IGNORED

Martinez - Direction?

MC11

The shock loss to teams of lesser quality happen, this is the Prem, this is why it's the best league in the world, it's competitive, it's unpredictable.

If we had closed out a couple more games late on, how different would our season look with and extra 4 or 6 points.... Top 6-7 and in distance of a top 4 place.

We have missed the experienced players this year, against City, with 85 mins on the clock, Baines made the most of some contact, ate a couple of minutes off the clock. Osman was standing over free kicks, in the refs ear, slowing things down, stopping momentum building for a city comeback. With things calm, the team responded with 5 minutes of excellent possession play.

We have missed some key experienced players this year, in a inexperienced team. This isn't a glaring problem, it's a direction the club is going in, and it's only the start of that journey, it needs time, not a new manager.

Off field Martinez has being epic, majority of signings have being excellent, he gives youth a chance rather than playing senior players out of position. A gripe from the Moyes era.

Everton's youth structure is going from good to excellent, with consistent new signings, direction and opportunity.

While I'd love Everton to win the league this year, and won't be happy until we do, I am very happy with the direction this club is heading in.

I back Martinez.

The club however, needs to do a much better job on there international footprint. The premier league is a global business now, Everton does the local community very well from what I see from Australia, but it's engagement and marketing to a global audience is a long way from where it needs to be for growth and investment that's needed to compete consistantly for titles.

This is not a sack the chairman statement, its find a new Chief Marketing Officer, with pedigree and success in a multinational company.

Yes in some ways I agree. The youth do mean there is a certain amount of nous missing.

However...

Does it require nous to defend a corner?

By his own omission they don't even practise set plays

I think Martinez is capable of both genius and calamity. He's a very likeable chap though and I'm just not sure he is mean and tough enough

in all seriousness what is in this "defend or score from a corner" stuff....????

I kind of got irritated by the blatent "we don't practise them" - but really when thinking about it - we have international quality defenders. If we don't practise them do we forget to track the man and jump for the ball??? Becuase thats what it all about isn't it?

I think this is just something the Martinez critics cling to as a means of saying ah yeah we play nice football but we didn't do this under old davie moyes - he would have the players out in finch farm defending corners with blindfolds on and using the sound of the ball to perfect their senses.

For me this biggest weakness we have is a lack of leadership, focus and intensity - we don't need to turn our players into robots, just get a bit nastier and attack the ball more.

next up "roberto hasn't had us do a long throw in all season - look at what rory delap gave to stoke"

It's got nothing to do with comparing him to Moyes.

It's got to do with the fact that we concede all the time from set pieces and therefore should be practising like stink to stop them. if it was as simple as you suggest then we wouldn't be conceding.

The City game was fantastic don't get me wrong and I love how we now challenge the big boys where before hand we'd just try not to lose by too many. We are mid table though and it's not good enough.

in all seriousness what is in this "defend or score from a corner" stuff....????

I kind of got irritated by the blatent "we don't practise them" - but really when thinking about it - we have international quality defenders. If we don't practise them do we forget to track the man and jump for the ball??? Becuase thats what it all about isn't it?

I think this is just something the Martinez critics cling to as a means of saying ah yeah we play nice football but we didn't do this under old davie moyes - he would have the players out in finch farm defending corners with blindfolds on and using the sound of the ball to perfect their senses.

For me this biggest weakness we have is a lack of leadership, focus and intensity - we don't need to turn our players into robots, just get a bit nastier and attack the ball more.

next up "roberto hasn't had us do a long throw in all season - look at what rory delap gave to stoke"

It's a large part, sure. When attacking a corner, you need practice how to make runs to block others off, how to fool the opponents into going after the wrong guy. If you're practicing attacking like this, your defenders will be better at seeing these possible tricks and turns.

It's a large part, sure. When attacking a corner, you need practice how to make runs to block others off, how to fool the opponents into going after the wrong guy. If you're practicing attacking like this, your defenders will be better at seeing these possible tricks and turns.

