IGNORED

Memphis Depay

Not going to happen. Bigger clubs with fatter wallets are after him. Most notably ManU.

Perhaps, but we got Lukaku ( same age, same potential ) we keep Barkley and stones and were making a real statement that if you're young and good, we will play and develop you.

On the field, off, both? I hadn't heard this - not that I'd looked into it - what's the basis for your conclusion?

There were family issues in his youth (which is why he now plays with Memphis on his shirt rather than his last name) and he had a reputation for having trouble with authority as a teen. Threatened to quit football and such because he had trouble with critical youth coaches.

PSV are incredibly happy with his attitude now though. Here's a long piece on him in the leading football magazine in Holland which says that the former problem child has been an exemplary professional for over two years now and has basically transformed into the perfect son-in-law. Confident, not arrogant. And that he has an incredible drive to be decisive.

• 2 weeks later...

Potential - Incredible.

Attitude - Terrible.

The potential is all that matters. If the attitude was indeed as bad as you claim, there is no way we would ever be in for him. Same reason we never moved on Ben Arfa. Loads of talent, but a downright lazy son of a gun with the attitude of a mean old Frenchman.

RM and the Everton mentality can resolve attitude issues in my opinion, but not with a hothead like Balotelli. There's no saving him...

The potential is all that matters. If the attitude was indeed as bad as you claim, there is no way we would ever be in for him. Same reason we never moved on Ben Arfa. Loads of talent, but a downright lazy son of a gun with the attitude of a mean old Frenchman.

RM and the Everton mentality can resolve attitude issues in my opinion, but not with a hothead like Balotelli. There's no saving him...

Attitude matters massively. Someone coming in upsetting the harmony of the squad can cause unrest in a dressing room and lead to disaster.

Maybe Timmy will sort him out, after all he's superman in some quarters.

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched this kid for a while now and he would be my number one target for January or the summer. He is going to be a top quality player, he has pace, vision, skill, superb delivery and helps out with goals. If anyone watched PSV v Feyenoord game last night would have witnessed him at his best. I think he would be the ideal replacement for Pienaar down that left moving Mirallas back to the right but he will command a high fee i think in the region of £15m upwards. I would love us to go big and spend that on him he would be a gem of a player and only getting better, if we are talking potential with Lukaku then this kid is another "diamond" we could do with.

Think we are lacking in the wide areas and screaming out for someone with a bit of guile and pace, Mcgeady isnt going to be the answer, Pienaar is on the decline and for me as much as I like Oviedo he isnt going to be the top class player we need to push on. Mephis Depay would send out a serious message that we mean business and he would give our attacking play another dimension.

In January I would like to see us bring in 3 players (unlikely) but these are the areas IMO i think we need to get in Jan or summer:

1 - Memphis Depay (LW)

2 - Kasper Schmeichel (GK)

3 - Simon Kjaer (CB)

There are a few contracts running out aswell, Schaar looks a quality young defender like Stones but think he will go to a "big" club, Delph would add some energy i think we lack, Reid is a quality centre half (replacement for Distin).

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...