IGNORED

At what point do we say we are in a relegation dogfight?

11 hours ago, Newty82 said:

8 points off the bottom 3 now.

BUT....only 9 points off 4th.

What we thinking?

Exactly. 

Plus, look at the form of some of the clubs below us - For reference, we're LWWDW in the last 5

Southampton: WLDDL

Huddersfield: LLLWL

Brighton: LDLLL

Bournemouth: DLDDL

Stoke: LLWLL

Newcastle: LDLLL

WBA: DDDLA

You can look at Watford too, 1 place above us who's last 5 games have been WLDLL...

Now that we're not in managerial limbo, the squad has been stabilised. I'll have to give credit to Sam the same way Koeman deserved credit for initially going back to basics to stop the rot and build from there. The only way is up, and it always was once the board clarified the managerial issue. Hopefully these utterly boring yet effective performances are only for the short-term and Sam will start playing something exciting as well as successful. I'm order special cutlery for my massive slab of humble pie.

Honestly wondering how long it will take some fans to start complaining "yeah, ok we're winning but it's shit to watch. This isn'ttt good enough!" :lol: 

10 hours ago, hafnia said:

Let's not get carried away. We have beaten a shite newcastle team, scraped a draw vs liverpool and won 2 winnable games - just about.

We are closer to being a shit team than a good team - unfortunately. 

I'd say those who had us down as relegation fodder got carried away and spoke to soon.

Now it feels like every time we pick up points it's because the other team were shit, we were lucky etc, just to suit the argument. This is one of those debates where the goal posts will keep moving.

It's by no means perfect but, yeah, let's wait and see.

39 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

I'd say those who had us down as relegation fodder got carried away and spoke to soon.

Now it feels like every time we pick up points it's because the other team were shit, we were lucky etc, just to suit the argument. This is one of those debates where the goal posts will keep moving.

It's by no means perfect but, yeah, let's wait and see.

Let's be honest.   Last night Newcastle were very unlucky.  Weve had a bit of luck - long overdue but needed. 

We simply don' have players good enough to get us where we thought we would be. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Exactly. 

Plus, look at the form of some of the clubs below us - For reference, we're LWWDW in the last 5

Southampton: WLDDL

Huddersfield: LLLWL

Brighton: LDLLL

Bournemouth: DLDDL

Stoke: LLWLL

Newcastle: LDLLL

WBA: DDDLA

You can look at Watford too, 1 place above us who's last 5 games have been WLDLL...

Now that we're not in managerial limbo, the squad has been stabilised. I'll have to give credit to Sam the same way Koeman deserved credit for initially going back to basics to stop the rot and build from there. The only way is up, and it always was once the board clarified the managerial issue. Hopefully these utterly boring yet effective performances are only for the short-term and Sam will start playing something exciting as well as successful. I'm order special cutlery for my massive slab of humble pie.

Honestly wondering how long it will take some fans to start complaining "yeah, ok we're winning but it's shit to watch. This isn'tttt good enough!" :lol: 

expecting it to be you matt.  

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

Let's be honest.   Last night Newcastle were very unlucky.  Weve had a bit of luck - long overdue but needed. 

We simply don' have players good enough to get us where we thought we would be. 

I only thought we'd be 7th this season but pushing harder on the heels of 6th.

I still think we can get 7th but the poor start has made it a lot harder and we most probably won't be close to 6th.

Our squad is good enough for 7th. But not good enough to push top 4.

If you look back through this thread and it won't take long all the relegation doom mongers with in a very short space of time are now singing a different tune, now it's how shit and lucky we are, honestly I don't believe some will be happy until we get relegated and they can say I told you so.

If you look back through this thread and it won't take long all the relegation doom mongers with in a very short space of time are now singing a different tune, now it's how shit and lucky we are, honestly I don't believe some will be happy until we get relegated and they can say I told you so.

Realising we are shite and in a relegation scrap does not make anyone a doom monger

We’ve beaten two equally bad sides then managed to somehow get 2 points from the last 2 games in which in all honesty we’ve not deserved
We’ve tightened up at the back and the signs are there that we are turning a corner but it’s far too early to say we are safe or that we can challenge for top 6

I honestly still believe that if we don’t have a good January transfer window we can still easily be sucked straight back into the mire

I don't think we're in a relegation scrap because I think the Prem is full of very poor teams this year. Swansea, Palace, West Ham, West Brom, Stoke, Newcastle... pick any three from those 6 for me, then there's always the risk the promoted teams Brighton and Huddersfield will get dragged in, Bournemouth aren't great and neither are Southampton despite stuffing us. 

It might not be pretty but I can't see our results deteriorating again to the point where we risk slipping below all of them. 

16 hours ago, nogs said:

I don't think we're in a relegation scrap because I think the Prem is full of very poor teams this year. Swansea, Palace, West Ham, West Brom, Stoke, Newcastle... pick any three from those 6 for me, then there's always the risk the promoted teams Brighton and Huddersfield will get dragged in, Bournemouth aren't great and neither are Southampton despite stuffing us. 

It might not be pretty but I can't see our results deteriorating again to the point where we risk slipping below all of them. 

Exactly. Like last season you can have a crap season but finish in the top half.

Once we had stability we were always going to pick up and some of the teams that unexpectedly started well were likely to fade.