• Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

• 3 months later...

Barca are in a mess, not just on the field but financially. Until they lower their wage bill they will continue to struggle. 

The president and the board are clueless and their is no direction.

They need a charismatic leader with a clear vision of the future and a plan of how to get there.

Koeman will not last a season.

He's an arrogant man, he will tread carefully at Barca but he isn't good enough and is a divisive character.  I give him 6 months tops before he gets the sack. 

Can't believe he's got the job to be honest.   Why didn't they go for Klopp.  That would have been great. 

Managing Barca is easier than most jobs. There's only one rival team in the league and one nuisance so at worse he'll finish third given the players are that much better than the other teams bar those two. 

With hindsight I think we fired the wrong one when it was between him and Walsh. He brought through DCL when most of us couldn't see why he was getting a game over Mirallas or whatever senior player on the wing at the time. 

Looking back he was lumbered with Keane, and Gana both picked by Walsh based on their stats. His only really bad signing was Sigurdssen but that was based on us bringing in a target man like Giroud but we ended up with Rooney instead. Barkley, stones and Lukaku all wanted out before he got here and he ended up with a slow missed matched team that was never gonna work. 

Barca are so fucked up off the pitch. Just as a recent example of how batshit they are - they have an old, ageing squad that needs more younger players and they swapped the 23 year old Arthur for Pjanic who is 30.

Arthur took a little bit of time but he was finally finding his feet and was looking like he could be a very good player for them. The mind boggles.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Barca are so fucked up off the pitch. Just as a recent example of how batshit they are - they have an old, ageing squad that needs more younger players and they swapped the 23 year old Arthur for Pjanic who is 30.

Arthur took a little bit of time but he was finally finding his feet and was looking like he could be a very good player for them. The mind boggles.

Exactly. It used to be the easiest job, it’s probably the hardest now. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It’s all due to money.  They didn’t want to due that deal but by doing it saved millions.  They have been sell to buy for a while now (side note even the big clubs can be sell to buy at times!!) and this was a prime example.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

There is an article out today with quotes from Geri and he basically says that he did nothing for his career / game. I think its safe to say they didn't get on!

it brings up an interesting conversation though.  here in the US there are managers seen as teachers of the game (any sport), that will help young players learn and grow, and there are other types like old school you gotta have your shit together i'm just here to manager not to teach kinda managers.  i'm not excusing Koeman, but maybe teaching simply wasn't his style.  is that ok?  i don't know.  but at barca he won't be expected to teach.  so in a way it's perfect for him in that sense.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

it brings up an interesting conversation though.  here in the US there are managers seen as teachers of the game (any sport), that will help young players learn and grow, and there are other types like old school you gotta have your shit together i'm just here to manager not to teach kinda managers.  i'm not excusing Koeman, but maybe teaching simply wasn't his style.  is that ok?  i don't know.  but at barca he won't be expected to teach.  so in a way it's perfect for him in that sense.

Yeh I get yer. Maybe its a job of the other coaches employed to do that rather than the head coach. I'd definitely say that's the case with some American sports, well NFL as its the only one I really follow, but over here a manager is historically expected to improve the players under their control, especially the young lads coming through. It is shifting away from that though, especially as the hire and fire culture doesn't give managers as much chance to improve players for the long term.

I do just think Koeman was a bit of a twat though fwiw.

59 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Yeh I get yer. Maybe its a job of the other coaches employed to do that rather than the head coach. I'd definitely say that's the case with some American sports, well NFL as its the only one I really follow, but over here a manager is historically expected to improve the players under their control, especially the young lads coming through. It is shifting away from that though, especially as the hire and fire culture doesn't give managers as much chance to improve players for the long term.

I do just think Koeman was a bit of a twat though fwiw.

i do as well, i really liked the guy before he came here, i like him at soton and did want him here.  i was disappointed with his tenure and tactics, by the end just kinda fed up with the guy.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i do as well, i really liked the guy before he came here, i like him at soton and did want him here.  i was disappointed with his tenure and tactics, by the end just kinda fed up with the guy.

Thought he was arrogant. Moshiri wanted that big name to compete with the other big name managers and attract those elite level players. Koeman, in my opinion believed he was the big name also but management wise had never really earned his stripes in this level. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...