IGNORED

Transfer deadline day - 1 place 4 all Everton related rumours today

We didn't get what we all thought we needed granted but if we'd have brought in the players we did in the last two days or you'd have said to me we'd bring in the following this window:

Delafaou

Cleverley

Lennon

Mori

Rodriguez

Henen

Holgate

I'd have been very happy albeit some unknowns and prospects amongst that bunch but there's potentially four first teamers there

I'm in no way shape or form over the moon but that's our lot for now and I'm not going to lose sleep over it

Thing is Paul 4 of those are the types of transfers the likes of Liverpool do every window without so much of a peep - they look at them, progress them if needs be and get rid 90% of the time. Now we could criticise that model as a way of saying that it doesn't work but its calculated gambles - if one of them makes it like Stones did the then its £££££ - but for every stones there is always your magueye's, Fransico, Rodrigos, Greens,

The reality is we are operating in a small time manner whilst trying to kid the press that we are a club in recovery - we ain't. We won't be whilst everyu viable means of generating revenue to keep up with competitors has been outsourced.

The only assets we own outright are on the pitch now - goodison is mortgaged up to the hilt (worth £8m by all accounts)

Everton is now a rented warehouse where stock is bought in and sold at a profit or loss and that is it.

Cant believe some of the negative shit in here.

At what point does a 500k investment of a scouted striker become a shit deal?

Man U just spent a fortune on a 19 year old striker that has scored 9 goals in an inferior league. Madness.

At what point does that 500k investment turn into automatic Premier League quality? What makes people think he's better than, say, Chris Long?

Try to look at this from the outside. If someone like Stoke had signed Rodriguez, what would you think? That they got an exciting striker from South America who will improve their first team?

At what point does that 500k investment turn into automatic Premier League quality? What makes people think he's better than, say, Chris Long?

Try to look at this from the outside. If someone like Stoke had signed Rodriguez, what would you think? That they got an exciting striker from South America who will improve their first team?

How did you feel when we signed Seamus?

Im not buying into all of this negative crap. Name one squad in the last 10 years that was better. (Squad, not starting 11)

How about 2008-09?

Howard, Hibbert, Neville, Yobo, Jagielka, Lescott, Baines, Saha, Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar, Osman, Yakubu, Fellaini, Rodwell, Anichebe, Gosling, Vaughan, Castillo, Jo, Jacobsen, van der Meyde, Jutkiewicz, Baxter, Valente.

Yes, some were crap. Just like some in the current squad. Some didn't play many games. Just like some won't in the current squad.

Right back position has improved, but currently CB is slightly worse (Stones will eventually be better than Lescott but not yet). Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar, Osman, Fellaini and Rodwall is a better selection to central midfield than the current crop. Wings are better now. Lukaku is better than any of those strikers, but there was more depth then.

Next season looked like even better before we realised Bilyaletdinov wasn't worth the money. We lost Lescott and some peripheral players but bought Distin, Heitinga and Mustafi.

How many Seamus's have all the Premier League clubs managed to find in the last ten years? He was a winning lottery ticket.

How did you feel when we signed Junior, Joao Silva, Guaye, Vellios, Peterlin, Plessis and other punts that didn't work out?

I think the point is Mike - as I stated earlier, for every stones or coleman there is a massive list amounting to probably £20m worth of talent over the past 10 years that falls by the wayside.

Do we stop signing the likes of Junior, Vidarsson, galloway, rodrigo, etc etc - absolutely noty because under our current model we buy cheap and sell big (hopefully)

The reality is that the success rates of these signings ain't high.

I think the point is Mike - as I stated earlier, for every stones or coleman there is a massive list amounting to probably £20m worth of talent over the past 10 years that falls by the wayside.

Do we stop signing the likes of Junior, Vidarsson, galloway, rodrigo, etc etc - absolutely noty because under our current model we buy cheap and sell big (hopefully)

The reality is that the success rates of these signings ain't high.

Of course not but that's no reason to dismiss the possibility of the guy being a success before he's even kicked a ball.

Of course not but that's no reason to dismiss the possibility of the guy being a success before he's even kicked a ball.

I agree - its one of the best feelings in football unearthing a gem, the reason its so good is that it is so rare these days.

Was talking to a lad in work around how people often tell me my brother was one of the unlucky ones - most say he was more than good enough to be a pro footballer but never got that lucky break - an ex tranmere player told me himself.

The reason is this - in the 1980's you had to:-

have connections or

be extremely good or

have the good game at the right time when the right person with the right perception was watching

Nowadays players who have little chance of making it go through a process - they don't get one game they get a period of time even at the age of 8, if Everton release you Crewe will pick them up, if Crewe let them go they go to Chester.

The same applies to the scouting in other leagues - its exhaustive.

I hope both lads turn out to be gems and we quote these posts in the future.

How about 2008-09?

Howard, Hibbert, Neville, Yobo, Jagielka, Lescott, Baines, Saha, Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar, Osman, Yakubu, Fellaini, Rodwell, Anichebe, Gosling, Vaughan, Castillo, Jo, Jacobsen, van der Meyde, Jutkiewicz, Baxter, Valente.

