unhappy player. The saving grace, maybe, is that he seems a down-to-earth sensible guy with a sensible and supportive family. Money isn't everything.

He'll get his move, he's 21 and will only get better. He has plenty of time to go elsewhere and the better he gets the more money he can command for both us and hmself.

We kept Arteta an extra year, and have held onto baines and jags. We don't always get pushed over, only when it's time to balance the books or a player pushes the move.

Currently we should be comfortable money wise, so unless stones wants to go we haven't got a reason to sell, even then he's under contract.

The Lukaku deal will be irrelevant, the payments will be structured under contract. I'm sure we are due to pay £10m this summer, (was it £3m upfront and two payments of £10m plus bonuses?).

If the club have no intention of selling him, make an actual statement to say he's not for sale at any price. Simple. Forget keeping quiet about it now, just end the speculation.

They want the money or they would have sorted it out by now.

There's been talk that Kenwright met with Bruce Buck to keep things amicable after the public comments about all of this deal. why not do the negotiations during this meeting if it happened?

8 up front, 5m each year for 3 years, 5m in add ons. Thats how I remember it.

The club have said they have no intention of selling, the sent official communication to Chelsea before the media got hold of it. Chelsea went ahead and bid anyway....

Edited by Matt

Keep hearing Jose saying the window is shut as far as he is concerned. Don't really believe him though.

Martinez danced around the topic in the PC, would've been another perfect opportunity to say "no, he's not going anywhere, we are not accepting any bids for him".

He did say we're under no pressure to sell and that we're trying to retain our best players, but it would be nice if he held a middle finger up to the camera and told the others to shut up and sod off!

To be fair he said he's an Everton player and nothing has changed as far as he is concerned. The reporter pushed him and said "what if they bid too much money and the board an't refuse it" Martinez then said there's no point worrying about things that he can't control which is what I expect him to say.

He's hardly going to say he WONT be sold if Chelsea offer 50 million he will be sold (or whatever the magic number is) and he'll be slated. No arguments from me how he answered the questions he never skirted around them imo he said he was our player and nothing had changed he was then asked what if the board get an offer they can't refuse and accept and he basically said he isn't worrying about that because it's out of his hands.

It's the board who need to be saying he isn't for sale at any price.

http://www.espnfc.us/barclays-premier-league/story/2551567/roberto-martinez-calls-chelsea-john-stones-comments-illegal

Not for sale and calls Chelsea's actions illegal. Let's hope we actually follow up with a formal complaint and see them fined.

There's no way we'll report them, IMO, so it's all hot air from Martinez criticising their actions as illegal.

Pacifying the Everton fans to make it look like we ain't rolling over. I think we are lining up our signings with the money now.

Martinez' words on McCarthy renewing has made me think he's actually preparing us for not making any big signings, so if you're right then Stones will be staying and we won't be cashing in.

Martinez' words on McCarthy renewing has made me think he's actually preparing us for not making any big signings, so if you're right then Stones will be staying and we won't be cashing in.

The McCarthy deal has been called our "best business" of the window according to the Echo, so it doesn't sound all that positive.

Glad he's signed but we need more!

I think there is a lot of poker going on right now.

Chelsea will understand that the money for Stones will shape our activity in the market - we do not have the reserves to go and buy quality players without selling. Therefore they are playing hardball.

Martinez will probably have been told you have £10-15m max.... with that he needs a number 10, back up striker and centre half back up. Which is not enough. He probably knows that if he buys cheap the club could still sell Stones for £35m+ and he will have gone for cheaper options when he could have gone for quality.

Martinez is keeping his powder dry IMO, I think it is the right thing to do. Its sods law that Lukaku is struggling but we should be strong enough from a first 11 perspective.

If we keep stones I expect us to just buy a decent number 10, with a cheap experienced centre half. I think Mcaleny will be the surprise package of the season. Has the unknown element about him, impish, quick feet and a good finish. Reminds me of a Tony Cottee with more skill.

The McCarthy deal has been called our "best business" of the window according to the Echo, so it doesn't sound all that positive.

Glad he's signed but we need more!

This is what I mean. Martinez said similar.

I think there is a lot of poker going on right now.

Chelsea will understand that the money for Stones will shape our activity in the market - we do not have the reserves to go and buy quality players without selling. Therefore they are playing hardball.

Martinez will probably have been told you have £10-15m max.... with that he needs a number 10, back up striker and centre half back up. Which is not enough. He probably knows that if he buys cheap the club could still sell Stones for £35m+ and he will have gone for cheaper options when he could have gone for quality.

Martinez is keeping his powder dry IMO, I think it is the right thing to do. Its sods law that Lukaku is struggling but we should be strong enough from a first 11 perspective.

If we keep stones I expect us to just buy a decent number 10, with a cheap experienced centre half. I think Mcaleny will be the surprise package of the season. Has the unknown element about him, impish, quick feet and a good finish. Reminds me of a Tony Cottee with more skill.

