IGNORED

Anton Donkor

Romey 1878

Yep, which is why I'm not really treating it as a proper signing. He'll be hoping to impress with the U23s to earn a permanent move here in the summer when he can hopefully break into the first-team.

It was said we'd be busy this window making signings for the U23s and it looks like being true.

Yawn

why? - is he not good enough? will he turn out to be useless or will he be a mustafi or dier - two players worth over £25m now who spent time in our youth/reserve set up without getting a shot?

The answer is you don't know. None of us do - but we have people employed at the club who seem to have their finger on the pulse so that will do for me.

Personally I'm quite pleased by this - intricate, no risk, and he is playing for a national side at a youth level which has produced some awesome footballers of recent.

At the very least he will be raising the quality of player at youth level which pushes the other players on.

Edited by Hafnia

I wonder if your reaction would be different if it was a young Swedish player we'd done this with? :P

No, because it wasnt about the player.

why? - is he not good enough? will he turn out to be useless or will he be a mustafi or dier - two players worth over £25m now who spent time in our youth/reserve set up without getting a shot?

The answer is you don't know. None of us do - but we have people employed at the club who seem to have their finger on the pulse so that will do for me.

Personally I'm quite pleased by this - intricate, no risk, and he is playing for a national side at a youth level which has produced some awesome footballers of recent.

At the very least he will be raising the quality of player at youth level which pushes the other players on.

No I dont know and it wasnt a reflection on the player

Supporting a club is more than supporting its first team

Thank you Aaron, I will take this into account and change my support of this club accordingly.

Im yawning because its a season long loan to our reserves and im waiting for more signings for our first team. Its just a reflection on this transfer window, not a reflection on this player or his chances of breaking into our first team.

Sorry if I was unclear on that.

Thank you Aaron, I will take this into account and change my support of this club accordingly.

Im yawning because its a season long loan to our reserves and im waiting for more signings for our first team. Its just a reflection on this transfer window, not a reflection on this player or his chances of breaking into our first team.

I think this window has been brilliant so far for a January one. Schneiderlin & Lookman in. Some deadwood out.... looking forward to seeing what else we can do.

I think this window has been brilliant so far for a January one. Schneiderlin & Lookman in. Some deadwood out.... looking forward to seeing what else we can do.

And its the "what else we can do" that im looking forward to. I think that its been a good window so far but i recognise the need for more signings

Brilliant!

I'm with you steve, it's a great concept similar to Chelsea stockpiling young talent. seems we are just starting to fill the pond so to speak.

I think the club philosophy must be to buy younger players to develop. Now we have Walsh and Morishi's money we can target and buy those players. Add to that Unsworth's talent in managing the U23's and you have a good chance of producing talent at a cheaper cost.

I think the club philosophy must be to buy younger players to develop. Now we have Walsh and Morishi's money we can target and buy those players. Add to that Unsworth's talent in managing the U23's and you have a good chance of producing talent at a cheaper cost.

In the long term it makes senses. Clubs can't continue to spend astronomical sums on transfers, it's just not financially viable.

great points. easier to buy 5 10m players and hope 2 come good than 1 50m or 2 25m players. plus the sell on of the youngsters (just like Chelsea) you can recoup close to the price you paid even if they don't come good because they are still young and teams will take a chance on them.

Edited by markjazzbassist