• Low
    • Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

Seems like that is just their editorialization of the situation. Moshiri doesn't seem to have Abramovich's need to constantly be in the public eye, and I personally don't see any signs that the club is a vanity showpiece for him. Obviously, he would like to make money out of it and not run a charity. So, there's that. But, so far, from what I've seen, he is personally investing, looking to find space and finance a new stadium, and is making appear to be shrewd decisions in the interests of the club. He said all the right things when he invested, pointing to the type of club we have and its history. He's reportedly been affable with fans.

If he suddenly becomes a vane monster who makes outlandish statements in the press and unduly rocks the proverbial boat in player/manager affairs, then I'll change my tune. But, so far, all I see is someone trying to turn the club around from the plucky, benign, mid-table side we've become and restore us to where we belong: on top. I hate the way that mega money has changed the nature of the game as much as anyone, but we can either look towards the past and deplore the present state of the game or we can focus on the future. Now, adapting to the big-money nature of things doesn't have to mean we lose our identity. We have done very well to embrace our history and situate the club as family club, and we can keep that appreciation of our history and structure all while moving forward economically and being shrewd in our business sense. It's not necessarily an either/or proposition. We can have our cake and eat it, too.

top post, i agree. moshiri has been completely behind the scenes and i'm very happy that's the type of owner he is.

So we were waiting for him to come back of his holidays? Only he's still on his holidays!

I wonder if he took all the merchandise with him when he left so they could do the PR pieces straight away? Surely we haven't flown someone to where he was with a camera, a training top, a home shirt and a scarf? That would be expensive.

Seems like that is just their editorialization of the situation. Moshiri doesn't seem to have Abramovich's need to constantly be in the public eye, and I personally don't see any signs that the club is a vanity showpiece for him. Obviously, he would like to make money out of it and not run a charity. So, there's that. But, so far, from what I've seen, he is personally investing, looking to find space and finance a new stadium, and is making appear to be shrewd decisions in the interests of the club. He said all the right things when he invested, pointing to the type of club we have and its history. He's reportedly been affable with fans.

If he suddenly becomes a vane monster who makes outlandish statements in the press and unduly rocks the proverbial boat in player/manager affairs, then I'll change my tune. But, so far, all I see is someone trying to turn the club around from the plucky, benign, mid-table side we've become and restore us to where we belong: on top. I hate the way that mega money has changed the nature of the game as much as anyone, but we can either look towards the past and deplore the present state of the game or we can focus on the future. Now, adapting to the big-money nature of things doesn't have to mean we lose our identity. We have done very well to embrace our history and situate the club as family club, and we can keep that appreciation of our history and structure all while moving forward economically and being shrewd in our business sense. It's not necessarily an either/or proposition. We can have our cake and eat it, too.

good points and post but I'm still nervous, and statements where money talks and loyalty means nothing are just a bad sign. It's something I've loved about Everton, and it's nothing to do with being plucky etc. It's about having class, integrity, soul and throwing loyalty out of the window goes against all 3 in my opinion.

Bill, yes it's always been a business, at least in my lifetime. But there are ways to go about doing business and ways you shouldn't; we've been a great example of how a club should conduct itself for the most part.

Edited by Matt

good points and post but I'm still nervous, and statements where money talks and loyalty means nothing are just a bad sign. It's something I've loved about Everton, and it's nothing to do with being plucky etc. It's about having class, integrity, soul and throwing loyalty out of the window goes against all 3 in my opinion.

Bill, yes it's always been a business, at least in my lifetime. But there are ways to go about doing business and ways you shouldn't; we've been a great example of how a club should conduct itself for the most part.

It worries me, too. But, this report is simply an editorial about what the reporters subjectively perceive the club to be doing, yet they have no evidence to point to beyond firing Martinez for the garbage he delivered and subsequently making a move for a manager they wanted to bring in. Nobody from the club has made some absurd statement about "throwing loyalty out the window" or about how "class, integrity and soul" don't matter. All we've had from Moshiri are statements that point to the importance of the integrity and soul of the club and actions conducted quietly and with all appearances of class. So, all we can honestly say (based on the evidence we have at the moment) about the apparent epochal change happening at the club is that we have more money than we did previously and weren't afraid to fire a manager who promised us champions league football but put us in the bottom half. Everything else is either par for the course or more tasteful and understated than much of Bill's reign. Edited by JoeQuince

Sign of the times, sadly. We can't afford to be sentimental now. Martinez got what Everton was about and would have happily stayed here for ages, but he was crap. What's better, a short-term manager who probably doesn't give two shits about Everton but has experience and a good track record, or a manager who says all the right things and is very keen and gets the history of the club, but lands us in the bottom half and makes us into a joke?

