• Low
    • Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

I'm inclined to agree, although some things are true. It is true that contract talks were progressing and had reached the stage of discussing key transfers for this summer (that's not surprising, since I think these conversations would take place quite often with a current manager). It's also true that he changed agents, and that after the change the rumours about his move to Everton surfaced.

It's also true that the club have gone from publicly very happy with him (our end of year awards was basically a big smooch-up for Koeman, saying how brilliantly this season had gone and that we're looking forward to next season), to a leaving tweet with no thanks at all. In fact, the club media quite apart from other players that have left on good terms in the last few years (notably Schneiderlin, Shaw, Lambert), which have been all about 'thanks for their good service and wishing them luck', that the media has been very quiet. Pochettino's departure was in similar circumstances.

I'm not saying it's true, but it does lead me to wonder what happened behind the scenes. It's gone from happy clappy to cold turkey in a matter of weeks (don't we all know that feeling).

The bitterness was never that Koeman was too good, and now he's terrible.

1. It was about his character, that we had thought he was committed and true to his word. He's obviously gone back on that now, and that has soured our view of him understandably. It's not to say his skills of being a manager are in question, just his character. And I think you can see why we'd say that.

2. Football is a game of consequences. If the ball goes in the net, it was a good move. If you try some tricks or even hoofing the ball and you don't put the ball in the net, people question what the heck you were thinking. In this case, the rumours of Koeman staying was a statement that Saints fans wanted to cling to, and something to hold on to, that he was committed to Southampton and that he saw opportunity in us, and that football was about more than just money. So we jumped on that bandwagon, heartly affirming that this was a good move. In other words the rumours that he was staying got a really positive response from us, since he's been good for us. Now that he has gone to Everton, it's brought out the worst in him and us. It's put into question our board (which looked to be making savvy decisions what with successfully giving top players new contracts), our ambition for the next 5 years, our finances, and ultimately, our attractiveness as a club. The reaction to that from Saints fans has been wholeheartedly awful. We're disappointed in the club, feel betrayed, and some of that has rubbed off on how we have talked about EFC.

In other words it's gone from being 'yeah, they are more similar to us than before, the balance of the league is changing what with Leicester's title win' to, 'Is that really what we are? Just a selling club in player and manager?'. And the flipside of that is that fans have come out in a bitter tone against EFC which is a shame.

In any case, my opinions the same, that it is less risky to take Everton who have been struggling, than Southampton who have been doing well. It's guaranteed almost that you'll improve and push for Europe next season. That isn't guaranteed with us. If he wants to take a bigger job than Everton, Barcelona and Netherlands team he's mentioned, then it's a greater guarantee of success. But I don't think that that is an indication of either club, actually.

I don't think Saints fans should be so downbeat (thinking that because he's left it means we don't have ambition), and I don't think Evertonian's should be so positive he's joined (it shows that you have ambition and this is the start of something great). I mean that in the politest and most gentle way. I just don't think that the move shows either. RK's career as a manager was unknown to a lot of us (his playing days aside) two years ago, and yet now he has the power to determine whether one club is 'bigger', 'has more ambition' or has a 'better future' than the other? Nonsense. I think you'll have a good season, and I think we might finish 12-13 next season, but that's fine and probably more a reflection of chance, player purchases and the like as it is down to the difference Koeman will make. Football is football.

Once again a very good and well balanced post.

Of those mentioned in press, typically clueless and jumping on the band wagon and throwing names around, club don't want Villas Boas or Frank de Boer, and Moyes no chance at all. Tuchel hasn't even been mentioned,.

Unai Emery (of Sevilla), Eddie Howe, Pelligrini and 1 other - unknown - are at the top of the list, this is all coming from an In The Know (who works for the club we understand). Vitor Pereira has also been mentioned.

I hear that the club will not rush the appointment and are not panicking.

You have absolutely no chance of getting Emery mate, he turned us down he's going to PSG.

Honestly, though, we have no solid evidence as to what our interest was in Emery or how our interactions with him (if they happened) went down. We have gossip. That's all.

Plenty of jounos saying it was a straight shootout between Koeman and Emery but Emery made the choice for us by turning us down.

It was in the Echo

I never said it was defo true but the point is IF it's true and he turned us down to go to PSG then he'll turn Soton down. I also doubt he would leave Seville for a smaler club like Soton.

Think it's all relative. If he wants a project to get his foot in the door of the EPL, Southampton is a good choice with plenty to build on.

It's unlikely but it's not outside the realms of possibility

Think it's all relative. If he wants a project to get his foot in the door of the EPL, Southampton is a good choice with plenty to build on.

It's unlikely but it's not outside the realms of possibility

So he'd turn us down vut say yes to Soton?

So he'd turn us down vut say yes to Soton?

Or he was never considered by us. I read that Koeman was the priority target and we chased him, could be that we didn't think of Emery as a serious candidate and so he wasn't interested in return

Or he was never considered by us. I read that Koeman was the priority target and we chased him, could be that we didn't think of Emery as a serious candidate and so he wasn't interested in return

He was considered mate I know the journos make stuff up but there's no smoke without fire.

Fact remains, he wont go to Soton.

He was considered mate I know the journos make stuff up but there's no smoke without fire.

Fact remains, he wont go to Soton.

In journalism, there very often is especially in football.

Like I said; it's unlikely but not impossible

Everton ‏@Everton 54m54 minutes ago
BREAKING: @RonaldKoeman adds brother Erwin and Jan Kluitenberg to his staff as assistant manager and fitness coach.
Ronald Koeman has confirmed he hopes to appoint a goalkeeper coach to his staff within "the next two days". #WelcomeRonald

from Twatter

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11671/10316807/ronald-koeman-targets-titles-and-european-football-as-everton-boss

Edited by Matt

Players wont know whats hit them in pre season. Enjoy your summer boys.... its gonna hurt.

Wouldn't be surprised if we had a slow start to the season. Fitness was clearly lax under Martinez, if Koeman is as much a stickler for conditioning as rumoured, it will take a few of our squad a couple of months to get up to scratch.

Sounds like the Monchi thing has fallen through. Don't think he'll be on the move any time soon now.

With Emery's departure a big blow, Sevilla won't want to lose both of their 'top dogs'. Monchi being the more important of the two in reality. Could even end up at PSG with the gaffer? Shame. He'd have been worth the millions it would have cost to get him.

Search goes on.

Edited by Lowensda