IGNORED

Martinez - Direction?

MC11

he is from catalan. i imagine he would prefer Barca or Espanyol.

Pedant alert (not for the first time or the last).

He is a Catalan, which makes him from Catalonia.

Beautiful region if you ever manage to get there, I've spent more time in the French part of it that the Spanish but they're just as passionate about the region as the Spaniards are.

Pedant alert (not for the first time or the last).

He is a Catalan, which makes him from Catalonia.

Beautiful region if you ever manage to get there, I've spent more time in the French part of it that the Spanish but they're just as passionate about the region as the Spaniards are.

yes i knew that! dammit mike you're right. not sure why i said it that way but yeah catalonia and he is a catalan and he loves his jamon (ham) :)

Edited by markjazzbassist

Way off topic but there's a town on the border called Le Perthus which is insane, the border cuts it in two and to quote the mighty Wikipedia..

"The Spanish part is almost entirely devoted to the sale of alcohol, tobacco and other goods which are considerably cheaper than in France, resulting in the town being crowded with bargain hunters from France. In earlier times it was a convenient centre of contraband."

Doesn't do it justice, it feels like something from the California goldrush.

I understand Roberto passed through once in a northerly direction (deftly brings thread back on track) B).

As another sports manager said recently (Sam Hinkie, GM of the 76ers), most of the managerial decisions are based on probability. There is a 1 in 2 chance that this player becomes good, there is a 1 in 3 that the other becomes solid on a key attribute, or there is a 1 in 10 chance that this player becomes a superstar and we are going to stay away from him...

To acquire a lot of promising youngsters is quite a good approach to mitigate the odds of all of them turning mediocre. For every Lukaku there will be an Anichebe, for every Deulofeu there will be a Velios. But, with time, you only need 11 starting players.

I'm quite happy with the players aged <25 Martinez has signed so far, the team is doing a great job at this. Lukaku, Deulofeu, McCarthy, Funes Mori, Besic look like great players in the making that can play for 5 o 6 years for the club. Combine it with the excellent development of Galloway and Stones and there is something in the making.

All the old duds he brought in from Wigan (Alcaraz and Kone) were squad rotational players that, frankly, have dissapointed. However, they have stopped this type of signings and the other two veteran lads RM brought in (Barry and Cleverly) are 1 English internationals and 2 seasoned players that want to win.

Coleman has been stagnant for a while and his level has dropped from two seasons ago when he had a career year, so there is another U23 lad coming in (hopefully) that looks good. I see this kind of replacements as the way forward.

This is all spot on. My only complaint is that he has to make something of this talent or the talent will leave. If we can keep the young core together (Rom, Barkley, Stones, Geri, Funes Mori) for the 2016-2017 season, I think that will be the season that RM has to make a run for the title.

This is all spot on. My only complaint is that he has to make something of this talent or the talent will leave. If we can keep the young core together (Rom, Barkley, Stones, Geri, Funes Mori) for the 2016-2017 season, I think that will be the season that RM has to make a run for the title.

If that talent remains, if the so called top 4 are as inconsistant the next season as they have been this, then why not.

If we lose one of the big two (Rom and Stones) then if Martinez spends the 50+ Million well, we surely still have a chance at top 4.Thing is we have these players on board now........and we are only mid-table, it's all a bit of a puzzle.

If that talent remains, if the so called top 4 are as inconsistant the next season as they have been this, then why not.

If we lose one of the big two (Rom and Stones) then if Martinez spends the 50+ Million well, we surely still have a chance at top 4.Thing is we have these players on board now........and we are only mid-table, it's all a bit of a puzzle.

I feel that the talent we have now is not coping with the increased expectations of playing well. Some of the mental f*ck-ups are unbeliavable for pros, and some of them are excellent pros (like Jags).

If we lose one of the big two, and we can replace it with 3 or four more players at the same level as the Deulofeu, Besic, Mori... it will be all right. There are not so many good strikers as Lukaku, so I reckon that losing Stones would be less damaging than losing Lukaku, and the top teams need him more. Barcelona could pay up to £50m to land their perfect CB, we'd never play him again unless CL and if you can find another Funes Mori I'll be ecstatic.

The picture changes a lot if what they bring in is another Alcaraz, though.

We could afford to lose John Stones, I believe. Just not Lukaku.

This is going to raise some hackles but I wonder if the man is delusional.

Point one, the team play attractive football at times.

Point two, the times are not always right.

Point three, too many draws are as bad as losses ..... you can draw every match in a season and be unbeatable, but you will still get relegated at the end of the season.

