IGNORED

At what point do we say we are in a relegation dogfight?

i saw a holgate williams partnership that was a guaranteed clean sheet, we haven't seen them since.

I’m guessing that you are blissfully unaware that Holgate only started one league game under Unsy , and that was forced on him due to injuries . He has been pretty much an ever present under Allardyce

21 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I’m guessing that you are blissfully unaware that Holgate only started one league game under Unsy , and that was forced on him due to injuries . He has been pretty much an ever present under Allardyce

yep and what was the result of that match?  and subsequent matches with that exact same lineup?  

4 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Holgate was injured though for a lot of Unsy's time. I do think it was forced but it did work. I'm not sure why Allardyce is changing it?

19 hours ago, Paddock said:

They will because Unsworth managed for far less games.

19 hours ago, Paddock said:

We weren’t really scoring many before that Nogs and were conceding at an alarming rate. Granted we just got bummed by Spurs but so will a lot of sides this season.

Are you not reading the posts with statistics? Unsworth earned more points per game than either Koeman or Allardyce. The number of games is irrelevant since that stat is per game. Unsworth's teams scored, on average, twice as many goals per game as either Koeman or Allardyce, so I don't see how you can claim "we weren't scoring many before that". Indeed, Everton scored more goals in the 5 games managed by Unsworth than in the 9 games so far managed by Allardyce. Facts can be stubborn things.

Are you not reading the posts with statistics? Unsworth earned more points per game than either Koeman or Allardyce. The number of games is irrelevant since that stat is per game. Unsworth's teams scored, on average, twice as many goals per game as either Koeman or Allardyce, so I don't see how you can claim "we weren't scoring many before that". Indeed, Everton scored more goals in the 5 games managed by Unsworth than in the 9 games so far managed by Allardyce. Facts can be stubborn things.

What a load of rubbish of course the number of games are relevant

Going on your logic we should have brought Triaore back because he had a better goals per game ratio in the Premiership than Harry Kane

It is also relevant who the opposition were in those games, of the 5 league games he was in charge of we played an out of sorts Watford and 4 teams struggling near the foot of the table

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

You’re talking out your arse again Steve- so if Unsworth managed for 1 game and won it and Allerdyce managed for 8 and won 5 lost 2 and drew 1 Unsworth would have better points per game ratio.

Any manger who manages for 5 or so games will have a better ratio if he wins a few of them than a manager who is managing for 20 or more.

3 hours ago, Paddock said:

You’re talking out your arse again Steve- so if Unsworth managed for 1 game and won it and Allerdyce managed for 8 and won 5 lost 2 and drew 1 Unsworth would have better points per game ratio.

Any manger who manages for 5 or so games will have a better ratio if he wins a few of them than a manager who is managing for 20 or more.

Trust me: I wish we had a larger sample size for Unsworth.

I would suggest that we played better in the game against West Ham than we have in any other this season.

7 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Trust me: I wish we had a larger sample size for Unsworth.

I would suggest that we played better in the game against West Ham than we have in any other this season.

But you don’t so to stack up the figures like that is grossly unfair and basically just suits your agenda.

Guys it’s just talking facts that’s all. Doesnt mean  Unsworth would have done any better... and at the same time, it doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have.

We simply will never know! 

One thing I can say.... I enjoyed watching us a damn site more under him than I do now. I pray this ridiculous football gets better and we can start being positive again.

7 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

What a load of rubbish of course the number of games are relevant

Going on your logic we should have brought Triaore back because he had a better goals per game ratio in the Premiership than Harry Kane

It is also relevant who the opposition were in those games, of the 5 league games he was in charge of we played an out of sorts Watford and 4 teams struggling near the foot of the table

5 hours ago, Paddock said:

5 games is roughly a seventh of the season so it isn'tt a completely unreasonable sample. Managers have been sacked for less games in charge and It's not like Allardyces sample is much bigger!

In general terms though how much easier have Unsy's games been? Leicester had just changed manager and have played well since, Palace are one of the form teams in the league, Watford are capable of beating and losing to anyone and West Ham had also just changed managers and have done really well since we stuffed them. Southampton are and were shite.

Allardyce has played easy games in Huddersfield, Newcastle, Bournemouth and Swansea. WBA changed manager but they aren't any better. That is however balanced against an on fire Liverpool, and hot and cold Chelsea, Spurs and Utd. 

Unsworth probably had it slightly easier but he also had to compete with playing EL sides midweek and the league cup games against Chelsea. The games have been as demanding for Allardyce but both of them are dealing with the effects of fatigue on players that have been on the go since July.

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

If we keep playing like we have been, we will get sucked into it just as the real fight begins. We don't want to be on a downward spiral as the fight begins!

From somewhere we need to conjure up three wins, those nine points and a couple of draws will see us safe. Unfortunately I don't see three teams worse than us currently; there are many clubs with inferior players but no teams with inferior teamwork and leadership. I'm truly nervous we could be sucked in.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

From somewhere we need to conjure up three wins, those nine points and a couple of draws will see us safe. Unfortunately I don't see three teams worse than us currently; there are many clubs with inferior players but no teams with inferior teamwork and leadership. I'm truly nervous we could be sucked in.

Yep. My nerves are a bit wobbly too.

I still think we'll be ok, but we may end up fondling the relegation fodder of this continues.....before pulling away again!

11 hours ago, MikeO said:

The next 2 games for me define if we are or not. 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

If we don't get absolutely torn to shreds by Leicester I'll be very surprised.

And I’m fully anticipating that. But, I said I’d give until the end of the window which is the next game. Throwing in a bonus one for shits and giggles. 

I can see us struggling to the 40 mark, then at the end of the season when we achieve it the players start to get some form back because they know they're safe and can play with less pressure. 

Then Sam will probably keep his job after the Summer.

Probably end up signing a 12 year deal and win us the champions league within his first two seasons.

But you know, I'm trying to be a optimist.