IGNORED

Transfer deadline day - 1 place 4 all Everton related rumours today

I think you are missing the point Makis.

Walloping the top end players with £500k a week isn't going to make them play better, it further reduces the hunger and need to perform at the highest level. It further increases their power over a club - case in point being Carlos Tevez, I'd have banned the prick from football and sued him for breach of contract.

I haven't seen Wayne Rooney be that player we knew since he has become the highest paid English player. Money is ruining the game.

So, it brings us into looking at smaller clubs... Call them feeders or whatever, clubs where we can send our young players to get valuable game time. John Stones, James McCarthy, Jagielka, Baines, Tim Cahill, players we have who plied their trade at lower league. All their clubs have flirted with administration.

All that is going to happen is that only 5-6 clubs can have the best players in the world. A wage cap needs sorting out.

So you think paying 500k instead of 100k makes them less motivated? I don't and that's why I said it doesn't matter anymore. It stopped mattering at the point where a single contract made a player's future secure. Which would be about a four-year contract at 10,000 pounds per week (which is roughly 2 million pounds, or much more than most people make in their entire career). After that it's rather academic.

Players at that level are not motivated by money. Top players would own much more than they could ever need even if they didn't push themselves quite as hard. Maybe they made 100k instead of 200k, but so what?

In the end, players get what others are willing to pay them. Just like in many other professions when we talk about the absolutely top performers. Entertainment in particular, maybe the artists should also be forced to give most of their money to music and acting schools? Fact is, they are paid well because they also generate a lot of money. You pay someone like Rooney shitloads of money because he brings shitloads to ManU. Not just on the pitch either. Just like you pay a famous actor instead of hiring some nobody to play a part in your movie.

I don't condone the wages but it's entertainment - film stars get millions per film, they have done for years. Football's no different really, it's a form of entertainment enjoyed by billions worldwide. The players are just getting their piece of the pie. Clubs should be lowering ticket prices now as the big money comes from TV. Hopefully Swansea's set away ticket price (£25 I think) will set a precedent for other clubs to follow.

I don't condone the wages but it's entertainment - film stars get millions per film, they have done for years. Football's no different really, it's a form of entertainment enjoyed by billions worldwide. The players are just getting their piece of the pie. Clubs should be lowering ticket prices now as the big money comes from TV. Hopefully Swansea's set away ticket price (£25 I think) will set a precedent for other clubs to follow.

Is that you, Nicolas?

I actually understand what Makis means, just a rather blunt / aggressive tone that detracts from the point being made which I disagree with.

Is it wrong when players earn over £100k per week and Jimmy Greaves cant afford the £30k its going to cost for his recovery from a stroke to be able to walk again?

The money in football has become so far from reality its frightening.

If you are a football fan in the UK you arent even that valuable to your club anymore, the £600 I paid for my season ticket, (if we had 25,000 adult season ticket holders that would be £15m) is so insignificant in comparisson to the TV money that we just dont matter.

Bayern do an adult season ticket for 100 euro, they made a statament that the money paid for the season ticket is far more valuable to the fan than to the club with the amount of money in the game now.

The money has gone crazy and wont stop anytime soon.

Is it wrong when players earn over £100k per week and Jimmy Greaves cant afford the £30k its going to cost for his recovery from a stroke to be able to walk again?

The money in football has become so far from reality its frightening.

If you are a football fan in the UK you arent even that valuable to your club anymore, the £600 I paid for my season ticket, (if we had 25,000 adult season ticket holders that would be £15m) is so insignificant in comparisson to the TV money that we just dont matter.

Bayern do an adult season ticket for 100 euro, they made a statament that the money paid for the season ticket is far more valuable to the fan than to the club with the amount of money in the game now.

The money has gone crazy and wont stop anytime soon.

I agree - years ago (80's) my brother took any one from the family who had never been to a match (get them to support Everton). The price was such that you could do that, now you just couldn't, its become an event that people need to offset against bills, holidays, etc etc, whilst those getting paid just turn up and play.

Those top players are the reason the game makes so much money. If you don't like the way the money is spread, why not spend your money on grassroots football? I find it somewhat hypocritical if people complain about the huge wages and yet keep giving their money to the top clubs. Stop going to the matches and stop you Sky subscription. Go watch non-league football, go spend your time in kid's football instead. YOU are the ones paying those wages in the end.

You are just like people moaning how the movie industry has turned into a blockbuster industry. And then you go watch the latest Marvel movie instead of that indie flick. Should other industries give their money to small businesses as well?

Haven't read any further comments...this one is enough for me. It stinks of pure ignorance.

I've given plenty of money to grassroots footy through my stepson. Also gave it plenty of time through coaching. Hopefully when my near 4 year old son is old enough, I'll start it all again.

To put it down to people being hypocrites and moaners just shows your total ignorance and lack of real life perspective.

So you think paying 500k instead of 100k makes them less motivated? I don't and that's why I said it doesn't matter anymore. It stopped mattering at the point where a single contract made a player's future secure. Which would be about a four-year contract at 10,000 pounds per week (which is roughly 2 million pounds, or much more than most people make in their entire career). After that it's rather academic.

Players at that level are not motivated by money. Top players would own much more than they could ever need even if they didn't push themselves quite as hard. Maybe they made 100k instead of 200k, but so what?

In the end, players get what others are willing to pay them. Just like in many other professions when we talk about the absolutely top performers. Entertainment in particular, maybe the artists should also be forced to give most of their money to music and acting schools? Fact is, they are paid well because they also generate a lot of money. You pay someone like Rooney shitloads of money because he brings shitloads to ManU. Not just on the pitch either. Just like you pay a famous actor instead of hiring some nobody to play a part in your movie.

See, that makes sense. It wasnt so isolating! And I do agree. In any profession you get paid the going rates.

BUT...there has to be a line drawn or it will ruin the fabric of football. Affordability is essential. Keeping it in the family is essential.

The solution is not to consider Premier League and grassroots in the same bracket anymore. PL is Hollywood-like entertainment. Your blockbuster movies where real surprises rarely happen anymore. It's about the big stars and special effects rather than great scripts. Safe, easy to watch but not very fullfilling.