• Low
    • Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

“ we have to show the players what we want and that is still difficult because if you play three seasons on your guitar and then one day you need to play piano it is difficult because maybe it is not your quality but it is also a mental question.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-too-nice-says-ronald-11716191

“ we have to show the players what we want and that is still difficult because if you play three seasons on your guitar and then one day you need to play piano it is difficult because maybe it is not your quality but it is also a mental question.”

Sign more players who can play the piano and fuck those off that can only play guitar.

When/if Koeman gets more of his own players in then we'll be fine.

So lads.

It's been a month or so since I posted.

Signed Stekkers from Fulham and that lad from Villa.

Stekkers is not rated by Southampton fans. He was seen as a clever move back when Forster was injured and an able stand in, but he never convinced. Sorry to be so blunt, but better to let you know what you've got. He was once a fairly decent Dutch int'l keeper, but he made mistakes and wasn't a leader at the back in the same way Forster is. Saints fans feel Gazzaniga arguably prove himself as capable to step up as Stekkers.

Gueye was linked with us when Koeman was here. He seems alright, decent, cheap addition to your midfield. Adds a bit of muscle and can play the ball which is always nice, although your midfield seemed alright last season and I would have taken a couple of those players to Saints. I suppose you could say that if you had world class midfielders maybe there wouldn't be so many cock ups at the back with Martinez love of playing the ball out the back, but hey. It's important to note that Koeman loves to play the ball out the back (not in a tedious and risky way like Martinez), but it's probably that Gueye has been signed to be the kind of midfielder that can add muscle, and drop back between the back two to shift them out wide and give more space on the ball. Koeman has explicitly talked about this tactic before and Wanyama did it a lot at Saints.

I wouldn't have said Gueye is the kind of signing you need to push on to CL places, since he's alright, but not world beating. Shame you seemed to have missed out on Witsel, think he was exactly the kind of player to add presence and speed to the midfield, but anyway. Who knows what other signings will come. Only point to say now is that I think you are relying a lot on the other midfielders to be able to play the ball in a tight space and making plays.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on Koeman thus far. I haven't been impressed by him in the transfer window, since all the talk was about a "war chest" and 100m to spend. Not seen much of that, or the claimed transfer ambition, yet, though there's still time.

Are you happy with his showings in pre-season? I guess you, like us on the south coast, are holding off until Sep 1 to make any kind of reasoned judgement on the summers dealings.

Saints? We're alright. Redmond is a good prospect, lively but not going to replace Mane 1-1. Hojbjberg, our new midfielder to replace Wanyama, is the dogs nuts. In a good way. He's a young, 20 year old silky smooth ball playing midfielder. Reminds us of Schneiderlin. His pedigree is Bayern, and he's my tip for fantasy football. Almost every first team player has signed a contract extension this summer, with most staying at the club until 2020. That's arguably the best news of the summer. Commitment to the long term vision and all that. Puel, new manager, seems alright. Untested but an encouraging pre-season. New style of play, also.

Hojbjberg, our new midfielder to replace Wanyama, is the dogs nuts. In a good way. He's a young, 20 year old silky smooth ball playing midfielder. Reminds us of Schneiderlin. His pedigree is Bayern, and he's my tip for fantasy football.

He already was. He's my FF secret weapon, was hoping no one would mention it :shaking fist:

Not a bad tactic though. At least you know what you're getting and you know they wont need time to 'bed in'.

Hasn't worked out for Liverpool in recent years. And why did we have to wait until we got a director of football and then pay a tonne of money for one, only for the club to then go on to pay a shit tonne of money to players someone who occasionally watches MOTD could have identified?

He seems to have a thing for experienced Premier League players.

Well that's not true:

Van Dijk

Clasie

Martina

Cedric

Redmond

Tadic

Austin

Pelle

Romeu

Mane

Forster

Juanmi

Djuricic (loan, never signed)

Elia (loan, never signed)

Stekkers (loan, never signed)

Caulker (loan, never signed)

Alderweireld (loan, never signed)

Of those signed basically during the Koeman era, only Austin and Redmond had played in the premier league before. Loan's don't count, since if you are paying high price for a loan, you don't have time to develop them. You need immediate proven cover. Of the signings Redmond isn't exactly experienced premier league, he's still young. So basically Austin is our only proven premier league signing.

Edited by swisstiss

Well that's not true:

Van Dijk

Clasie

Martina

Cedric

Redmond

Tadic

Austin

Pelle

Romeu

Mane

Forster

Juanmi

Djuricic (loan, never signed)

Elia (loan, never signed)

Stekkers (loan, never signed)

Caulker (loan, never signed)

Alderweireld (loan, never signed)

Of those signed basically during the Koeman era, only Austin and Redmond had played in the premier league before. Loan's don't count, since if you are paying high price for a loan, you don't have time to develop them. You need immediate proven cover. Of the signings Redmond isn't exactly experienced premier league, he's still young. So basically Austin is our only proven premier league signing.