There's not much loyalty in football these days. The Steve Gerrards, the Matt Le Tissiers, the Duncan Fergusons, the Kevin Pressmans...they are a dying breed.

Edited by Kankurette

It worries me, too. But, this report is simply an editorial about what the reporters subjectively perceive the club to be doing, yet they have no evidence to point to beyond firing Martinez for the garbage he delivered and subsequently making a move for a manager they wanted to bring in. Nobody from the club has made some absurd statement about "throwing loyalty out the window" or about how "class, integrity and soul" don't matter. All we've had from Moshiri are statements that point to the importance of the integrity and soul of the club and actions conducted quietly and with all appearances of class. So, all we can honestly say (based on the evidence we have at the moment) about the apparent epochal change happening at the club is that we have more money than we did previously and weren't afraid to fire a manager who promised us champions league football but put us in the bottom half. Everything else is either par for the course or more tasteful and understated than much of Bill's reign.

another fair post :) maybe it's the cynic in me, maybe it's my fear of the unknown, maybe it's the natural process of change. Either way, que sera sera!

Matt, we started all this in the early 60s with millionaire John Moores of Littlewoods fame. The press gave us the name Mersey Millionaires so City, Chelsea, and other teams are only doing what we done years ago.

The Steve Gerrards, the Matt Le Tissiers, the Duncan Fergusons, the Kevin Pressmans...they are a dying breed.

The Leighton Baines, the Leon Osmans, the Tony Hibberts, ... Personally, I would hope, in a decade's time, to add the Ross Barkleys. They don't have to be a dying breed. Letting money rule over values is a conscious choice.

The Leighton Baines, the Leon Osmans, the Tony Hibberts, ... Personally, I would hope, in a decade's time, to add the Ross Barkleys. They don't have to be a dying breed. Letting money rule over values is a conscious choice.

exactly.

Bill, I'm not old enough to remember all that, but in my lifetime we've acted as role models. I don't want that to stop.

They have every right to be bitter. Koeman publicly stated his disgust for lack of loyalty in today's football and then acts in complete disregard of his own comment. I'm concerned about this, to be honest. By allowing money to trump loyalty, a "money dominates" culture may affect transfer dealings in the future. Will Koeman leave us in the lurch at some point? Will players like Leighton Baines, who stay for loyalty's sake, become a thing of the past? Values matter. Loyalty is important. Contracts are important. What we sow we may later reap.

Those quotes on that photo are made up by a bitter Soton fan, he never actually said that they just took a photo and added the words and a date.

Hi. Emphasizing the following is not my own, but a compilation of various ITK snippets posted on twitter, NewsNow linked articles and the SaintsWeb Forum, and now reappeared in a nice succinct form in a comment on The Guardian:

edit - thanks Romey got there before me

---

1. Koeman left for 1 week holiday with a new contract verbally agreed, transfer budget and expected transfer outs and transfer in targets agreed.

2. Everton approached his (now ex-) agent, to offer him the position, double the salary we were offering and a huge transfer budget. His ex-agent turned them down without informing RK (going off previous conversations they had had, and his clear message in press conferences near the end of the season about a desire to show loyalty and to stay, at least for next season).

3. Koeman discovered his agent didn't tell him, got angry and fired him. He instructed his new agent to begin discussions, but potentially with a view to leveraging more 'ambition' (i.e. transfer budget and wage budget) out of Saints.

4. Saints-unbeknownst to RK- had actually had some concerns about RK for some time (poor relationships with certain players, ignoring young players and the academy pathway to the first team, some compromises with the teams philosophy of play, etc). The attempt to use Everton to prize more "ambition" out of the club showed he wasn't a good fit with the club any more, and it was decided he could take the Everton offer (but only if they conceded to the club's demands) or be put on gardening leave for the last year of his contract. This backfiring of his attempt to manipulate Saints led to him taking a 2nd week of holiday and the bizarre, long delay before Everton got their man.

5. There is a supposition that actually he wasn't that interested in the Everton job, and that he'd have preferred to carry on at Saints with a view to ultimately positioning himself for either his dream job (Barca) or one of the top 5 PL jobs (it is believed he thought he could be a prime candidate to replace Wenger whenever he retires). Despite the huge budget and salary, he has more to lose about getting a shot at a top job by starting afresh with such wonderful financial conditions as Everton now have, as if he can't spend money there and get success, it will be deemed he shouldn't manage a top club.
The irony being he's now been pretty much forced to take the Everton job.

