IGNORED

Aston Villa (Away) Tuesday March 1

markjazzbassist

Stones is a quality young footballer. We need to keep these as in a few years he will be even better. A good footballer is rare in defence and can only ever improve but you cannot improve a player that's not a good footballer. Now get behind the lad and stick together like the toffees historically do unlike other moaning clubs!!! That's what makes us the best club int he world!!! NSNO including us fans!!!

I dont get Martinez's thinking. Just when we're starting to put some sort of consistency together at the back, he decides to play with 3 CBs for the final 15 and on cue we look like a bunch of clowns again. Why? Just why?

because we were cruising.

I get it but rather than try out a defensive change, would've prepared to go all out attack

Deulefeu is the new Mirallas it seems - when will we see him starting again ? or even just playing?

You can't drop Lennon. He's playing brilliantly and the results have been better since he's come in. Deulofeu is awful on the left. Just be glad Mirallas got game time!

Well done to you guys tonight, not that it needed much effort to beat us!

Dont feel Everton got out of 2nd or maybe even first gear tonight, you did not need to!!

Seems a few of your travelling support joined in with our chants about Lerner and Fox!! Loved it!! :guns:

Good luck with the new owners/investors and maybe we will have you back at Villa Park in a few years!! but its goodbye for now from The Vill!!

Dont feel Everton got out of 2nd or maybe even first gear tonight, you did not need to!!

Seems a few of your travelling support joined in with our chants about Lerner and Fox!! Loved it!! :guns:

Good luck with the new owners/investors and maybe we will have you back at Villa Park in a few years!! but its goodbye for now from The Vill!!

Nice post, thanks.

Villa should be a top level club without a doubt, but at least (for a season anyway) we can get away without the "experts" telling us that this is the most played fixture in English history......like we mere punters don't know.

This really is an upsetting post for me. Grown up with Villa being a mainstay in the top flight. Proper club, proper fans!

This really is an upsetting post for me. Grown up with Villa being a mainstay in the top flight. Proper club, proper fans!

Mate, How do you think we feel!! we are heartbroken over it!! at least we will get to go to a few new grounds on away days and 2 True Birmingham derby games..that is unless The Unwashed from Small Heath get promoted!! that would just be the final insult in our demise!! arrgghh!!

We wont be back anytime soon unless major changes are done at Villa!! From top to bottom!

Good luck for the rest of the Season!

Mate, How do you think we feel!! we are heartbroken over it!! at least we will get to go to a few new grounds on away days and 2 True Birmingham derby games..that is unless The Unwashed from Small Heath get promoted!! that would just be the final insult in our demise!! arrgghh!!

We wont be back anytime soon unless major changes are done at Villa!! From top to bottom!

Good luck for the rest of the Season!

I was raised in Cannock so Villa are close to my heart too. Euro champs going downhill hurts anyway. I really wish you all the best for the future mate. Tonight showed how bad things are, we didn't get out of first gear but still won by a street. Good luck from this Toffee anyway.

Guest rusty747

When Howard Kendall signed Dave Watson he tried a back three of Watson, Ratcliffe and Mountfield. It didn't work. Not because any of them weren't great players but because it disturbed the natural shape and style of the team.

I see certain similarities now. I don't think any of us would have expected Mori to settle in so well and look so accomplished so soon. But the fact of the matter is that he has, and he does! On current form he can't be dropped. So that leaves Martinez with the conundrum of what to do with Stones. I have no axe to grind at all with Stones but he should be treated just the same as any other player returning from injury - if the player who replaced him is playing well then he has to fight for, and earn, a starting place again. Think Robles/Howard, Baines/Oviedo, Lennon/Deleufeu. Why should Stones be any different? By making a special case for Stones, Martinez risks sending a dangerous message to Stones and the rest of the team. The message should be 'Stones, you are a good player but if you want your place back you are going to have to earn it. We are not going to make a special case for you.'

For the last few games we have had a back four in front of Robles that, whilst by no means perfect, looked like a solid and improving defensive unit. We should not risk upsetting that just to accommodate Stones. His chance will come. When it does, he has to be ready to take it.

When Howard Kendall signed Dave Watson he tried a back three of Watson, Ratcliffe and Mountfield. It didn't work. Not because any of them weren't great players but because it disturbed the natural shape and style of the team.

I see certain similarities now. I don't think any of us would have expected Mori to settle in so well and look so accomplished so soon. But the fact of the matter is that he has, and he does! On current form he can't be dropped. So that leaves Martinez with the conundrum of what to do with Stones. I have no axe to grind at all with Stones but he should be treated just the same as any other player returning from injury - if the player who replaced him is playing well then he has to fight for, and earn, a starting place again. Think Robles/Howard, Baines/Oviedo, Lennon/Deleufeu. Why should Stones be any different? By making a special case for Stones, Martinez risks sending a dangerous message to Stones and the rest of the team. The message should be 'Stones, you are a good player but if you want your place back you are going to have to earn it. We are not going to make a special case for you.'

For the last few games we have had a back four in front of Robles that, whilst by no means perfect, looked like a solid and improving defensive unit. We should not risk upsetting that just to accommodate Stones. His chance will come. When it does, he has to be ready to take it.

Fully agree and would like to add that if he can not get back in on merit we should get as much for him as possible before he vegetates and becomes less desirable to other clubs.

Absolute shame about the Villa. Another example of some foreign investor coming in without a clue about football and ruining one of England's most prestige clubs.

Absolutely feel for you guys.

And you're right, I don't think we got out of 1st gear. We were poor...which makes it even more shambolic for you lot unfortunately.

I'm pretty sad to see villa go down.

Interested to understand where the blame lies. Personally I think Martin oneill is accountable for basically blowing a ridiculous amount of money on transfers and contracts on players he didn't even use or speak to.

From what I understand lerner gave him not just enough money for top 4 but to challenge for the league. Once he knew he had blown it on a squad of players like nick Shorey, Marlon Harewood, Emile heskey he scampered off blaming lerner.

From Lerners point of view managerial appointments didn't work out send ultimately that was his downfall.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Villa a lot. I studied in Birmingham (at what now is called Birmingham City University) in '93 and had a balls-to-the-wall time! Hung out with a bunch of Villa fans - hated soccer/footie back then. Loved the pints and hash, though! :)

Anybody remember the Flapper and Firkin on Canal Street? It was brand new. I lived in Cambrian Hall.

Edited by chalkpie