He seems to have it now (that he can afford them).

Edited by Steve_E

He seems to have it now (that he can afford them).

He could have afforded the 3 players you've signed (one under Martinez) at Southampton, too.

5m for Gueye and very little for Stek.

Don't read this as Koeman's strategy. This is all about club and recruiting strategy.

Southampton scout well and prefer young players that they can develop, who fit the ethos/values of the club. Their first team signings are all 10-15m bracket.

He could have afforded the 3 players you've signed (one under Martinez) at Southampton, too.

5m for Gueye and very little for Stek.

Don't read this as Koeman's strategy. This is all about club and recruiting strategy.

Southampton scout well and prefer young players that they can develop, who fit the ethos/values of the club. Their first team signings are all 10-15m bracket.

It was 7m for Gueye and I'm not only talking about the players we've signed, but also about the players we're linked with: Bolasie, Williams, Fonte, Dann...

It was 7m for Gueye and I'm not only talking about the players we've signed, but also about the players we're linked with: Bolasie, Williams, Fonte, Dann...

In any case, my point still stands and it's more a club thing than a Koeman thing.

Mind you, I'm happy to accept that this is Koeman's philosophy that he wasn't able to implement at Saints because they have an established scouting strategy/dept.

The only reason we got Austin is because yes he's experienced PL player but more because he's only 26.. He's not in the bracket as Williams, Dann or Fonte.

Bolasie agreed would be fantastic for you if you can pull him off. Add some pace upfront to complement the height/ball delivery.

In any case, my point still stands and it's more a club thing than a Koeman thing.

Mind you, I'm happy to accept that this is Koeman's philosophy that he wasn't able to implement at Saints because they have an established scouting strategy/dept.

The only reason we got Austin is because yes he's experienced PL player but more because he's only 26.. He's not in the bracket as Williams, Dann or Fonte.

Bolasie agreed would be fantastic for you if you can pull him off. Add some pace upfront to complement the height/ball delivery.

Bolasie would be a disaster if we're genuinely going to pay the 30m that Palace are reportedly asking for.

Bolasie would be a disaster if we're genuinely going to pay the 30m that Palace are reportedly asking for.

Really?

Comparing him to Mane at a similar price...he's older, less technical and creative, still a cracking signing though.

Solid since Palace came back up to the first division.

For 20m he's worth it.

Really?

Comparing him to Mane at a similar price...he's older, less technical and creative, still a cracking signing though.

For 20m he's worth it.

Which is supposedly close to what we offered, but they want £30m.

Really?

For 20m he's worth it.

Mané is younger and has scored in double figures in the Premier League for two seasons running. Bolasie is no more efficient than Mirallas.

Mané is younger and has scored in double figures in the Premier League for two seasons running. Bolasie is no more efficient than Mirallas.

Fair, good points.

Interested to know your thoughts on my post above, whether you've got an opinion on Koeman already after pre season and this summer's activity.

Fair, good points.

Interested to know your thoughts on my post above, whether you've got an opinion on Koeman already after pre season and this summer's activity.

I wasn't overly excited when he joined I'm still not convinced by him if I'm honest.

Swiss good to see you back mate. Yes I love Redmond, wanted him here. With a real team around him I think he can really shine, nice signing.

Yeah stek is backup keeper, both our keepers were shit so no problem there. Gueye is the steel we need in midfield, cheap but I think he will be solid.

Looking to sign a couple CB, A GK, a LW, and a Striker.

Ron style looked good in preseason. Less stroking it about and more direct than Martinez which is great. Seems he favors fast transition play as well which is great.

Not sure what to make of Koeman yet. He talks a good game but as soon as we have stepped up against better and non domestic sides we have looked fairly average however at the same time, I wasn't expecting a miracle change overnight.

I agree on the Stek comments from Swiss. I have seen him a few times and he is no better than Robles, albeit he at least looks more assured. Robles is a great shot stopper IMO but will never inspire confidence.

Jury is out on Gueye until I have seen him play a few more times.

In terms of our style of play, other than being tighter defensive unit (thank God!) and pressing higher up the pitch (thank God again!) we haven't really looked like a cohesive unit and our attacking play has become somewhat stifled. I imagine that Koeman's first plan was to sort out the defensive side first so that is to be expected.

I wouldn't get too excited by Redmond yet as he reminds me of Aaron Lennon but Hojberg on the other hand is a player! I was amazed how little you had to pay for him.

You don't need to be hated to win things, nobody hated Leicester last season, nobody hated us in the eighties (Liverpool aside).

Not keen on the tweet, don't see the point of it.

Because Leicester was an underdog last season. People become annoyed with consistent champions.