• Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

Some Saints fans being seriously bitter about this :lol:

I'm not surprised. Probably the best thing to happen to them for a long time and it can be seen as a sidestep (with the potential to exceed Southampton's own glass ceiling).

There's no doubt money was a huge factor but we do have a project on our hands with a new man. Young(ish) squad with some decent talent, a famed academy which continues to grow, potentially a new stadium and a VERY decent war chest to get your teeth into. That's an exciting prospect. Southampton have some of those things already, Koeman wants that Barca job and this is the perfect platform for him (personally).

No one should expect Koeman to be here for a long time, this is a step for him but he needs to put the foundations in place before the biggest boys come knocking.

I can understand the frustrations by their fans, considering their league finish but that's a narrow minded view. Koeman's been sold on the bigger project i'm guessing.

I'm not surprised. Probably the best thing to happen to them for a long time and it can be seen as a sidestep (with the potential to exceed Southampton's own glass ceiling).

There's no doubt money was a huge factor but we do have a project on our hands with a new man. Young(ish) squad with some decent talent, a famed academy which continues to grow, potentially a new stadium and a VERY decent war chest to get your teeth into. That's an exciting prospect. Southampton have some of those things already, Koeman wants that Barca job and this is the perfect platform for him (personally).

No one should expect Koeman to be here for a long time, this is a step for him but he needs to put the foundations in place before the biggest boys come knocking.

I can understand the frustrations by their fans, considering their league finish but that's a narrow minded view. Koeman's been sold on the bigger project i'm guessing.

Koeman will only get the Barca gig if he achieves things here so I'm absolutely fine with that.

He was my choice from the off so I'm expecting good things from him.

Me neither, and I understand their frustrations completely.

Koeman will only get the Barca gig if he achieves things here so I'm absolutely fine with that.

He was my choice from the off so I'm expecting good things from him.

So am I.

Because you expect, I trust your and I now expect CL by December. Anything else and I will find you.

Saints Fan here again.

Well, well done. You've bagged the man that took us to our highest two league finishes in the PL season, so that's not to be sniffed at.

You'll notice from our press release that we didn't actually thank RK for his time, and we said our "focus now is to build on our long-term plan, and work with a new management team who share both the club’s and our supporters’ values and ambitions.?"

Most Saints fans think it's a veiled jibe that RK somehow didn't fit our values and ambitions, whether that means he was more ambitious than the club in the short term, or that he wasn't ambitious enough, isn't clear. Nor whether or not the values was relevant. Artur Boruc' hilarious tweet which basically said that RK is money grabbing shouldn't be taken lightly (even though he is a total nutcase). I guess that player-manager relations - not just for Boruc we hear - weren't always as happy as club media made out with all this trashy 'outtakes' and 'xmas fun' videos. Anyway.

Thought I'd come back amid the flak between EFC and Southampton fans about ambition. Feels a bit bitter, and I think I've never read so many posts with "history" in.

Here's the deal, if you are a right thinking Everton fan:

We're aware that Everton has a bigger stadium, though we're both still way below the 50 or 60 thousand seaters that the top clubs have. Everton have a great footballing history and while everyone is talking about Southampton "pushing for European places", it's obvious Everton have occupied that title for a lot longer.

What frustrates us is that we've really seen a sea-change in the speed at which the club is moving forward in the last 7-8 years. Nicola Cortese came in and brought with him a vision for the club (already there, though) and since then I have felt nothing but year-on-year success, ambition, backroom strengthening and the club being much tighter around it's vision, values, mission statement etc.

I feel in the last 5-10 years (or even since the turn of the millenium after we moved to St Marys) that the club is a lot more coherent than it ever has been in what it is aiming to do and how it will carry that out. Let's not forget we've come from League 1 (OK, administration blah blah blah, writing off debts blah blah blah, but you get my point).

For Saints fans at the moment it feels like the skys the limit. Forgive us, for a second. Yes you can say we don't have as rich a history - although I think the south-coast footballing history is very strong and has a great heritage. Us and the skates had more time on the pitch together in years gone by, granted, but the rivalry is still rich.

We feel that the transfer policy of the last 10 years, significant youth players sold for reasonable profit, getting back into European football, highest ever PL finishes, our brand name/supporter base growing around the world, it's all pointing toward an ambitious, developing club. Yes we're still only an average home stadium capacity, and we've not won that much, but we feel we're on the way up. We've finished above you the last couple seasons and you might see that as a blip ("finishing below Saints is embarrassing") but we don't, maybe we're deluded but I really think the club is on the rise.

