IGNORED

Kieran Trippier

2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Will not be happening at all. We are at a different model now. Brands will be buying young players in affordable wages. 

I still don’t get why anyone would think that would be every signing? 

We will still buy experienced players. They are less risk and less time until they are capable of having an impact. Of course he will buy up and coming talent, but first team ready players are a must too. 

15 hours ago, StevO said:

I still don’t get why anyone would think that would be every signing? 

We will still buy experienced players. They are less risk and less time until they are capable of having an impact. Of course he will buy up and coming talent, but first team ready players are a must too. 

agree totally i think the point Finn is making is we already have that player in Coleman, why by another at the same position?  Now if we only had kenny and needed another more experienced mentor at this position sure Trippier would make sense, but coleman is locked in for like 5 more years, no need for Trippier.  Get the young guy and have coleman mentor him.

55 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

agree totally i think the point Finn is making is we already have that player in Coleman, why by another at the same position?  Now if we only had kenny and needed another more experienced mentor at this position sure Trippier would make sense, but coleman is locked in for like 5 more years, no need for Trippier.  Get the young guy and have coleman mentor him.

Trippier is 2 years younger, has CL experience (I assume) and hasn’t had a major leg break which will impact him as much as he gets older. Coleman’s contract is until June 2022, so only 3 years not 5.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Trippier is 2 years younger, has CL experience (I assume) and hasn’t had a major leg break which will impact him as much as he gets older. Coleman’s contract is until June 2022, so only 3 years not 5.

I want Coleman a guy who knows everton and a captain mentoring Kenny/New Guy and being the locker room guy.  Tripper is an unknown and not an evertonian or captain.  i see literally no value in bringing trippier here. 

23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I want Coleman a guy who knows everton and a captain mentoring Kenny/New Guy and being the locker room guy.  Tripper is an unknown and not an evertonian or captain.  i see literally no value in bringing trippier here. 

Absolutely agree, but they are few and far between. I’m not desperate for him to come but I see the advantages; experience, good player, can fill a gap whilst Kenny goes on loan and gains experience 

• 2 months later...

I don't think he fits the Brands model. He'll be 29 in September, and I don't think he's better than Coleman on his day. I'd rather bring in a younger replacement. In a couple of years we'd have to replace both, and I imagine he'd be on decent wages and even harder to get rid of then.

This wouldn't excite me at all.

23 minutes ago, sibdane said:

I don't think he fits the Brands model. He'll be 29 in September, and I don't think he's better than Coleman on his day. I'd rather bring in a younger replacement. In a couple of years we'd have to replace both, and I imagine he'd be on decent wages and even harder to get rid of then.

This wouldn't excite me at all.

I disagree. He’s been a big part in Spurs’ rise, has CL experience and while Coleman’s form since his injury has been improving, he’s not the same Seamus. 

All depends on the price for me, but he could be a good stopgap for 2-3 years. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

I disagree. He’s been a big part in Spurs’ rise, has CL experience and while Coleman’s form since his injury has been improving, he’s not the same Seamus. 

All depends on the price for me, but he could be a good stopgap for 2-3 years. 

Agree to disagree then. I don't think he's better nor do I see him displacing Coleman here. We simply can't offer the two of them enough games to make both of them happy anyway.

3 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Agree to disagree then. I don't think he's better nor do I see him displacing Coleman here. We simply can't offer the two of them enough games to make both of them happy anyway.

True, but that means they push each other which is only good for the club. Seamus has 3 years in him, max I reckon, so maybe a RB isn’t essential but, again, depending on the price, I’d like a player like Trippier to give him a run for his money for those 3 years.

I’d prefer a young right back to come in and put pressure on Coleman... are Kenny or Holgate up to it? I’m not sure. Wan Bassaka is class but being touted at £50m+, I like Aarons at Norwich, James at Chelsea and Bogle at Derby are getting a lot of praise - there’s plenty out there - upgrades on Holgate/Kenny? Good enough to take Coleman on for his spot? I don’t know.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
2 minutes ago, c1982 said:

This will split opinion as many will be transfixed on his age/short term fix. Yes, it would be another short term fix - I expect it can only be a loan - possibly with an option but he’ll come here as our strongest full-back by far and the fact that he can cover left back is a bonus.

Positives for me are:

- he improves us

- another right-foot set-piece option

- allows Dixon to go out on-loan or develop in the u21s rather than being thrown in

- allows Paterson time to get fully fit rather than rush back in - maybe even allows us to sell/loan him out as, let’s be honest, it hasn’t exactly worked out so far

- Dyche has a great relationship with him so no more Young at right back

This short term option works for me.

I’d imagine we can only look for loans at this point in the window so I can’t imagine there are many better options out there given that we need someone we know can step in and start right away