There have been pretty consistent whispers in the last couple of weeks that a few players at Saints are delighted he's going. The statement the club has put out shows they are clearly livid (in its terseness and absence of any explicit gratitude for his work). I am grateful, and he did a lot right. It's staggering what we have achieved after so much unrest both summers, to have actually ended up improving each season. Incredible. My gut instinct, though, is that the way we track potential managers 2 or 3 years in advance and keep a continual short-list of possible replacements that fit our philosophy (in the way every club does with players) means that this might be an opportunity for improvement rather than a disaster.

Thoughts?

Edited by swisstiss

Hi. Emphasizing the following is not my own, but a compilation of various ITK snippets posted on twitter, NewsNow linked articles and the SaintsWeb Forum, and now reappeared in a nice succinct form in a comment on The Guardian:

---

1. Koeman left for 1 week holiday with a new contract verbally agreed, transfer budget and expected transfer outs and transfer in targets agreed.

2. Everton approached his (now ex-) agent, to offer him the position, double the salary we were offering and a huge transfer budget. His ex-agent turned them down without informing RK (going off previous conversations they had had, and his clear message in press conferences near the end of the season about a desire to show loyalty and to stay, at least for next season).

3. Koeman discovered his agent didn't tell him, got angry and fired him. He instructed his new agent to begin discussions, but potentially with a view to leveraging more 'ambition' (i.e. transfer budget and wage budget) out of Saints.

4. Saints-unbeknownst to RK- had actually had some concerns about RK for some time (poor relationships with certain players, ignoring young players and the academy pathway to the first team, some compromises with the teams philosophy of play, etc). The attempt to use Everton to prize more "ambition" out of the club showed he wasn't a good fit with the club any more, and it was decided he could take the Everton offer (but only if they conceded to the club's demands) or be put on gardening leave for the last year of his contract. This backfiring of his attempt to manipulate Saints led to him taking a 2nd week of holiday and the bizarre, long delay before Everton got their man.

5. There is a supposition that actually he wasn't that interested in the Everton job, and that he'd have preferred to carry on at Saints with a view to ultimately positioning himself for either his dream job (Barca) or one of the top 5 PL jobs (it is believed he thought he could be a prime candidate to replace Wenger whenever he retires). Despite the huge budget and salary, he has more to lose about getting a shot at a top job by starting afresh with such wonderful financial conditions as Everton now have, as if he can't spend money there and get success, it will be deemed he shouldn't manage a top club.

There have been pretty consistent whispers in the last couple of weeks that a few players at Saints are delighted he's going. The statement the club has put out shows they are clearly livid (in its terseness and absence of any explicit gratitude for his work). I am grateful, and he did a lot right. It's staggering what we have achieved after so much unrest both summers, to have actually ended up improving each season. Incredible. My gut instinct, though, is that the way we track potential managers 2 or 3 years in advance and keep a continual short-list of possible replacements that fit our philosophy (in the way every club does with players) means that this might be an opportunity for improvement rather than a disaster.

Thoughts?

It doesn't sound like it's been written with a bitter edge, at all. (sarcasm)

---

Thoughts?

All a load of shite made up by bitter Soton fans because theyMve lost him.

I'm just so thrilled that RM is gone, so I feel like we actually have a chance at something now. If he had stayed, more hopelessness would have pervaded the team and us fans. Even if RK is not the man we think he is, at least we are giving him a try and going down a new and unexplored road. I for one am infinitely more excited about this coming season than I was last year at this time. To even think that the lads might even be in shape with proper fitness levels going into the first match makes my meat sizzle (sorry for the disgusting metaphor).

As for the money aspect, what do you expect in this day and age? Its the 90's.

Damn I didn't realise he was that important to them. They seem to making a huge attempt to discredit him.

Love the one about the club already had reservations about him, bit had verbally agreed a new contract along with transfer targets.

Fact is he had two excellent seasons with them. They did better in those two years than I can honestly ever remember.....must be shit

---

Thoughts?

Ha ha that's hilarious, for one it was a pre planned holiday he didn't just book a last minute budget holiday, and secondly take a look at the interview and photo shoot he did, he is still on holiday

Ha ha that's hilarious, for one it was a pre planned holiday he didn't just book a last minute budget holiday, and secondly take a look at the interview and photo shoot he did, he is still on holiday

Makes me laugh they've even got the front to say it. When he initially said he was staying they were all jumping up and down like demented lunatics laughing and giving shouts of why would he move there? No way he's too good for Everton, he's world class and no way could Everton tempt him.