Yes, some were crap. Just like some in the current squad. Some didn't play many games. Just like some won't in the current squad.

Right back position has improved, but currently CB is slightly worse (Stones will eventually be better than Lescott but not yet). Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar, Osman, Fellaini and Rodwall is a better selection to central midfield than the current crop. Wings are better now. Lukaku is better than any of those strikers, but there was more depth then.

Next season looked like even better before we realised Bilyaletdinov wasn't worth the money. We lost Lescott and some peripheral players but bought Distin, Heitinga and Mustafi.

This is obviously a matter of opinion but i feel that we have an over all better squad now apart from central defenders. (Unless Mori turns out to be a gem)

LB is alot better now. So is RB. Wings as you say is better now.

That central midfield does not trump McCarthy, Cleverley, Barry, Besic, Barkley, Osman.

Easy to answer this one.

If he makes a few starts and prices himself.

When he is given a chance and we all step back and judge the transfer with knowledge and an informative view.

Not sure what world you have been living in but 500k gets you a coffee lady in the premier league. To spend that on a possible first team squad striker is not a gamble.

My biggest pet peeve in the world is people complaining about things they cannot control. It is such a waste of time and energy that could be put to better use.

Here is the only fact about Everton at present that truly matters: Whether or not Everton has money to spend on transfers is completely irrelevant. The board has proven in its current format over say the past 10-15 years that it will not spend a lot of money on transfers. The board is running Everton as it would any other business. As such there are other costs/investments that take priority.

If you want to complain about the board members and structure please do so. We, as fans, can have an impact on that. But please for the love of god stop complaining about transfer spending. It is such a waste of time.

I think people need to accept that there are fans (fanatics) and supporters/followers. This isn't a case of one being better than the other, or about whether you go the game or not, or caring more about the club than someone else.

Fans tend to be interested in every single detail of the club, and they often get caught up in the emotion of things. I know I've lost my head a few times. Whereas supporters/followers don't sweat the small stuff and look at things in a more methodical way. They are able to take a step back. It may come across as not caring as much but that's an unfair accusation to throw about.

There's no right or wrong way to go about being part of the Everton family, you just need to accept that people will do it in different ways.

I probably haven't worded this right or got what I mean across but there it is.

I know where you're coming from.

But you also have to be realistic in your expectations. And a lot of the anger comes from not being so.

But you also have to be realistic in your expectations. And a lot of the anger comes from not being so.

I wasn't coming at it from one particular side. It was for both sides to take into consideration.

And I don't really think it's unrealistic to expect real money to be spent when we play in the richest league in the world and we're supposedly a well run football club.

I could throw it out there that your ambitions have been lowered and that's why it looks like you don't care as much. But as I said earlier, that's an unfair suggestion.

Edited by Romey 1878

depends on whether or not you have allowed your expations to be dampened.... I'm still valuing Everton as a club circa 1985-1987 where we seen what a huge club it really is. So therefore nothing but the best is good enough for me... after all i'm an Evertonian and that is what we are said to have as our motto.

depends on whether or not you have allowed your expations to be dampened.... I'm still valuing Everton as a club circa 1985-1987 where we seen what a huge club it really is. So therefore nothing but the best is good enough for me... after all i'm an Evertonian and that is what we are said to have as our motto.

Maybe not dampened, but 'realigned'. Surely 30 years of pretty much nothing does this?

I was born in 82...so the glory years were gone by the time I took real notice of footy. Obviously I was aware of them, as Everton is my families team. But for me, the 90's is when I start remembering fully about Everton. And as we know, bar the 95 Cup, the 90's were shit.

So, I dunno...

I'm a few years too young to remember the 80s, but I remember the 90s exceptionally well and because of that I've got different expections. I still think of us as a big club, but the realisation of 1 cup in 30 years (give or take) just puts things into perspective. Real life will always impact expectations though, Haf. We're nearly all Evertonians here, we all want the best for the club.

You're. wasting your breath because you're talking to some people who don't really understand mate.

I'm out if here.

You fell into the trap Paddock. Venting frustration on the forum is never the wisest thing to do (been there done that) as there's plenty on here ready to stir the spoon and act all level headed.

You fell into the trap Paddock. Venting frustration on the forum is never the wisest thing to do (been there done that) as there's plenty on here ready to stir the spoon and act all level headed.

Would've thought that'd be clear given the sites motto ;)

Venting is fine, it's just worrying watching someone give themselves a heart attack!

Maybe not dampened, but 'realigned'. Surely 30 years of pretty much nothing does this?

I was born in 82...so the glory years were gone by the time I took real notice of footy. Obviously I was aware of them, as Everton is my families team. But for me, the 90's is when I start remembering fully about Everton. And as we know, bar the 95 Cup, the 90's were shit.

So, I dunno...

When I were a lad....

Harry Catterick was manager. I cheered for Everton in the Cup final against West Brom because I like the blue colour. I was very disappointed when they lost in extra time. I can still remember most of the players, though, such was the impact.