• Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

Just now, hafnia said:

We didn't have the same issue last year! Klassen, Rooney, sigurdsen tripping over each other.

We don't even look remotely the same and it's naff all to do with lukaku. 

We had people dicking around and not moving in the final third. It's the same result.

I don't expect you to ever see it, so I'll give up again. I'm impressed I lasted this long before slipping back into Groundhog Day

1 minute ago, Matt said:

We had people dicking around and not moving in the final third. It's the same result.

I don't expect you to ever see it, so I'll give up again. I'm impressed I lasted this long before slipping back into Groundhog Day

Explain the 3 month spell last season with lukaku in the side where we won 2 out of 12 games?

Was that cos we missed Rom too?

20 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It’s like I’ve imagined the chances (they may be few and far between, but they actually were a reality) we’ve blown during games and I’ve thought “Lukaku would’ve buried that”.

We probably thought that in the 2 wins out of 12 last season.....

It's like moaning about not having gravy for a roast dinner when the chicken and spuds are burned to a crisp. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

We probably thought that in the 2 wins out of 12 last season.....

It's like moaning about not having gravy for a roast dinner when the chicken and spuds are burned to a crisp. 

You normally do do a good analogy Haf but to be honest that's probably your worst:huh:.

40 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Many would probably see it as a stroke of genius with the benefit of hindsight. Sometimes you’ve got to be ruthless and on that occasion it worked out far beyond what most Southampton fans could have imagined.

Yes but regardless.... it was completely unjust.

5 hours ago, hafnia said:

We didn't have the same issue last year! Klassen, Rooney, sigurdsen tripping over each other.

We don't even look remotely the same and it's naff all to do with lukaku. 

This is absolutely the case - and you could add Schneiderlin and Gueye to the list. Remember when Barry, McCarthy, and Barkley were among the toughest, efficient, and creative midfield in the league? Games are won and lost in midfield, and ours has been totally screwed up this season.

50 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

This is absolutely the case - and you could add Schneiderlin and Gueye to the list. Remember when Barry, McCarthy, and Barkley were among the toughest, efficient, and creative midfield in the league? Games are won and lost in midfield, and ours has been totally screwed up this season.

Koeman owes the fans an apology for letting him go. Fucking rediculous how much of a job he done in midfield. They've looked lost without him. 

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It’s like I’ve imagined the chances (they may be few and far between, but they actually were a reality) we’ve blown during games and I’ve thought “Lukaku would’ve buried that”.

Just doing a direct comparison between Calvert-Lewin and Lukaku, DCL actually averages more chances in the box per 90 mins this season than Lukaku did last season (arguably you can throw the lack of service argument for this season out the window with that stat). If he was operating at Lukaku's shot conversion rate from last season he would already have 4 goals this season for instance (57% increase in our team's total goals). 

That's also ignoring the amount of time Sandro and Rooney have played up front and looked shite, so there's been even more lost opportunities to score when compared to what Lukaku would've likely brought to the team this season.

But, no, Lukaku would've made no difference to this team.

5 minutes ago, Vranny said:

Just doing a direct comparison between Calvert-Lewin and Lukaku, DCL actually averages more chances in the box per 90 mins this season than Lukaku did last season (arguably you can throw the lack of service argument for this season out the window with that stat). If he was operating at Lukaku's shot conversion rate from last season he would already have 4 goals this season for instance (57% increase in our team's total goals). 

That's also ignoring the amount of time Sandro and Rooney have played up front and looked shite, so there's been even more lost opportunities to score when compared to what Lukaku would've likely brought to the team this season.

This time last season Lukaku had 7 goals / 3 assists in the league. His goal tally then is our team's tally now.

We have been pantsed totally by some teams where it wouldn't have made a difference, but he would have made a difference in our recent closer league games and in Europa I'm sure. Granted there are also many other reasons why we are horrible, but his quality is obvious.