I really think that Martinez is determined to keep Stones, even though his sale would more than likely be our transfer budget. It's not like Fellaini where Martinez was saying he wasn't for sale but was only doing it that way to push the price up because he didn't fit in to how Martinez wanted to play - Stones very much opitimises everything that Martinez wants to do. So I reckon he's quite happy to buy cheap this summer. I don't think that's going to be enough for us to improve on last season though, and I can another meh season. Which then leads to looking at why the board can't support the manager adequately but that's been done to death!

I hope you're right about McAleny. Any player coming through the system that contribute is absolutely huge for a club like Everton.

This is what I mean. Martinez said similar.

I really think that Martinez is determined to keep Stones, even though his sale would more than likely be our transfer budget. It's not like Fellaini where Martinez was saying he wasn't for sale but was only doing it that way to push the price up because he didn't fit in to how Martinez wanted to play - Stones very much opitimises everything that Martinez wants to do. So I reckon he's quite happy to buy cheap this summer. I don't think that's going to be enough for us to improve on last season though, and I can another meh season. Which then leads to looking at why the board can't support the manager adequately but that's been done to death!

I hope you're right about McAleny. Any player coming through the system that contribute is absolutely huge for a club like Everton.

I see a finisher in Connor Mc, he's took some time to full out, and he's had a couple of injuries but I really do think he has got the tools to do well.

Martinez has said he wants 3, if he has no intention of selling Stones the funds must be in place for the 3 or he wouldn't of said it unless he is either pushing Stones price up knowing he'll go then buy using the money or planning onkeeping Stones buying one and loaning 2 maybe.

I know I'm stating the obvious herebut it's one of the 3. The moneys there for the 3 regardless of Stones. He knows Stones will go and been told the more he gets for him the more he has to dpend or we're skint and going to keep Stones, get a Lennon for 5 mil and loan a Adama Traore and a another.

I've said before but if we've not got £30m to spend without selling in this window we are either in serious financial trouble, or deciding to not take out the annual loan against TV rights.

I think even if we don't sell Stones we have some money to spend, I'm hoping so anyway.

I've said before but if we've not got £30m to spend without selling in this window we are either in serious financial trouble, or deciding to not take out the annual loan against TV rights.

I think even if we don't sell Stones we have some money to spend, I'm hoping so anyway.

That is what's worrying me Steve. We should most definitely have 30 million to spend, it's not like the manager hasn't said he doesn't want players so if we don't buy without selling something is massively wrong.

We may go out and spend 30 mil next couple of weeks and keep Stones and if so everything is great. If not we're in DEEP trouble.

How many did Martinez say we needed last season... I'm sure it went from 7 to 5 to 3 in the space of 2 months.

That's true like but he seems very definite about these 3, he's repeated it time and again.

To be fair, IF (and it's a big if I know) he brings 3 good additions in and nobody else goes we will of brought in 5 good first team players and only lost a 37 year old defender and an injury prone 33 year old defender.

If these 3 materialise and they are solid players everyone will be jumping through hoops over the window we have had.

It's a fine line between fume and delight .

Edited by Paddock

I wouldn't be so sure. We are probably £15-20m better off but we are probably accruing alot of that to negate the increase in players salaries which are probably going to increase by 30% so call that an extra £8m a season.

You know how this club works steve - a chunk of the dosh always finds a way of being attributed to something not clear. But you get called a conspiracy theorist for that.

Yeah the comment about the loan could be true. So to remove that loan they skip one transfer window to have that money saved up for the next and that way we don't take the loan anymore?

Could be but I think the board profit off the loan personally so I doubt they're trying to remove it.

The vibrac loan is a lovely vehicle for earl and green to cream some cash from the club.

Other clubs have directors who give free loans - we have directors who own pay day companies and use them to fleece cash from the club.

But apparently they don't take a penny....

Martinez said pretty early on that we don't have that to spend, Steve.

I think we'll get the three position players he wants, but whether they'll be the right quality to push us on is another matter.

Martinez said pretty early on that we don't have that to spend, Steve.

I think we'll get the three position players he wants, but whether they'll be the right quality to push us on is another matter.

I think he was being coy, to help with negotiations. If he had shouted out "we've got all that lovely TV money to spend", prices jump up 20% before you start talking.

Living in hope here, but I'm with Steve here.

I think he was being coy, to help with negotiations. If he had shouted out "we've got all that lovely TV money to spend", prices jump up 20% before you start talking.

Living in hope here, but I'm with Steve here.

He said it in the fan interview he did with Followtonians, so I don't think it had anything to do with with being coy to keep the prices down.

He said it in the fan interview he did with Followtonians, so I don't think it had anything to do with with being coy to keep the prices down.

Of course he did, he knew it would be broadcast and the media would pick up on it. Probably a bit of keeping expectations low as well, mind you :(