• Low
    • Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

... £30m for an attacker who averages three goals a season ...

You bet it seems steep.

you have to hope that his impact is more than just goals or assists. Some players have that style of play that unsettles the opponents and gives space to others, we have seen it with Pienaar in the past. I have seen him get numerous man of the match awards without getting on the score sheet or setting up a goal.

Coleman stated bolassie and hazard were the two toughest wingers he's faced. Not bad company.

One thing that's for sure is if one of our players doesn't give it his all then they'll be out of the club. I expect a big clear out during the next 12 months including the likes of Oviedo, McCarthy, Barry, Kone, Cleverley, McGeady. He won't put up with average players.

Which begs the question; why is he signing average players?

It's all a bit "Moneyball" to me.

Smells very similar to Liverpool's philosophy from a few years back when they signed Henderson, Allen and Milner....oh how well that all worked out.

And other "proven" Premier League players like Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam...

How do you?

Average players are on a level in between two extremes.

mcgeady, cleverley, oviedo. Williams is certainly not average so not sure where Mark's assessment came from. Gana we'll have to wait and see.

All three of those are well below-average players.

I can understand the worry, but I have a lot of trust in Koeman and Walsh. I had trust in Roberto for a while too, so I'm no real judge. But they seem to be bringing in defenders who can defend, a midfielder who gets about and is aggressive, and a winger who has lots of pace. I'm all for these kind of players, got to hope they are better as a team than the individuals we are thinking about.

I don't get the negativity. I'm lost for what to say to be honest.

just nay sayers Newts. we will be fine. some of the guys around here melt down the minute messi turns us down and act like we'll now be relegated (when in reality the players we are linked with are exactly what we need and are able to get after being shit for so long). a calm hand steadies the ship, and we've got that in Ron and walsh.

Edited by markjazzbassist

just nay sayers Newts. we will be fine. some of the guys around here melt down the minute messi turns us down and act like we'll now be relegated (when in reality the players we are linked with are exactly what we need and are able to get after being shit for so long). a calm hand steadies the ship, and we've got that in Ron and walsh.

Yeah. I'm trying to avoid saying 'nay sayers' to be honest. But it does concern me the amount of negative feeling around the club from some of our fans. Not just on here but when you read comments in general.

I'm sat thinking we are in a solid position to move on. I'm thinking fans have got what they want (new investor, solid stadium talks, great capture in Walsh, solid manager). But still there is an air of negativity?

And don't give it the old 'I've been a fan for too long'. I've had a decent spell as an Evertonian...at 34 I've always been an Evertonian. What's happening just now beats anything in the past 25 years!

I don't know. Don't want to poke shit at fellow fans but I just dont understand it.

no shit!

What's your benchmark? I think, within our squad, MJB was spot on

If McGeady, Cleverley and Oviedo are average Premier League players then we should have won the league last season, because they're three of the worst players in the Everton squad. For me, McGeady is very near the bottom of Premier League players, Oviedo isn't all that much better than him, and Cleverley isn't much better than Oviedo.

For me, Ashley Williams is an average (to slightly above average) Premier League centre back. A bit better than let's say Ryan Shawcross or our own Phil Jagielka, similar to José Fonte, a bit worse than Scott Dann, but they're all on pretty much the same tier for me. I think of someone like Winston Reid or Dejan Lovren as an above-average centre back, someone like Chris Smalling or Toby Alderweireld as a top Premier League centre back.

To me, we don't have any top Premier League players (Lukaku probably comes closest as a centre forward) and more below-average than above-average players.

If McGeady, Cleverley and Oviedo are average Premier League players then we should have won the league last season, because they're three of the worst players in the Everton squad. For me, McGeady is very near the bottom of Premier League players, Oviedo isn't all that much better than him, and Cleverley isn't much better than Oviedo.

For me, Ashley Williams is an average (to slightly above average) Premier League centre back. A bit better than let's say Ryan Shawcross or our own Phil Jagielka, similar to José Fonte, a bit worse than Scott Dann, but they're all on pretty much the same tier for me. I think of someone like Winston Reid or Dejan Lovren as an above-average centre back, someone like Chris Smalling or Toby Alderweireld as a top Premier League centre back.

To me, we don't have any top Premier League players (Lukaku probably comes closest as a centre forward) and more below-average than above-average players.

Loveren and Smalling?

Yer ok, sound ?