Now we've rinsed them and took him off them he is shite, the board had reservations (even though they'd just offered him a contract to be their highest ever paid manager) and it was all a ploy to get more money and he never wanted to come anyway but now he has no option!!

:lol: something out of Tales of the Unexpected.

---

Thoughts?

Bitter springs to mind

If there were that many concerns with him as the above suggests then surely they would have paid his remaining year off and got a new man in not offered him a new deal

A piss poor attempt to discredit the man when most of the people spouting this shite would have given his arsehole a love bite a month or so ago

Edited by EFC-Paul

Makes me laugh they've even got the front to say it. When he initially said he was staying they were all jumping up and down like demented lunatics laughing and giving shouts of why would he move there? No way he's too good for Everton, he's world class and no way could Everton tempt him.

Now we've rinsed them and took him off them he is shite, the board had reservations (even though they'd just offered him a contract to be their highest ever paid manager) and it was all a ploy to get more money and he never wanted to come anyway but now he has no option!!

:lol: something out of Tales of the Unexpected.

I'm inclined to agree, although some things are true. It is true that contract talks were progressing and had reached the stage of discussing key transfers for this summer (that's not surprising, since I think these conversations would take place quite often with a current manager). It's also true that he changed agents, and that after the change the rumours about his move to Everton surfaced.

It's also true that the club have gone from publicly very happy with him (our end of year awards was basically a big smooch-up for Koeman, saying how brilliantly this season had gone and that we're looking forward to next season), to a leaving tweet with no thanks at all. In fact, the club media quite apart from other players that have left on good terms in the last few years (notably Schneiderlin, Shaw, Lambert), which have been all about 'thanks for their good service and wishing them luck', that the media has been very quiet. Pochettino's departure was in similar circumstances.

I'm not saying it's true, but it does lead me to wonder what happened behind the scenes. It's gone from happy clappy to cold turkey in a matter of weeks (don't we all know that feeling).

The bitterness was never that Koeman was too good, and now he's terrible.

1. It was about his character, that we had thought he was committed and true to his word. He's obviously gone back on that now, and that has soured our view of him understandably. It's not to say his skills of being a manager are in question, just his character. And I think you can see why we'd say that.

2. Football is a game of consequences. If the ball goes in the net, it was a good move. If you try some tricks or even hoofing the ball and you don't put the ball in the net, people question what the heck you were thinking. In this case, the rumours of Koeman staying was a statement that Saints fans wanted to cling to, and something to hold on to, that he was committed to Southampton and that he saw opportunity in us, and that football was about more than just money. So we jumped on that bandwagon, heartly affirming that this was a good move. In other words the rumours that he was staying got a really positive response from us, since he's been good for us. Now that he has gone to Everton, it's brought out the worst in him and us. It's put into question our board (which looked to be making savvy decisions what with successfully giving top players new contracts), our ambition for the next 5 years, our finances, and ultimately, our attractiveness as a club. The reaction to that from Saints fans has been wholeheartedly awful. We're disappointed in the club, feel betrayed, and some of that has rubbed off on how we have talked about EFC.

In other words it's gone from being 'yeah, they are more similar to us than before, the balance of the league is changing what with Leicester's title win' to, 'Is that really what we are? Just a selling club in player and manager?'. And the flipside of that is that fans have come out in a bitter tone against EFC which is a shame.

In any case, my opinions the same, that it is less risky to take Everton who have been struggling, than Southampton who have been doing well. It's guaranteed almost that you'll improve and push for Europe next season. That isn't guaranteed with us. If he wants to take a bigger job than Everton, Barcelona and Netherlands team he's mentioned, then it's a greater guarantee of success. But I don't think that that is an indication of either club, actually.

I don't think Saints fans should be so downbeat (thinking that because he's left it means we don't have ambition), and I don't think Evertonian's should be so positive he's joined (it shows that you have ambition and this is the start of something great). I mean that in the politest and most gentle way. I just don't think that the move shows either. RK's career as a manager was unknown to a lot of us (his playing days aside) two years ago, and yet now he has the power to determine whether one club is 'bigger', 'has more ambition' or has a 'better future' than the other? Nonsense. I think you'll have a good season, and I think we might finish 12-13 next season, but that's fine and probably more a reflection of chance, player purchases and the like as it is down to the difference Koeman will make. Football is football.

