IGNORED

Transfer deadline day - 1 place 4 all Everton related rumours today

I think the worst thing about all of this is going to be listening to my fellow supporters bitch for the rest of the season. I feel bad for those of you who can make it to Goodison, only to end up listening to moans and groans from fans who are taking their frustrations out on the players.

People will only bitch if we have a bad season; if we have a good one this will all be forgotten (until the next time).

I have to smile at the extreme comments I've been reading all day. "I've had it with Everton" and the like. I'd make a few observations.

1) We brought in several good players: Deulofeu, Cleverley, Henen, Mori, Holgate, Rodriguz, maybe yet Lennon.

2) We kept some of our crown jewels: Stones, Barkley, Coleman, etc.

3) We lost only players we wanted to lose: Distin, Alcaraz, Green.

4) We managed this on a low budget, allowing the club to invest in other ways.

5) Other clubs really screwed up: Chelsea, United, WBA, for example.

6) There are a lot of unhappy players around right now, but none of them appear to be at Everton.

We're stronger as a team and stronger financially. We're also younger as a team.

So, where exactly is the bad news in all of this? Is this a case of someone wishing for the latest Playstation for Christmas when their parents thought it better to spend their money in other ways? Of course we all get excited when it's present time, but what matters is the big picture.

The only downside I see is that, behind the scenes, Chelsea's owner probably blocked our access to Yarmolenko because we wouldn't sell Stones. So be it.

This 100000000000%. We may not have "splashed the cash" but we've significantly paid down our debts while improving the squad in some areas with players who we've brought in on a bargain. Paying off large chunks of the debt, I believe, has also reduced the interest we are paying on it. Either way, we have a squad that will compete for a top 6 position, and we've added to it and kept it together without taking a financial hit. This sets us up for future success better than mortgaging our future on a few expensive signings, who may or may not be marquee players after all. Balancing the books also makes us more appealing to potential investors, who don't have the burden of a ton of debt with a club who has a shitty turnover because of bad business deals. We won't get relegated. There are plenty of positive things we COULD say right now. We will be just fine.

That said, don't tell me I'm getting an car all year and then give me a perfectly fine bicycle, some new rollerblades and a skateboard.

I'm guessing Roberto is more furious with how this all panned out than anybody. He's the parent who promised the car, only to find out that he's not getting his Christmas bonus after all.

I have to smile at the extreme comments I've been reading all day. "I've had it with Everton" and the like. I'd make a few observations.

1) We brought in several good players: Deulofeu, Cleverley, Henen, Mori, Holgate, Rodriguz, maybe yet Lennon.

2) We kept some of our crown jewels: Stones, Barkley, Coleman, etc.

3) We lost only players we wanted to lose: Distin, Alcaraz, Green.

4) We managed this on a low budget, allowing the club to invest in other ways.

5) Other clubs really screwed up: Chelsea, United, WBA, for example.

6) There are a lot of unhappy players around right now, but none of them appear to be at Everton.

We're stronger as a team and stronger financially. We're also younger as a team.

So, where exactly is the bad news in all of this? Is this a case of someone wishing for the latest Playstation for Christmas when their parents thought it better to spend their money in other ways? Of course we all get excited when it's present time, but what matters is the big picture.

The only downside I see is that, behind the scenes, Chelsea's owner probably blocked our access to Yarmolenko because we wouldn't sell Stones. So be it.

retaining players isn't the aim of a transfer window, getting rid of deadwood and buying players for the talents gaps in the team is the aim. If players are contracted then there really is no issue.

I admit up front that I'm more relieved that the window is closed than discouraged that we failed to get a #10. My point here is not that we should be giddy about this long, long season still in front of us, but that almost anything can happen; and it's equally likely that we'll end up 6th as 13th. Or whatever.

For me, the two overriding issues are injuries and Barry. The injuries to Baines and Cleverley will hurt our chances at pushing for 4th, even 6th. Any further long-term (months) injuries, and we'll just lose a few too many points this Fall to recover sufficiently next Spring. We can't really even afford another couple of intermediate-term (weeks) losses. A key player out for one match, ok, but beyond that, the injuries will doom us to mid-table.

Barry -- He helps, until he hurts. If Barry starts 50% of the matches, and doesn't get a red, that's ok. But 90% starting won't do. Going into the 6 Sept-Oct EPL matches, I fear Roberto will "depend" on Barry's experience, at the expense of younger, talented players who will see less of the pitch because Barry's seeing too much of it.

After the international break, and barring Problem #1 -- more injuries -- here's what looks like our best post-deadline team:

............................. Howard ............................

Coleman ..... Stones ..... Jagielka ..... Oviedo

................ McCarthy .....................................

.........................................Barkley ................

....Deulofeu ............................. Mirallas ......

.................................. Kone .........................

..................Lukaku .......................................

I don't know what to call it, 4-2-3-1, or 4-4-2, though it's really 4-1-4-1. In a sense, each of Kone, Mirallas, and Deulofeu can be a kind of "false 10," seeing as we have no "true 10," but also seeing as each of those 3 can move between wing and the space between Barkley and Lukaku.

Naismith is good enough as a poacher to spell a tiring Kone or Lukaku. Besic can spell McCarthy. Lennon will challenge Deulofeu and Mirallas to keep their spots, as when he starts on the right, either Deulofeu goes to bench or to RW, with Mirallas on bench. I suppose for some matches, 2 DMs might be appropriate, in which case throw Barry in there with McCarthy or Besic, and start the match with one of Barkley, Deulofeu/Lennon, Mirallas/Lennon, or Kone on bench, depending on who's been the least effective.

But if it's Barry all the time, it's the opposite of exciting: plodding. Make that plodddddding.

I know I said I'm out but where's the evidence we've paid down the debt by not spending this window? Have the accounts been released early?

Eh, I don't know. I read a piece the other day where somebody was discussing facts and figures, and the author was positive about all of this, regarding our lack of spending this summer. The guy used to write for the Guardian, but I can't remember his name.

My blind faith in this is helping me stay sane at the moment.

Eh, I don't know. I read a piece the other day where somebody was discussing facts and figures, and the author was positive about all of this, regarding our lack of spending this summer. The guy used to write for the Guardian, but I can't remember his name.

My blind faith in this is helping me stay sane at the moment.

All anyone can do on that front is theorise until the next set of accounts are released. Be interesting to see if that is what's happened. If it hasn't then where has the money gone?

I know I said I'm out but where's the evidence we've paid down the debt by not spending this window? Have the accounts been released early?

Yeah, it's a bit OTT at the moment to talk of that. Must admit I fully expect that to be the case when the accounts are released. If not, I'll be a bit peeved and questioning.

I fucking despair at some of the comments here these are EXACTLY the type of attitudes that has turned us in to a mid table shit club. We've been outspent by Stoke, Newcastle, West Brom Crystal Palace to name 4 they have all brought in quality players while our squad is no different to what it was in Martinez first season. Add Cleverley, Lennon Mori take away Distin and Alcaraz so we're ONE player better off.

It's absolutely laughable it really is.

Ona plus note, the under21s lookdecent.

If I was offered a centre half, Gerry, Cleverley and Lennon, without losing anyone, at the end of last season, I'd have snapped your hand off.

I'm used to the let downs now. I'd have been made up with a number ten, but not letting myself get wound up now.

i wouldn't. that's the one thing we needed most. i would rather see galloway and browning at CB, and ossie on the wing than watch tippy tappy around the box till its given away and then scored on the counter agaisnt us.