IGNORED

At what point do we say we are contenders for a European spot?

Palfy

Now that the supposed threat of relegation has disappeared could we do the same as last season and finish 7th and secure a European spot, imo I would say yes we need to rein Burnley in who are obviously batting a little above their station, in part to our start to the season but we are turning it round and I believe only one point behind where we were this time last season.

IMO we were never in a relegation battle. Always going to take a bit of time with so many new players coming in. Of course we are contenders for Europa, but I don’t think we’ll make it this year. I don’t tend to read to much into the league until after Christmas. I think we’ll catch Leicester and Burnley but none of the others. 

Burnley not only have a difficult schedule coming up but they've lost the heart of their effective defence through injury and suspension. Much as I admire what they've achieved this season, normal service will soon be resumed. Unfortunately, I still don't believe we'll catch them this season. With our current style of play, my money would be on Everton finishing around 9th.

7th isn'ttt always Europe is it? Depends on cup winners and all that stuff.
I think we'll struggle for 6th this season, so if 6th is the Europa place then I'm not sure we can do enough to get in the race.
7th, on the other hand, is doable, so.....

It’s the top 5 and the 2 cup winners, so no 7th isn’t always enough

It looks like the Carboa Cup place will go to a top 5 side so we are looking at top 6 and FA Cuo winners

If the current top 8 all get banned from Europe before the start of next season we may well be in with a chance

Chelsea will be a good test of how far we have come in the last five weeks, I fancy a draw if we can walk away from this game without a mauling and maybe a point, with the one against Liverpool theses players will start to believe in the team and we will rise to 7th, and possibly even 6th maybe in our reach before the end of season.

20 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

The last thing we need right now is the distraction of playing in qualifying rounds of the Europa League. It will take time to recover from the Koeman debacle. Let’s rebuild properly with younger players and a long-term manager and re-establish ourselves consistently in the Premier League. Frankly, Europe can wait. 

Well the distraction of qualifiers wouldn't happen right now anyway!!!

They are a pain in the arse, but each time we get into Europe consecutively, you'd hope that we learn a little bit more and grow as a club.

Never say no to Europe!!!

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The last thing we need right now is the distraction of playing in qualifying rounds of the Europa League. It will take time to recover from the Koeman debacle. Let’s rebuild properly with younger players and a long-term manager and re-establish ourselves consistently in the Premier League. Frankly, Europe can wait. 

But at the same time missing out out on Europe means we aren’t good enough.

players won’t want to join us as we are a mid table nobody.

We need Europe, qualifiers and all.

sorry for edits... brought an IPhone!

13 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

How do you work that out?

Guesstimate based on the fact that big boys aside only Wigan and Pompey have won the FA Cup since we last did and I have a niggling feeling that Man City might scrape past Bristol City in the league cup semi. You disagree?

8 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

No I’m not , we seemed to have pulled away from that since Allardyce has sorted the back four out.

Correct now we're on the march for a Europa spot, you seem to think that's not a possibility a bit of believe wouldn't go a miss, not saying it will be easy but I believe it will be even harder for Burnley to stay in the top 7 and Spurs are struggling as well and there's no one behind us to worry about.

Guesstimate based on the fact that big boys aside only Wigan and Pompey have won the FA Cup since we last did and I have a niggling feeling that Man City might scrape past Bristol City in the league cup semi. You disagree?

Not at all , I’ve already said in this thread that it looks like the League Cup slot will go to 6th place, just curious how you came up with a figure of 95%

Either way I do disagree that we are on course for a Europa League place

Correct now we're on the march for a Europa spot, you seem to think that's not a possibility a bit of believe wouldn't go a miss, not saying it will be easy but I believe it will be even harder for Burnley to stay in the top 7 and Spurs are struggling as well and there's no one behind us to worry about.

I didn’t say it wasn’t possible I said we were not on course for it

As it happens I do think it’s unlikely but certainly not impossible

Considering where we were and how we felt in November, finishing 7th and getting Europe for another year would feel good.

I really want us to qualify for Europe so we can go some way towards erasing what happened this season in Europe. Attracting continental players and not being able to offer any European competition at all would be made more difficult as well.