IGNORED

The "new" EFC

chalkpie

OK not new in *that* sense, but new in the sense that with the recent line-up, a few changes made to this team seems to have made a real difference in pretty much every aspect, but ultimately the final scoreline, and that is what matters most. Martinez making just a few additions and deletions have transformed this team - still maintaining the attacking quality both going forward and on the counter, but a more reassured, non-porous, and no-nonsense back-to-basics defence that has been an attribute which has been missing this entire season thus far,

The additions:

Besic

Cleverly

Lennon

Oviedo

Robles

The deletions:

Stones

Howard

Deulofeu

Kone

Baines

What says you? Do we keep this line-up indefinitely? Do we keep Oviedo in for Bainesy due to his intense energy and infectious work ethic? Robles for Howard (ha....like I really need to ask that one....), Should Lennon start ahead of Gerri? Is Stones a liability more than an attribute?

PS - one more thing: the energy and work ethic of Cleverly, Oviedo, Lennon, and Besic has been a kick-in-the-arse for this team, and has made a real difference. Technical ability is of course important, but energy and work ethic is infectious and I think this current line-up has been demonstrating this in superb form from all of the line-ups all season.

Difficult decisions to be made because I want Deulofeu, Stones & Baines at the club next year so they need to be kept happy; but a nice problem to have.

I know - I feel exactly the same way - but it feels.....odd? Slightly uncomfortable? Yet, fuck it, the results of this team are more important than any one individual and these guys are smart enough to realize that, at least I hope they do.

Oviedo is hard-working, but it's not as if Baines is some sort of flashy, luxury player. He's always a hard worker out there, and he never stops running. I honestly think Baines is still in recovery mode and we were overdoing it with him, so he's getting some healing time. I don't see him as being replaced in the side by anyone at the moment.

Tim, on the other hand... This is the first time I haven't been 10000000000% sure that he will come straight back into a starting spot as soon as he's healthy. It feels different right now. I don't know if it's optimism, the effect of all the talk about him leaving, or what. But, I think Martinez may have decided (because his hand was forced) that it's finally time to take a leap of faith with Joel.

Difficult decisions to be made because I want Deulofeu, Stones & Baines at the club next year so they need to be kept happy; but a nice problem to have.

I think Stones is all but gone tbh, cant see Baines ever leaving now i think he will finish his career here and Martinez likes to have an experienced player around. Deulofeu needs to stay, his career hasn't quite taken off and he needs a good few seasons where he feels happy and wanted, i think the break will do him good.

The "new" EFC is the same as the "olde" EFC it appears.

Last weekend's result was simply unlucky. We were clearly the better team and hit the post several times. Having said that, I don't believe in locking ourselves into the same eleven for every game. It really depends on the strategy needed against the opposition. Sometimes Lennon, and sometimes Deulofeu. Sometimes Oviedo, and sometimes Baines. But mostly Robles.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rusty747

If we can get circa £50 mill for Stones I would carry him to his new club. Personally, I think he has lost his way, has never recovered from Chelski's interest and can't deal with no longer being flavour of the month.

Good business to get rid for the right price. Mori is doing a great job, Galloway is coming good and Holgate and Foulds are not far away. Browning is also in the mix. We could get a cracking attacking mid for £50 million.

For me, it is definitely time to move on from Hibbert and Pienaar (as players, at least) and quite possibly Osman. They are all past it and have struggled to maintain fitness and also have been mediocre when given playing time.

I'm probably the lone fan of Gibson on this board, but I recognize that injuries and other issues have prevented him from playing a role at this club and these issues show no promise of improving.

McGeady is an obvious sell and an example of someone with a great bag of tricks whose mental abilities and decision making will prevent him from every being a success in the PL-- Think he'd do well in Spain or France and definitely a place like the MLS.

Howard's time has passed-- He has been quite poor since coming back from WC2014 and appears to be set on a move to the MLS. Shame because he's had great seasons for us but also plenty of inconsistent ones, but lately he's been flat out poor. Always will remember him as a brilliant shotstopper who lacked a top level command of his box and prone to making a silly error.

Leftback is an interesting one, if Garbutt is really the real deal and showing promise, then I really think it may be time to move on from Baines or Oviedo. Both have shown fitness issues and Baines is probably going to be on the decline for the remainder of his career. With that being said, Baines is a staple of this club and it would probably be difficult to move him on given his high wages and the fact that he almost certainly wouldn't want to leave Merseyside. Oviedo has shown promise, but his fitness has been so bad and he is at a point in his career where he would probably welcome the opportunity to move to a lesser club if it meant being the clear #1 leftback. To add to the leftback confusion, I don't know if Galloway is being groomed as a leftback or centerback but he shows promise.

Kone- really not sure about this one. He works well with Rom and has shown good moments as a squad player, but will obviously be someone who declines in ability and it would be nice to clear room to bring in another younger striker with potential.

Mirallas- Example of a great player that doesn't always have the right attitude. Funny that he's been touted for potential moves to big clubs, but as I see it, he performs much better when he is the big fish in the little pond or the clear star at the club. He's really not taken well to Barkley's rise, Deulofeu, Lennon and Cleverley's arrivals that have made him have to work much harder for playing time. Think it's time for both parties to end this marriage.

It would be quite a hectic summer to move on from all these players, but so many of them play such small roles as it is, so it might not be as disruptive as one might think. We'll see what happens.

Ratings to move on for me:

Hibbert- 10/10

Pienaar- 10/10

McGeady- 10/10

Howard- 10/10

Gibson- 9/10

Oviedo- 8/10

Osman-8/10

Kone- 7/10

Baines- 5/10

Mirallas- 8/10

i think with the new influx of cash we should cut the deadwood. say bye to hibbo, ossie, pienaar, mcgeady, howard, gibson, kone. Sell Mirallas if RM won't play him.

Keep Oviedo and Baines and Garbutt because Oviedo is squad filling at Left wing as well, and galloway is a cb.

Er, no! He will and has played him. How many more clues do we need as to where the problem really lies?

i think with the new influx of cash we should cut the deadwood. say bye to hibbo, ossie, pienaar, mcgeady, howard, gibson, kone. Sell Mirallas if RM won't play him.

Keep Oviedo and Baines and Garbutt because Oviedo is squad filling at Left wing as well, and galloway is a cb.

What he said (or you if your name is Mark).