I'm inclined to agree, although some things are true. It is true that contract talks were progressing and had reached the stage of discussing key transfers for this summer (that's not surprising, since I think these conversations would take place quite often with a current manager). It's also true that he changed agents, and that after the change the rumours about his move to Everton surfaced.

It's also true that the club have gone from publicly very happy with him (our end of year awards was basically a big smooch-up for Koeman, saying how brilliantly this season had gone and that we're looking forward to next season), to a leaving tweet with no thanks at all. In fact, the club media quite apart from other players that have left on good terms in the last few years (notably Schneiderlin, Shaw, Lambert), which have been all about 'thanks for their good service and wishing them luck', that the media has been very quiet. Pochettino's departure was in similar circumstances.

I'm not saying it's true, but it does lead me to wonder what happened behind the scenes. It's gone from happy clappy to cold turkey in a matter of weeks (don't we all know that feeling).

The bitterness was never that Koeman was too good, and now he's terrible.

1. It was about his character, that we had thought he was committed and true to his word. He's obviously gone back on that now, and that has soured our view of him understandably. It's not to say his skills of being a manager are in question, just his character. And I think you can see why we'd say that.

2. Football is a game of consequences. If the ball goes in the net, it was a good move. If you try some tricks or even hoofing the ball and you don't put the ball in the net, people question what the heck you were thinking. In this case, the rumours of Koeman staying was a statement that Saints fans wanted to cling to, and something to hold on to, that he was committed to Southampton and that he saw opportunity in us, and that football was about more than just money. So we jumped on that bandwagon, heartly affirming that this was a good move. In other words the rumours that he was staying got a really positive response from us, since he's been good for us. Now that he has gone to Everton, it's brought out the worst in him and us. It's put into question our board (which looked to be making savvy decisions what with successfully giving top players new contracts), our ambition for the next 5 years, our finances, and ultimately, our attractiveness as a club. The reaction to that from Saints fans has been wholeheartedly awful. We're disappointed in the club, feel betrayed, and some of that has rubbed off on how we have talked about EFC.

In other words it's gone from being 'yeah, they are more similar to us than before, the balance of the league is changing what with Leicester's title win' to, 'Is that really what we are? Just a selling club in player and manager?'. And the flipside of that is that fans have come out in a bitter tone against EFC which is a shame.

In any case, my opinions the same, that it is less risky to take Everton who have been struggling, than Southampton who have been doing well. It's guaranteed almost that you'll improve and push for Europe next season. That isn't guaranteed with us. If he wants to take a bigger job than Everton, Barcelona and Netherlands team he's mentioned, then it's a greater guarantee of success. But I don't think that that is an indication of either club, actually.

I don't think Saints fans should be so downbeat (thinking that because he's left it means we don't have ambition), and I don't think Evertonian's should be so positive he's joined (it shows that you have ambition and this is the start of something great). I mean that in the politest and most gentle way. I just don't think that the move shows either. RK's career as a manager was unknown to a lot of us (his playing days aside) two years ago, and yet now he has the power to determine whether one club is 'bigger', 'has more ambition' or has a 'better future' than the other? Nonsense. I think you'll have a good season, and I think we might finish 12-13 next season, but that's fine and probably more a reflection of chance, player purchases and the like as it is down to the difference Koeman will make. Football is football.

This happens on a weekly basis I imagine, so it's a moot point.

I think this is the reason I'm so uneasy with his appointment, his behaviour just doesn't sit right with me.

Swisstiss who is being mooted to replace Koeman at Soton? They really got it right with him and Potch, im interested to hear who they have in mind.

Of those mentioned in press, typically clueless and jumping on the band wagon and throwing names around, club don't want Villas Boas or Frank de Boer, and Moyes no chance at all. Tuchel hasn't even been mentioned,.

Unai Emery (of Sevilla), Eddie Howe, Pelligrini and 1 other - unknown - are at the top of the list, this is all coming from an In The Know (who works for the club we understand). Vitor Pereira has also been mentioned.
I hear that the club will not rush the appointment and are not panicking.
Edited by swisstiss

Of those mentioned in press, typically clueless and jumping on the band wagon and throwing names around, club don't want Villas Boas or Frank de Boer, and Moyes no chance at all. Tuchel hasn't even been mentioned,.

Unai Emery (of Sevilla), Eddie Howe, Pelligrini and 1 other - unknown - are at the top of the list, this is all coming from an In The Know (who works for the club we understand). Vitor Pereira has also been mentioned.
I hear that the club will not rush the appointment and are not panicking.

Eddie Howe, IMO, would be an excellent choice. You'd thrive under his leadership. Wishing you all the best on this.