• Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

56 minutes ago, Paddock said:

Sometimes you astound me- he’s still only 20? You used the Roms only 21 and relentlessly scoffed at it.

We really do need that sarcasm font don't we ...

Btw.... we never actually got round to when age stops being "don't forget he's only...."

5 minutes ago, hafnia said:

We really do need that sarcasm font don't we ...

Btw.... we never actually got round to when age stops being "don't forget he's only...."

It’s a relevant thing age imo- by 6 they should be showing certain attributes and they should develop year by year- by the age 20 if he isn’t a natural finisher he never will be. Someone said finishing can be schooled which to a degree is true but only to a point- if it could every club would have their strikers finishing as good as Lukaku Kane, Linaker, Shearer, Owen or Fowler but they don’t- and the reason for that is that the afore mentioned are naturals and that level cannot be coached into player.

DCL will never be at that level as it would already of surfaced by now. He’s a good honest hard working CF who uses his body well, is brave and has a good touch but we are desperate for a goal scorer. I would class DCL as a Giroud type player except nowhere near as good- I don’t think even in 6 years he’ll get to that level but that’s just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Paddock said:

It’s a relevant thing age imo- by 6 they should be showing certain attributes and they should develop year by year- by the age 20 if he isn’t a natural finisher he never will be. Someone said finishing can be schooled which to a degree is true but only to a point- if it could every club would have their strikers finishing as good as Lukaku Kane, Linaker, Shearer, Owen or Fowler but they don’t- and the reason for that is that the afore mentioned are naturals and that level cannot be coached into player.

DCL will never be at that level as it would already of surfaced by now. He’s a good honest hard working CF who uses his body well, is brave and has a good touch but we are desperate for a goal scorer. I would class DCL as a Giroud type player except nowhere near as good- I don’t think even in 6 years he’ll get to that level but that’s just my opinion.

Look at Kane, Ian Wright, Thierry Henry, les Ferdinand, Andy cole...even Stan collymore.

Goalscoring can be learned.  Not all great goalscorers are natural finishers - Greaves, Fowler,  muller spring to mind.

Kane isn't a natural finisher - far from it. He is calculated.

Thierry Henry sums up how he learned to finish:-

You have a lot of strikers that are thinking about how they’re going to score while they’re trying to score (and not before). Most of the times, I used to try to look at the ball and when I’m looking at that ball, I’m trying to see who is moving where and how to make sure I can plan my goal. Sometime it’s instinct. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to lie — sometimes it’s an instinctive finish. But most of the times, you see a lot of strikers in one-on-one situations or when the ball is travelling, losing their way in what they’re trying to do because they’re thinking about it while they are doing it. You need to think about it (visualise the goal) before you do it and obviously having the quality to apply the finishing touch is also something that comes into the equation

14 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Look at Kane, Ian Wright, Thierry Henry, les Ferdinand, Andy cole...even Stan collymore.

Goalscoring can be learned.  Not all great goalscorers are natural finishers - Greaves, Fowler,  muller spring to mind.

Kane isn't a natural finisher - far from it. He is calculated.

Thierry Henry sums up how he learned to finish:-

You have a lot of strikers that are thinking about how they’re going to score while they’re trying to score (and not before). Most of the times, I used to try to look at the ball and when I’m looking at that ball, I’m trying to see who is moving where and how to make sure I can plan my goal. Sometime it’s instinct. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to lie — sometimes it’s an instinctive finish. But most of the times, you see a lot of strikers in one-on-one situations or when the ball is travelling, losing their way in what they’re trying to do because they’re thinking about it while they are doing it. You need to think about it (visualise the goal) before you do it and obviously having the quality to apply the finishing touch is also something that comes into the equation

If it can be taught to a standard of those you mentioned why aren’t there strikers at every club scoring like that? You either have the brain and ability to do it or you dont. 

50 minutes ago, Paddock said:

If it can be taught to a standard of those you mentioned why aren’t there strikers at every club scoring like that? You either have the brain and ability to do it or you dont. 

