IGNORED

John Stones

My take on a feeder club. 1- Bringing players through the youth set up (Rooney,Rodwell) to u21's eventually in the 1st team starting 11. Players with extreme talent that are destined to play for clubs that are in the champions league and winning titles. 100% profit.

2. Bringing in players and then developing them into even better players. Players that other Prem clubs wouldnt take a chance on ( Gravesen,Fellaini,Lescott,Dacourt,Arteta and more ). Then selling them on for a profit.

I think we do both so are we not a feeder club?

So Barcelona Bayern Madrid Liverpool Chelsea are all feeder clubs? The list is endless every club buys and sells players it's how sides operate it's a very loosely used term that generally applies to lower league sides who need the money to stay afloat

EVERY club in the top flight of their respective league and so on does it probably on a more regular basis then we do

Edited by EFC-Paul

I think a feeder club represents a club that needs to sell its best players in order to survive and operate.

Do we need to sell stones? I don't think we do, the TV money alleviates that need.

The choice to sell stones reflects "ambition" and it is fair to say we lack that.

So I wouldn't say we are a feeder club, just a club with no direction or strength if we do sell him.

I really like hafnia's points here about ambition, direction, and strength. The article by ESPN FC's Luke O'Farrell that I linked in my post above is a strong elaboration of hafnia's more concise version.

So, hafnia says that selling Stones this late in the window indicates that the club's decision-makers lack sufficient ambition and strength, I'd be interested in some commentary. Is hafnia spot on, a little too harsh, or plainly wrong?

[Please avoid other options, such as "Haf is an idiot, but even a blind pig finds a truffle now and then," or "Haf is clearly TT's resident Einstein, but his rapidly deteriorating golf game has got him temporarily spewing bollocks."]

Edited by Elston Gunnn

I really like hafnia's points here about ambition, direction, and strength. The article by ESPN FC's Luke O'Farrell that I linked in my post above is a strong elaboration of hafnia's more concise version.

So, hafnia says that selling Stones this late in the window indicates that the club's decision-makers lack sufficient ambition and strength, I'd be interested in some commentary. Is hafnia spot on, a little too harsh, or plainly wrong?

[Please avoid other options, such as "Haf is an idiot, but even a blind pig finds a truffle now and then," or "Haf is clearly TT's resident Einstein, but his rapidly deteriorating golf game has got him temporarily spewing bollocks."]

I think strength and ambition at the top are key. Money rules the modern game, probably to its detriment currently, but we're still talking sport here - winning takes talent, vision, teamwork and strength. A headstrong, charismatic, ambitious leader, either in the boardroom or manager, can provide the vision, and through it inspire the work ethic and togetherness that brings success. That in turn encourages top talents to 'buy in' to a project and want to play for a club.

So, in Stones case, it's all about who does he believe - his agent telling him to cash in now, go for the bright lights, the trophies, the CL football and the international acclaim in the short term, or Martinez and Kenwright, who should be flogging their arses off convincing him he can be part of something truly unique and special at this football club, central to it even, over the next two or three years.

The latter takes real strength of character, personality and conviction to sell over the first, but it is possible.

Jones would be an odd ones just having signed a 4 year contract this summer, paper talk again?

I wouldn't mind him still being only 23 with lots of Man U and England experience at that ge he can't be that bad and with a new club and fresh challenge he may prove to be a good sign if it happened.

Just need to wait and see.

Guest rusty747

We have to keep Stones. This is no longer just about Stones. It is about the leadership and ambition of the club. If we accept Stones transfer request it will discourage other quality players from joining us and encourage other clubs to make a move for Lukaku, Barkley etc.

Handled properly, this is an opportunity for Everton to announce it is back in the big time and has ambition. Handled wrongly, we will risk losing more of our young talent and being a mid table or relegation avoiding team again.

Up to you Bill.

Edited by rusty747

I'd prefer Evans over Jones and that's as a back up he's like the big brother from Ed Edd and Eddy

I'd rather he went to United all day over Chelsea and they do have a few players that we could potentially bring here

Januzaj Mata Hernandez etc not sure they'd part with those like but the latter two would sweeten any deal for me

Basically the school bully has rounded on you in full view of your mates and the rest of your year - you are a bit stronger than you were and you have a choice, walk away and hope no one sees it as a sign of weakness and more decide to pick on you tomorrow....

or you can stand your ground, throw some few digs and even if you lose maybe those watching will think "eh up, he's no softy"

I'd go for the latter, everyone thinks you are gonna bottle it, time to get some kudos.

He's like a bumbling baboon. He's just about average as a CB, and horrendous at RB and in midfield. I might shed tears if we sign him, it truly will mean we're ready to accept mediocrity.

Just as a matter of interest Mark concerning your player judgement.....who do you think you said this about ;)?

I want them to give us the £2m for taking a sack of shit off their hands.

Cleverley

I'd prefer Evans over Jones and that's as a back up he's like the big brother from Ed Edd and Eddy

I'd rather he went to United all day over Chelsea and they do have a few players that we could potentially bring here

Januzaj Mata Hernandez etc not sure they'd part with those like but the latter two would sweeten any deal for me

Kinell Paul your penchant for Evans is worrying.

So Barcelona Bayern Madrid Liverpool Chelsea are all feeder clubs? The list is endless every club buys and sells players it's how sides operate it's a very loosely used term that generally applies to lower league sides who need the money to stay afloat

EVERY club in the top flight of their respective league and so on does it probably on a more regular basis then we do

This. Every club sells it's top players. Liverpool with Suarez and Sterling, Arsenal Fabregas and Van Persie, Man U Ronaldo.. The list goes on. Clubs sell players. We sell one who WANTS to go and we're a selling club. :blink:

He's like a bumbling baboon. He's just about average as a CB, and horrendous at RB and in midfield. I might shed tears if we sign him, it truly will mean we're ready to accept mediocrity.

I used to have similarly comical opinions about Cleverley. I think I once claimed he was the worst player ever to pull on an England shirt. It's painful to then have to start hoping you were wrong when they are in an Everton shirt.

I agree entirely with you about Jones as a CM or RB, absolute dog shit. I do think he's been messed about a lot though, he should never have played there and hasnt had a chance to really develop as a CB. id prefer him over Evans, I think there's still time to make a decent Jags type defender out of him.

Jones is suffering from the same as Cleverley. He is a much better player (except in DM) than he is given credit for, still only 23 and already 4 seasons in the Premier League (including a title medal). Granted, he has a stupid face, but he is a solid defender most of the time with 10 years or so left in his career.

All that said, he signed a new contract in July this year, so never going to happen.

Edited by Matt

I used to have similarly comical opinions about Cleverley. I think I once claimed he was the worst player ever to pull on an England shirt. It's painful to then have to start hoping you were wrong when they are in an Everton shirt.

I agree entirely with you about Jones as a CM or RB, absolute dog shit. I do think he's been messed about a lot though, he should never have played there and hasnt had a chance to really develop as a CB. id prefer him over Evans, I think there's still time to make a decent Jags type defender out of him.

He's an old school CB, so he's not going to be a Stones replacement. I could handle it a bit better if CB is the only position he was used in though. All this talk about him being able to play numerous positions is bull; he really isn't able at all.

I'm starting to think I may have been on United's books in a past life and they let me go, because whenever we're linked with one of theirs I get pissed off :lol:.