6 hours ago, Vranny said:

Post the data source for this. Interested to understand more about this one...

4 minutes ago, c1982 said:

DCL has 0 goals from 20 shots in the league. Lukaku has 7 goals from 34 shots. I like DCL a lot but not replacing Lukaku has cost us (and Koeman) dearly.

Hopefully, Unsworth will find a different way to play and we’ll find goals easier to come by or at least stop leaking so many.

But you do then lose the other qualities that DCL brings that Lukaku doesn't.  In some games he has been the only reason we have moved up the pitch. 

I think we maybe would have scored a couple more with Lukaku but it would be more likely to be against Stoke/Bournemouth/Burnley than in one of the games we got twatted in. Maybe a difference of 2 points. 

He would have probably scored more in Europe.

7 hours ago, Vranny said:

Between you and Tonka, I'm set to hang myself.

7 hours ago, hafnia said:

Post the data source for this. Interested to understand more about this one...

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2016/2017/romelu_lukaku/641/641/897/34/p|premier_league/2017/2018/dominic_calvert-lewin/819/819/22275/0/p#goals_-_inside_area/shots_inside_area#90

That Squawka comparison matrix tool is excellent if you're a stat head like myself.

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Between you and Tonka, I'm set to hang myself.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Vranny said:

Great tool that.

Just had a look at it.... very interesting.

DCL tops lukaku in practically every other area aside goalscoring for this season vs last season and this season vs this season.

Significantly better at aerial duels, passing, and he gets fouled like no one's business.   Rom beats him in successful take ons and goals 

DCL has the makings of a very good player in my book. 

I think the run rate of 8 games with no goals is harsh on his ratio.... if he just got one it would look vastly different. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Great tool that.

Just had a look at it.... very interesting.

DCL tops lukaku in practically every other area aside goalscoring for this season vs last season and this season vs this season.

Significantly better at aerial duels, passing, and he gets fouled like no one's business.   Rom beats him in successful take ons and goals 

I think the run rate of 8 games with no goals is harsh on his ratio.... if he just got one it would look vastly different. 

OK:huh:.

17 minutes ago, seve said:

If you asked every manager in the football do you want dcl or big rom you would get a 100% reply

Only 2 facts matter in football ,  it entertains me , and if we are lucky we win.

Stats are tools by sky and Americans to fill up a show, football speaks for its self, no stats required.  imo

i had a laugh reading that, it was funny but also because it's true.  we love our stats.

22 minutes ago, seve said:

If you asked every manager in the football do you want dcl or big rom you would get a 100% reply

Only 2 facts matter in football ,  it entertains me , and if we are lucky we win.

Stats are tools by sky and Americans to fill up a show, football speaks for its self, no stats required.  imo

I've already said I'd have lukaku ahead of him in a different series of posts.... 

I've also said that as a footballer DCL is better than Rom..  he needs to develop his finishing. 

In many ways DCL is better than Rom but Rom gets in for his finishing..

Still..... Im not sure how a £90m footballer feels knowing that a kid of 20 costing £1.5m with just 19 first team appearances to his name already has a better touch, aerial prescence, hold up  play and ability to pass a ball than him.... best keeping that pie in the fridge to be honest. 

Only early days for the kid. 

6 hours ago, hafnia said:

If the lad could finish I’d honestly be more excited about DCL at the moment than I was with Rom after his first season with us. Finishing ability is arguably the most important skill for a striker to have though, so we’ll have to just wait and see how develops in that area. 

11 hours ago, hafnia said:

Still..... Im not sure how a £90m footballer feels knowing that a kid of 20 costing £1.5m with just 19 first team appearances to his name already has a better touch, aerial prescence, hold up  play and ability to pass a ball than him.... best keeping that pie in the fridge to be honest. 

:rofl: oh the irony. 

14 hours ago, hafnia said:

I'm sure knowing he's good enough to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world makes him feel just fine to be honest.