Not all strikers warrant inclusion based on shitty other areas of their game.  Take Graeme sharp.... he got better at finishing from tuition off Andy Gray but was already playing because he was such a rounded player who fed Adrian heath. 

A rounded striker is a huge asset. DCL is rounded. 

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

Not all strikers warrant inclusion based on shitty other areas of their game.  Take Graeme sharp.... he got better at finishing from tuition off Andy Gray but was already playing because he was such a rounded player who fed Adrian heath. 

A rounded striker is a huge asset. DCL is rounded. 

And he couldn’t score in a brother with a bunch of 50s in his ears

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/09/2017 at 21:00, hafnia said:

I said he's "shaping up" like mike walker.... which to be fair isnt too inaccurate. I didn't say he's the new mike walker.

I have however alluded to the fact that I do believe our board new to start pipelining a new manager... a bit like we needed to pipeline a new striker 18 months ago when superstar made it clear he was off. 

He's not the answer IMO. it doesn't mean get rid now. It means get working on his successor.   Is this not about taking Everton to the next stage?  It may take 2 or 3 managers to get us where moshiri wants us.

Which surprise surprise is what I'm doing with koeman.  I wanted him in... I liked some things but quickly became alerted to many behaviours which I believev from a manager were at best 'divisive'...

From a tactical standpoint he's as erratic as a kid on footy manager trying to fit his new buys in no matter what the scenario.

I see a manager who like his predecessor is fond of certain players and falls out with others.... I see a manager who is hit and miss in the transfer market. I see a manager who fails to see things that do not work.

Quite frankly I expected far more from this bloke. I don't see anything in him that suggests he can take a group of players and make them better as a unit. 

I said it back in September.... we needed to be getting the new manager pipelined in readiness for koeman getting sacked.

Incompetence is rife in the club... absolutely rife. 

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Only now are we beginning to realize just how bad Koeman was this season as manager of Everton. What he's done to the team is nothing short of despicable, and he's cost us an absolute fortune in terms of both cash and reputation.

Plus walking off with probably more than most of us would make in a lifetime for that failure

On 11/27/2017 at 04:45, hafnia said:

I said it back in September.... we needed to be getting the new manager pipelined in readiness for koeman getting sacked.

Incompetence is rife in the club... absolutely rife. 

If clubs have a perpetual shortlist of players, then they should probably have a shortlist of managers at all times given the turnover at that position in this sport currently.

We are fucking amateurs... I would dread to witness the shit that goes on in the corridors of our club.

That lot couldn't organise a piss up in an empty main stand cos they would forget to order the Chang beer in. 

We are one of the top 15 jobs in European football IMO maybe There or there abouts... how the fuck haven't we got a top end manager waiting to go straight in? 

19 hours ago, hafnia said:

We are one of the top 15 jobs in European football IMO maybe There or there abouts... how the fuck haven't we got a top end manager waiting to go straight in? 

I do think 15 is high, however each to his own, for me Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool (unfortunately its true) City, Spurs, Barca, R Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Roma, AC Milan, Napoli, Bayern, Dortmund & PSG are all definitely bigger jobs than ours. You could even argue Valencia, Inter, Porto, Benfica, Ajax, Schalke, Sevilla, Monaco, Lyon and Galatasaray are bigger jobs than ours too. We should be an attractive option to managers, clearly we aren't with our latest appointment

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

i figured that's where he would end up, best place for him to get back on his feet.  if he can revive them he will get big offers.

Agreed - It's not going to be easy though with that current crop of talent. The squad he has to work with will be tough to meet the expectations of the Dutch fans - they are in need of another golden generation.

Hope he does well though - think he's a good manager, but clearly lost the plot and bought a lot of players without a plan while simultaneously losing his top striker and being gifted a horrid first 5 fixtures

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

You see these sorts of contract clauses in baseball all the time, I believe. 

my football team the browns fired their defensive coordinator, he went and got a job elsewhere.  next year the head coach was fired, new coach brought in new coaches.  he brought back the same defensive coordinator.  they didn't have to pay him a salary because they were still paying his salary for another year from the first time around.  no joke.  Ray Horton was the guy's name.