For RK to go to Everton isn't a big deal, at the end of the day. There's multiple reasons. But why now, that's the question of Saints fans. If there was ever a time in SFC history to stick around, surely this was it? What could possibly have put him off? That's our issue. I feel that Everton being a bigger club who are sleeping, and Saints being a smaller club who are soaring, what's the difference? We're both just as likely to be pushing for Europe next season, the only difference being we've not been doing that as long. But there's never certainty in football. You can't say that the history of Forest or Leeds or even Wednesday (?!) counts for a great deal. At one time they were dead certain to remain well managed (arguably) and solid clubs.

For us, the issue is what questions this asks of SFC. With all the momentum and not just hope but proven results of the last 5 years, why would someone leave at the very time the wave is at it's biggest? I guess the question remains now, and what Ronald's leaving has thrown up, is, is this a sign that the wave is about to come crashing down? I.e. are we about to lose our manager (gone) and best players, and eventually turn the corner and find we're running out of ideas and start falling down the league. That's why we're frustrated.

So there it is. The ambition and success of the last 5-10 years is the reason we are so optimistic, call us deluded, and the reason we are stunned that RK would go to Everton now of all times.

I wish you, and him, the very best and he's a really nice genuine guy (besides the leaving fiasco, whatever went on). We march on...

Edited by swisstiss

Saints Fan here again.

Well, well done. You've bagged the man that took us to our highest two league finishes in the PL season, so that's not to be sniffed at.

You'll notice from our press release that we didn't actually thank RK for his time, and we said our "focus now is to build on our long-term plan, and work with a new management team who share both the club’s and our supporters’ values and ambitions.?"

Most Saints fans think it's a veiled jibe that RK somehow didn't fit our values and ambitions, whether that means he was more ambitious than the club in the short term, or that he wasn't ambitious enough, isn't clear. Nor whether or not the values was relevant. Artur Boruc' hilarious tweet which basically said that RK is money grabbing shouldn't be taken lightly (even though he is a total nutcase). I guess that player-manager relations - not just for Boruc we hear - weren't always as happy as club media made out with all this trashy 'outtakes' and 'xmas fun' videos. Anyway.

Thought I'd come back amid the flak between EFC and Southampton fans about ambition. Feels a bit bitter, and I think I've never read so many posts with "history" in.

Here's the deal, if you are a right thinking Everton fan:

We're aware that Everton has a bigger stadium, though we're both still way below the 50 or 60 thousand seaters that the top clubs have. Everton have a great footballing history and while everyone is talking about Southampton "pushing for European places", it's obvious Everton have occupied that title for a lot longer.

What frustrates us is that we've really seen a sea-change in the speed at which the club is moving forward in the last 7-8 years. Nicola Cortese came in and brought with him a vision for the club (already there, though) and since then I have felt nothing but year-on-year success, ambition, backroom strengthening and the club being much tighter around it's vision, values, mission statement etc.

I feel in the last 5-10 years (or even since the turn of the millenium after we moved to St Marys) that the club is a lot more coherent than it ever has been in what it is aiming to do and how it will carry that out. Let's not forget we've come from League 1 (OK, administration blah blah blah, writing off debts blah blah blah, but you get my point).

For Saints fans at the moment it feels like the skys the limit. Forgive us, for a second. Yes you can say we don't have as rich a history - although I think the south-coast footballing history is very strong and has a great heritage. Us and the skates had more time on the pitch together in years gone by, granted, but the rivalry is still rich.

We feel that the transfer policy of the last 10 years, significant youth players sold for reasonable profit, getting back into European football, highest ever PL finishes, our brand name/supporter base growing around the world, it's all pointing toward an ambitious, developing club. Yes we're still only an average home stadium capacity, and we've not won that much, but we feel we're on the way up. We've finished above you the last couple seasons and you might see that as a blip ("finishing below Saints is embarrassing") but we don't, maybe we're deluded but I really think the club is on the rise.

For RK to go to Everton isn't a big deal, at the end of the day. There's multiple reasons. But why now, that's the question of Saints fans. If there was ever a time in SFC history to stick around, surely this was it? What could possibly have put him off? That's our issue. I feel that Everton being a bigger club who are sleeping, and Saints being a smaller club who are soaring, what's the difference? We're both just as likely to be pushing for Europe next season, the only difference being we've not been doing that as long. But there's never certainty in football. You can't say that the history of Forest or Leeds or even Wednesday (?!) counts for a great deal. At one time they were dead certain to remain well managed (arguably) and solid clubs.

For us, the issue is what questions this asks of SFC. With all the momentum and not just hope but proven results of the last 5 years, why would someone leave at the very time the wave is at it's biggest? I guess the question remains now, and what Ronald's leaving has thrown up, is, is this a sign that the wave is about to come crashing down? I.e. are we about to lose our manager (gone) and best players, and eventually turn the corner and find we're running out of ideas and start falling down the league. That's why we're frustrated.