Point four, he is dangerously toying with relegation imo. Try as I may I can not get the vision of Wigan out of my head. Cup winners yes, but relegation in the same year.

Point five Leicester. Who could have seen that? Maybe a one season wonder, however before this season our squad was a lot better than theirs.

Overall I am still unconvinced that we have the right man in the job. But as usual hope reigns eternal.

Roberto spot on. We did win that game the ref gave it away. Offside and over time. Full stop.

Newty I agree. He's got an eye for talent and I can see if Gerry or stones or Lukaku leave him still being able to bring in quality players.

the refs aren't controlled by the FA dunc? i thought they were the ones pulling the strings with them and hence could punish/reward the refs per their performances. well if i'm wrong then yes you're right the refs union or whatever need a serious chat with themselves because this man deserves to be in the championship plying his trade.

the refs aren't controlled by the FA dunc? i thought they were the ones pulling the strings with them and hence could punish/reward the refs per their performances. well if i'm wrong then yes you're right the refs union or whatever need a serious chat with themselves because this man deserves to be in the championship plying his trade.

Sorry you have lost me, I didn't say they were its the Premier League who appoint the Refs isn't it?

I haven't been on this for a while (slap on the wrist) and haven't got the time to go through all the thread unfortunately but I will put my 2 cents in. :)

I think the reason why we aren't getting results is not because of Martinez and his tactics but fans as well. We have got it in our head that we've got this great squad with world class players. (Great potentially word class players not world class yet) and are expectations are sky high at the moment. I can understand why as well, we do have the best squad we have had in years and years. The questions you should be asking though:

Why is our away form better than our home form?

Everton have conceded 12 away from home and 20 at home.

Away form we would be 6th in the table.

Home form we would be 17th.

We are constantly booing Everton when we aren't scoring or playing possession football. Spurs for example, when Stones was playing around with Son. Running to Howard and turning him Son again and again. We were booing and getting overly excited and Stones had to tell the crowd to calm down. (Pretty sure he mutted "Jesus Christ" under his breath as well).

Away from home the players don't get that and can play their own game. We can't do that at Goodison because we won't let them.

So overall, my opinion is not Martinez as I do believe he is a good manager but the fact our expectations are getting higher and higher.

Bring back the days where we couldn't sign Lukaku, Gerard, McCarthy etc and bring back the days where we had Moyes who couldn't of convinced those type of players to join his team in the first place. Bring back the days where we were patient and realists and a top 7 was what we expected each year!

He is under a different spotlight now.... a patronising "well done" for getting wigan to be pleasing on the eye whilst leaking goals will not sit with Everton fans and the media.

Is it a simple case of getting a good defensive coach in or is it symptomatic of our overall style of play?

I haven't been on this for a while (slap on the wrist) and haven't got the time to go through all the thread unfortunately but I will put my 2 cents in. :)

I think the reason why we aren't getting results is not because of Martinez and his tactics but fans as well. We have got it in our head that we've got this great squad with world class players. (Great potentially word class players not world class yet) and are expectations are sky high at the moment. I can understand why as well, we do have the best squad we have had in years and years. The questions you should be asking though:

Why is our away form better than our home form?

Everton have conceded 12 away from home and 20 at home.

Away form we would be 6th in the table.

Home form we would be 17th.

We are constantly booing Everton when we aren't scoring or playing possession football. Spurs for example, when Stones was playing around with Son. Running to Howard and turning him Son again and again. We were booing and getting overly excited and Stones had to tell the crowd to calm down. (Pretty sure he mutted "Jesus Christ" under his breath as well).

Away from home the players don't get that and can play their own game. We can't do that at Goodison because we won't let them.

So overall, my opinion is not Martinez as I do believe he is a good manager but the fact our expectations are getting higher and higher.

Bring back the days where we couldn't sign Lukaku, Gerard, McCarthy etc and bring back the days where we had Moyes who couldn't of convinced those type of players to join his team in the first place. Bring back the days where we were patient and realists and a top 7 was what we expected each year!

Away form is pretty simple for me. This side is a counter attacking one but also weak against good counter attacking sides. The onus is always on the home team to attack. Hence why we struggle to break teams down in our own back yard and are always vulnerable at the back at home. The word counter attack is key to both our defense and attack this case.

Away form is pretty simple for me. This side is a counter attacking one but also weak against good counter attacking sides. The onus is always on the home team to attack. Hence why we struggle to break teams down in our own back yard and are always vulnerable at the back at home. The word counter attack is key to both our defense and attack this case.

Agree.

When United were unstoppable they were the best counter attacking team in Europe.