IGNORED

At what point do we say we are in a relegation dogfight?

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

So if we were 10 points adrift on Christmas Day we still wouldn’t be in a relegation battle because there were still 57 points to play for ????

Not sure we were ever... ever ... anywhere near that situation?

Not sure where your going wth this, or what your poi t is mate? 

To add, your still talking about time in the future and not when the thread started.

Not sure we were ever... ever ... anywhere near that situation?
Not sure where your going wth this, or what your poi t is mate? 
To add, your still talking about time in the future and not when the thread started.

It’s a genuine question, if people are saying we are not nor have been in a relegation scrap because we have x points to play for At what point does it become a relegation fight?

Just trying to understand where people are coming from on this

59 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It’s a genuine question, if people are saying we are not nor have been in a relegation scrap because we have x points to play for At what point does it become a relegation fight?

Sorry, I see where your going now.

My own thoughts, are it’s after the transfer window. This is the squad you are going to have to live with until the end of the season. If your closer to the top than the bottom, then Realistically the teams below will have to go in a champions league run to catch you. This makes you safe.

If your within a few losses and the teams below can catch you with a few wins.... then your in danger of being dragged in. That’s a relegation battle for me.

At what point is it no longer a relegation fight?

I maintain my original stance; after the January transfer window. 

The facts are and were saying we aren’t / werent. Emotions on the other hand tell and told a different story, understandably. 

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It becomes a relegation fight when we are ten points behind with only twelve points to play for, that's the way I see it. And up until that time I would still believe we won't go down.

In the scenario you were stating there was still more than fifty points to play for.

It’s a relegation fight when you are in constant danflger of falling the bottom 3 with a couple of bad results plain and simple. Swansea will be in one all season, others will get sucked in in March or even later but if you are in and around that bottom 3 you are in a relegation foght. Some teams just have longer fights than others .

1 hour ago, Paddock said:

It’s a relegation fight when you are in constant danflger of falling the bottom 3 with a couple of bad results plain and simple. Swansea will be in one all season, others will get sucked in in March or even later but if you are in and around that bottom 3 you are in a relegation foght. Some teams just have longer fights than others .

Did we just have a quick scrap and move on then?!

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

Did we just have a quick scrap and move on then?!

No- we were in one and now we seem to be sorting outselves out but we are by no means out the woods. Some teams stay there all season others sort themselves out sooner some fall later but if you are in or around the trap door you’re in a relegation fight.

14 hours ago, Matt said:

I’m not at all, I’m quite serious. Our form would’ve lead to relegation but that was always a temporary thing and there were 80 something points to play for when this discussion first started. Never doubted we’d get back on track, simple as that. 

Maybe my early memories of Mike Walker and Walter Smith have hardened me up to be more positive :P

Matt young man,  Walter Smith, Mike Walker?  you have had it easy.  :lol:  I remember the bad days as I was one of the few who turned up on cold wet days and found more fans at youth team games than at first team games,  I also remember queuing up in a queue that went twice the length of Bullens road and up past the school .... about two hours before the kick off !!!  So maybe I am being too pedantic.  ;) 

1 hour ago, Paddock said:

No- we were in one and now we seem to be sorting outselves out but we are by no means out the woods. Some teams stay there all season others sort themselves out sooner some fall later but if you are in or around the trap door you’re in a relegation fight.

Am I allowed to bring my head out of the sand yet, or should it stay burried until further notice?!

Ffs. Anyone who couldn't see that without some form of drastic correction that we were relegation candidates needs their heads testing.

We were an absolute shambles and I had seen better organised teams get relegated. 

The side was a complete and utter mess. 

Fortunately we are seemingly going to be ok but let's just say I would have snapped anyone' hand off for offering 16th place a few weeks ago. 

3 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Ffs. Anyone who couldn't see that without some form of drastic correction that we were relegation candidates needs their heads testing.

We were an absolute shambles and I had seen better organised teams get relegated. 

Fortunately we are seemingly going to be ok but let's just say I would have snapped anyone' hand off for offering 16th place a few weeks ago. 

Why 'ffs'?

Why so frustrated because people look at it differently?!

Those who didn't jump up and say we were fucked have given plenty of reason why, at that particular moment in time, they felt that way. And have also said that, without doubt, IF it had carried on (or goes back that way), we were, or would be, in trouble and facing a real struggle.

It's just an opinion. We are talking about our own opinions on what was,or is, a speculative subject. Our own views on when a relegation fight really starts. There is no right or wrong when it is an opinion of your own based on very little fact.

No one needs their head testing...other than those who cannot accept others opinions.

Newty you show a clear head. 

Haf I don’t see anything drastic has happened to be honest. Unsworth started to get us on track, then Sam came along and continued it. 

Some of us thought that our poor form was temporary. It doesn’t mean that we were right because we’re picking up points. But if we suddenly lose a couple on the bounce.... it doesn’t make us wrong.

Like Newty pointed out... its all just opinion.... it can’t be right or wrong. It just is!

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

Newty you show a clear head. 

Haf I don’t see anything drastic has happened to be honest. Unsworth started to get us on track, then Sam came along and continued it. 

Some of us thought that our poor form was temporary. It doesn’t mean that we were right because we’re picking up points. But if we suddenly lose a couple on the bounce.... it doesn’t make us wrong.

Like Newty pointed out... its all just opinion.... it can’t be right or wrong. It just is!

this

It becomes a relegation fight when we are ten points behind with only twelve points to play for, that's the way I see it. And up until that time I would still believe we won't go down.
In the scenario you were stating there was still more than fifty points to play for.

So potentially a relegation battle is just the one game?

Never felt we were relegation candidates it was far too early in the season to be taking in those terms when the thread was launched, we have a better squad of players than at least 10-12 of the teams in the league with a much better chance of improving it in January than most teams. Where was the problem I find hard to understand that every team starts the season off in a relegation fight till they've hit 40 points, I bet you don't get City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and the Shites fans worrying about a relegation fight till they have hit 40 points Mark.

19 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

So potentially a relegation battle is just the one game?

If that's all it takes to get out of the bottom three, then yes one game could do it.

At the start of this thread I told everybody on here that we wouldn't be relegated, if it was to go down to the last game I would still believe that.

If that's all it takes to get out of the bottom three, then yes one game could do it.

At the start of this thread I told everybody on here that we wouldn't be relegated, if it was to go down to the last game I would still believe that.

You have just said it’s not a relegation fight until we are 10 points behind with only 12 to play for , if we lose one game in that scenario then it’s not a relegation fight it’s relegation

This is what I am struggling to understand , so if we stay up does that mean we were never in a relegation fight?

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

I think this post sums it up in some ways. Some people seemed to think that the shite we were serving up was going to last until the end of the season and therefore we were in a relegation battle.

Others thought it would turn around for one reason or another and therefore we would be out of the crap long before it became an issue. 

Some people are doom and gloom merchants, some live in a fantasy world but the majority of us sit somewhere in the middle.

Now please can we find something else meaningless to argue about!