So there it is. The ambition and success of the last 5-10 years is the reason we are so optimistic, call us deluded, and the reason we are stunned that RK would go to Everton now of all times.

I wish you, and him, the very best and he's a really nice genuine guy (besides the leaving fiasco, whatever went on). We march on...

Nice post, again :)

I hope you get a replacement that will build on your progress. I think Howe might fit the mold better than FDBoer for you guys, especially with your style and the success of your academy.

I've always liked Southampton, as I've said before, so yeah... On March The Saints

Swisstiss - which of the current saints players do you think koeman has a real affinity towards and would like to bring to Everton?

Great post and wish you the best. I always hope you guys win (except when we play you), great

Club and rise from the lower divisions. Best of luck with the manager search!

Great question.

So absolutely, Pelle. He had him in Feyenoord then in Saints. If you lose Lukaku, Koeman will see a need for a target man who can link play (not just height in the box, but a player who has a football brain). Hand's down Pelle fits that.

Other than that, he has lots of praise for Clasie, who also played for him in Feyenoord, Virgil van Dijk (who has undoubtedly been one of our best players last season) and Forster, the keeper.

Any other player I could choose, like Long who he's praised a lot (in answer to a fan's question event on his favourite player last season, Koeman's answer was not to dodge the Q, but say Shane Long based on his improvement in the last year - which is true), or Tadic who he signed because of his contact with him in the Dutch league, or even Jose Fonte who Koeman has lauded because of his captaincy and leadership. All those players are just good players, but not particularly special to him. Mane isn't a big fan of RK since he openly criticised his performances and fined him once or twice for being late.

Van Dijk, Pelle, Clasie and Forster have no doubt a special place in his thinking. Of those, Clasie just arrived in the South coast with a young family, Forster just signed a long term contract and feels loyalty to the medical dept for their help in his recovery from ACL, and Van Dijk just signed an even longer (6 year!) contract, after only 1 year of being here.

Oh, and don't be surprised that three of those players are defensive minded :).

Bigger question is how reliable are player contracts in this day and age, and will we see a growing disconnection between contracts and length of commitment (what I mean is, in today's world of moneyball is a long contract just a reflection of price tag rather than the player's intention to stay). So who knows what these new contracts mean, they could go this summer with as quick a turn around as RK had.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Pelle went to EFC. That's my view. Any other would be more or less a surprise to me, or as likely to go to EFC as any other club.

Great question.

So absolutely, Pelle. He had him in Feyenoord then in Saints. If you lose Lukaku, Koeman will see a need for a target man who can link play (not just height in the box, but a player who has a football brain). Hand's down Pelle fits that.

Other than that, he has lots of praise for Clasie, who also played for him in Feyenoord, Virgil van Dijk (who has undoubtedly been one of our best players last season) and Forster, the keeper.

Any other player I could choose, like Long who he's praised a lot (in answer to a fan's question event on his favourite player last season, Koeman's answer was not to dodge the Q, but say Shane Long based on his improvement in the last year - which is true), or Tadic who he signed because of his contact with him in the Dutch league, or even Jose Fonte who Koeman has lauded because of his captaincy and leadership. All those players are just good players, but not particularly special to him. Mane isn't a big fan of RK since he openly criticised his performances and fined him once or twice for being late.

Van Dijk, Pelle, Clasie and Forster have no doubt a special place in his thinking. Of those, Clasie just arrived in the South coast with a young family, Forster just signed a long term contract and feels loyalty to the medical dept for their help in his recovery from ACL, and Van Dijk just signed an even longer (6 year!) contract, after only 1 year of being here.

Oh, and don't be surprised that three of those players are defensive minded :).

Bigger question is how reliable are player contracts in this day and age, and will we see a growing disconnection between contracts and length of commitment (what I mean is, in today's world of moneyball is a long contract just a reflection of price tag rather than the player's intention to stay). So who knows what these new contracts mean, they could go this summer with as quick a turn around as RK had.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Pelle went to EFC. That's my view. Any other would be more or less a surprise to me, or as likely to go to EFC as any other club.

great thanks! some on here had kinda figured Pelle on a short contract that he is was a given, I'd say so as well with our strikers (besides lukaku) very depleted.

Good posts Swiss

Sadly money talks in today's game and loyalty is a rare thing and I can fully understand the majority of your fans frustrations but one thing I am tired of is this backward step most seem to think Koeman is taking

I like Southampton I think most purists do and pre Moshiri I'd have said the move was an odd one myself but with his investment and the plans the club apparently have we will hopefully see some long awaited progress and I can only assume he's been told of such plans and sees us as a good project (along with a big wage mind)

If these plans that have been banded around of late start to come to fruition then I don't think anyone could argue his decision but time will tell on that one but I do hope you find the right man to follow in his footsteps

You should stick around mate it's always good to have others views on here