• Low
    • Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

I'm glad he has realised McGeady and Niasse are not good enough and not given them squad numbers. I'd prefer him to get rid of Gibson, Oviedo and Kone too and offer opportunities to some more kids. Think it's a real shame Garbutt hasn't got a squad number, and what about the likes of Connolly and Walsh? Think we should be encouraging more of these kids, not handing out squad numbers is slamming a door in their face. They'd offer as much as the players I've mentioned.

If McGeady, Cleverley and Oviedo are average Premier League players then we should have won the league last season, because they're three of the worst players in the Everton squad. For me, McGeady is very near the bottom of Premier League players, Oviedo isn't all that much better than him, and Cleverley isn't much better than Oviedo.

For me, Ashley Williams is an average (to slightly above average) Premier League centre back. A bit better than let's say Ryan Shawcross or our own Phil Jagielka, similar to José Fonte, a bit worse than Scott Dann, but they're all on pretty much the same tier for me. I think of someone like Winston Reid or Dejan Lovren as an above-average centre back, someone like Chris Smalling or Toby Alderweireld as a top Premier League centre back.

To me, we don't have any top Premier League players (Lukaku probably comes closest as a centre forward) and more below-average than above-average players.

McGeady isn't even an above average Championship player. Oviedo isn't much higher either but I rate Cleverly enough to keep him in the squad.

Williams is an above average PL CB probably better than anything we have here at the moment, especially when you look at what we need at the moment.

Must admit though that other than Lukaku and maybe Barry, Baines, Coleman and McCarthy (on their form before last season) then we don't have many others that are above average. However that is still more than we have ever had!

this is why i like the man. he states the problem and says it will be solved, it's not an issue of how, but when. glad he's giving ross a kick in the ass to work harder, he needs to.

“But we will work on it, and you saw Ross in the second half working hard for the team,” Koeman added.

“It is not a question of how good his technique is or how good his first touch is, it’s about him needing to take more responsibility for the team and to do a job defending also. That makes the team stronger.

“We will learn that, no problem.”

He trots around a lot Steve but how many tackles did he make.

He doesn't really need to tackle to be doing what Koeman wants in terms of defending. He has to put pressure on the man with the ball - cut their forward movement off so they have to go backwards or sideways. Under Martinez he was just strolling about, never getting near their players.

Gueye and Barry are the nibblers.

Pressure, pressure, pressure, is what Koeman is about, cut off the oppositions options and they will make mistakes and we get the ball back. Ross does not need to tackle, he needs to pressurise his man, force the mistake and be ready to take advantage.

Which is what I've been bleating on about for 6 years.

He trots around a lot Steve but how many tackles did he make.

I definitely remember two. There may have been more but I'm not sure.

I agree with the other lads that he doesn't need to as long as he is pressing. But if he has the chance to make a tackle I want to see him do it. When he does have a go hes pretty good.

Edited by StevO

He's got the air of a man whos earned his stripes. Let's face it... managers out there with more honours as a player?

Zidane, guardiola (less really as koeman won euro champs with holland), that's about if really.

Not all great players make great managers... but he's had sone tough examination and I like his persona. He isn't in to himself, he's about the result that's it. He seems to expect the same from all staff.

I expect this fella to go on to be a proper success. I thought the same of martinez but unfortunately he got carried away with himself. Koeman has the style of a man who knows what he's doing and he's not here to win friends.

I'm surprised you of all people would stereotype an entire people group based on a relatively short time you spent in their country.

Define relatively short? It's based on observation of living with them for a while (2 years, 5 if you include the travel together) and working with them closely for 10 years. There's nothing wrong with setting a stereotype based on what I've experienced, I've not said anything derogative or insulting in anyway.

Go on....

In my experience, the Dutch are incredibly direct and hugely self-confidence. To be honest, when I first moved there I just thought they were rude and arrogant. But the directness turned out to be much appreciated after a short time because they mean exactly what they say and you know exactly where you stand. There is no filter, it's almost like they are thinking "if you don't hear something you like, that's your problem", though I acknowledge that's something that never crosses their mind, just an observation from my side. In some cases that's brilliant but it can be incredibly disruptive in the workplace too, especially if you're in an international group like I've been for the last 10 years.

The self-confidence thing can go either way; Roberto was insanely confident and it crippled him. Koeman may well be the same or he may be the evolutionary manager we've been banging on about since Martinez first started getting slated, and honestly I just think it's too early to tell.

I've not been 100% sure on Koeman since day one. Not against him either, but I really don't get the hype so maybe I'm being overly critical. The one other thing I will say, is that the Dutch are ferociously proud, hard workers for the most part - I'd move there again before I moved back to England because they are great fun.

There have of course been some bad apples who avoided any responsibility for their actions, threw some good people under the bus to get the own way and most relative to my concerns, put up this facade of looking like they're the shit but are actually just rubbish workers who managed a few token moments so they could cash in. Then again, every country has those types and hopefully Koeman brings all the positives and more, making me eat my words :)

Again, all of this is my experience of the Dutch, and completely subjective. I'm not meaning to offend anyone, so apologies if I have.

Define relatively short? It's based on observation of living with them for a while (2 years, 5 if you include the travel together) and working with them closely for 10 years. There's nothing wrong with setting a stereotype based on what I've experienced, I've not said anything derogative or insulting in anyway.

In my experience, the Dutch are incredibly direct and hugely self-confidence. To be honest, when I first moved there I just thought they were rude and arrogant. But the directness turned out to be much appreciated after a short time because they mean exactly what they say and you know exactly where you stand. There is no filter, it's almost like they are thinking "if you don't hear something you like, that's your problem", though I acknowledge that's something that never crosses their mind, just an observation from my side. In some cases that's brilliant but it can be incredibly disruptive in the workplace too, especially if you're in an international group like I've been for the last 10 years.

The self-confidence thing can go either way; Roberto was insanely confident and it crippled him. Koeman may well be the same or he may be the evolutionary manager we've been banging on about since Martinez first started getting slated, and honestly I just think it's too early to tell.

I've not been 100% sure on Koeman since day one. Not against him either, but I really don't get the hype so maybe I'm being overly critical. The one other thing I will say, is that the Dutch are ferociously proud, hard workers for the most part - I'd move there again before I moved back to England because they are great fun.

There have of course been some bad apples who avoided any responsibility for their actions, threw some good people under the bus to get the own way and most relative to my concerns, put up this facade of looking like they're the shit but are actually just rubbish workers who managed a few token moments so they could cash in. Then again, every country has those types and hopefully Koeman brings all the positives and more, making me eat my words :)

Again, all of this is my experience of the Dutch, and completely subjective. I'm not meaning to offend anyone, so apologies if I have.

I'm sure Koeman will rub me up the wrong way with the way he is at some point, but I would much rather have a manager be direct like he is than what came before. His job is to get the best out of what he has, not to make friends, and I think his way is the better way of doing that. It won't be perfect but I think it'll be effective.

I much prefer straight-talkers to fence-sitters in my own life, even if sometimes it causes friction.

"Romelu is really a striker and with Geri on right, me on the left and Ross (Barkley) at number 10 we had creativity and can create opportunities."

yep - we also have Bolassi Kev..... so lets not get comfortable.

What I like about Koeman so far:-

• told niasse he's not in his plans pretty directly. Martinez would have had him playing.
  • played a young lad in Holgate - Moyes wouldn't have done that this early or at all.
  • I think he's told Rom what's what. Will be interesting to see the response.
  • He is letting Walsh do his thing - Gana looks a great signing.
  • He changes his tactics and doesn't try to waffle