Thing is Matt you can't legislate for what other teams plan - there are all sorts of ways a team can use their own man to shield a run on a corner - there is no clue as to what will happen. Example John Terry/Ivanovic usually have 2 or 3 men they can choose to try and shield their attack.

At the end of the day its about players being switched on - a good few goals have been conceded bacuse Tim Howard never commanded his space, he allows attackers in as they know he stays rooted to his line and he doesn't flatten strikers. If a player heads it from 12 yards versus 6 yards the outcomes are vastly different.

You really believe that the team you watched last night is going to finish bottom half this season, and again next? I don't.

Plus they're all under contract so we can keep them if we choose to, as we proved with Stones in the Summer.

Unfortunately the team we watched last night isn't seen enough.

We were great against Palace, and great for half the games against Norwich, Bournmouth, and Spurs. We played well in parts of the Stoke and Leicester games as well. We ended up with very little to show for those performances.

Until we can show some consistency and (struggling for the right word here stupid Thierry Henry Renault advert keeps popping into mind) I will not have faith in Martinez.

As for players being under contract do you really believe those contracts are worth a thing? Genuinely interested in your opinion.

We were great against Palace, and great for half the games against Norwich, Bournmouth, and Spurs. We played well in parts of the Stoke and Leicester games as well. We ended up with very little to show for those performances.

Until we can show some consistency and (struggling for the right word here stupid Thierry Henry Renault advert keeps popping into mind) I will not have faith in Martinez.

As for players being under contract do you really believe those contracts are worth a thing? Genuinely interested in your opinion.

Va va voom?

That is, indeed, part of the challenge. Maybe it's the most important question right now, and only time will tell. If I was a young player, though, such a long-term vision would be important. In the job market in general, it's well accepted that we choose jobs based on the challenge and the environment far more often than because of a higher wage. Will that apply here, when career spans are shorter? I don't know.

You're also looking at it from a different generational perspective.

Thing is Matt you can't legislate for what other teams plan - there are all sorts of ways a team can use their own man to shield a run on a corner - there is no clue as to what will happen. Example John Terry/Ivanovic usually have 2 or 3 men they can choose to try and shield their attack.

At the end of the day its about players being switched on - a good few goals have been conceded bacuse Tim Howard never commanded his space, he allows attackers in as they know he stays rooted to his line and he doesn't flatten strikers. If a player heads it from 12 yards versus 6 yards the outcomes are vastly different.

That's true, but if you practice yourself you might see similarities and that might give you the edge.

I kind of got irritated by the blatent "we don't practise them" - but really when thinking about it - we have international quality defenders. If we don't practise them do we forget to track the man and jump for the ball??? Becuase thats what it all about isn't it?"

The worlds best golfers still hit 100's of balls every day.

some good direction:

Roberto Martinez pointed to Everton's refusal to sell John Stones in the summer as evidence of their transfer strategy.

He said: “Nobody is going to be sold to balance the books, nobody is going to be sold for a financial reason, everything is going to be down to the best interest of Everton.

“Nobody is bigger than the football club so I re-iterate that every decision will be made for the good of the team and that’s what the fans know and we proved that in the summer when clearly we were very strong with our strategy and we carried it through.”

some good direction:

Roberto Martinez pointed to Everton's refusal to sell John Stones in the summer as evidence of their transfer strategy.

He said: “Nobody is going to be sold to balance the books, nobody is going to be sold for a financial reason, everything is going to be down to the best interest of Everton.

“Nobody is bigger than the football club so I re-iterate that every decision will be made for the good of the team and that’s what the fans know and we proved that in the summer when clearly we were very strong with our strategy and we carried it through.”

If he sticks to that I'll be a happy man.

Don't under estimate the power of the force though. (Player/agent power didn't sound as good).

Of course they are; as proved by us not selling stones in the Summer. How are they possibly worth nothing? If you don't want to sell a player under contract you don't have to. Simple.