IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

2 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

It’s true. Although there were only 3 teams below the 50% quoted. One (Cardiff) was relegated and another (Spurs) reached the Champions League Final and opened their new stadium which gave a massive income boost.

I don’t think anyone disagrees that we have made bad signings on high wages but I wouldn’t lay all of this at Brands door though. For that 18-19 season quoted we made 5 or 6 key signings that summer (brands 1st window in his role); Digne, Richarlison, Mina, Gomes and Bernard. Most were above 100k a week and have been successful. Gomes was a loan and Bernard a free. We must have shed a lot of wages this year through contracts expiring and possibly Gomes/Bernard leaving. 

For me the jury is out but he has only been here 3 years. We were just hoping for a magic transformation ala Man City which hasn't happened. 

Great post. And even City’s transformation took about ten years and a couple of owners being bought out. 

On 22/07/2021 at 17:14, Palfy said:

If you look at the percentage of turnover spent on wages we spent 86% of our turnover on wages which was before Covid shut stadiums, it was the highest in the PL, some teams managed to spend under 50% of turnover on wages, quite how we can applaud Brands for financially steadying the ship and getting finances in order is beyond me. 

Surely a fat chunk of that was taken up by the wages we were still paying Walsh signings ? 

Walsh and Koeman set the club back years and I think it’s extremely unfair to try and pin that on Brands 

On 23/07/2021 at 07:44, Goodison Glory said:

It’s true. Although there were only 3 teams below the 50% quoted. One (Cardiff) was relegated and another (Spurs) reached the Champions League Final and opened their new stadium which gave a massive income boost.

I don’t think anyone disagrees that we have made bad signings on high wages but I wouldn’t lay all of this at Brands door though. For that 18-19 season quoted we made 5 or 6 key signings that summer (brands 1st window in his role); Digne, Richarlison, Mina, Gomes and Bernard. Most were above 100k a week and have been successful. Gomes was a loan and Bernard a free. We must have shed a lot of wages this year through contracts expiring and possibly Gomes/Bernard leaving. 

For me the jury is out but he has only been here 3 years. We were just hoping for a magic transformation ala Man City which hasn't happened. 

"It's true" isn't really evidence to be honest :lol:

but completely agree with the rest. 

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Surely a fat chunk of that was taken up by the wages we were still paying Walsh signings ? 

Walsh and Koeman set the club back years and I think it’s extremely unfair to try and pin that on Brands 

Brands has definitely added to it I think I’m right in saying that. 

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

He definitely  would be the best DOF in world football had he been able to get all the new signings to come and play for free! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Or if he didn’t bring players in like Tosun Delph Bernard Iwobi ect we can’t hold the managers responsible for all the dross he’s brought to the club, yet not do the same when we talk about Walsh.  

On 22/07/2021 at 17:44, Palfy said:

You will find them on the net if you look, the season I was referring to I think was either 18/19 or possibly 19/20 what I do remember was Bournemouth were  still in the equation. 

Aaaah, you're talking about the season when Brands arrived as the reason he's not done his job. Gotcha.

:doh:

21 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Thank you! 

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

Aaaah, you're talking about the season when Brands arrived as the reason he's not done his job. Gotcha.

:doh:

Thank you! 

Matt the season before he arrived we were mid 70% he took it to mid 80% in his first season 18/19 which is what that season shows :doh: And it would have been so much worse if not for some dubious accounting from Moshiri and Usmanov, no problem with that all the big clubs are at one way or another, my problem with Brands is that he has spent massively since he arrived and stuck players on wages that have been unheard of at Everton even Walsh’s signings bar Gylfi weren’t getting anywhere near what Brands signings are getting, that’s why our wages are the on % the worst in the league I dread to think what 19/20 and 20/21 are. But read something earlier that our latest signings are due to the fact we are struggling to stay within FFP. Another big bug bear of mine is that when he signed him and Moshiri said his main role was to get us back on a better financial footing when it came to wages, in 3 years he’s achieved completely the opposite, and what’s disappointing is we haven’t seen much improvement in the team. 

11 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Matt the season before he arrived we were mid 70% he took it to mid 80% in his first season 18/19 which is what that season shows :doh:

With Digne, Zouma, Mina, Gomes, Richarlison et al added. He added quality signings in this first window. The fact it was 70% the season before (if it was) and full of crap is not his fault. 

Again, :doh:

1 minute ago, Matt said:

With Digne, Zouma, Mina, Gomes, Richarlison et al added. He added quality signings in this first window. The fact it was 70% the season before (if it was) and full of crap is not his fault. 

He could have done a better job off loading players to reduce the wage bill. We could have gotten a small fee from Palace for Tosun and his full wages off the books. Bernard as well depending if you believe Ancelotti wanted to keep him.

Could have let Bolasie go and the club pay a % of his wages rather than leave him out the squad and pay his full wages. Same goes with Besic.

Delph, Bernard, Lossl, King. All a waste of wages. Wouldn't be surprised if they earned over a million per 90 minutes played. 

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

With really seen the difference that has made to our league position in the last 3 years, Zouma isn’t here Mina is always injured Gomes and Digne had one decent season the latter looks like he could be on his way sadly I love Gomes but he’s struggling. Delph Iwobi Bernard and Tosun seem to have slipped your mind, also you missed out probably his best signing since he arrived Godfrey and he’s not on silly money, our wages are going to hold us back next season we have far to many players hitting over 100k+ sanctioned by him which cannot be denied no matter how much slap your head. 

1 minute ago, pete0 said:

He could have done a better job off loading players to reduce the wage bill. We could have gotten a small fee from Palace for Tosun and his full wages off the books. Bernard as well depending if you believe Ancelotti wanted to keep him.

Could have let Bolasie go and the club pay a % of his wages rather than leave him out the squad and pay his full wages. Same goes with Besic.

Delph, Bernard, Lossl, King. All a waste of wages. Wouldn't be surprised if they earned over a million per 90 minutes played. 

Only if there are buyers. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

With really seen the difference that has made to our league position in the last 3 years, Zouma isn’t here Mina is always injured Gomes and Digne had one decent season the latter looks like he could be on his way sadly I love Gomes but he’s struggling. Delph Iwobi Bernard and Tosun seem to have slipped your mind, also you missed out probably his best signing since he arrived Godfrey and he’s not on silly money, our wages are going to hold us back next season we have far to many players hitting over 100k+ sanctioned by him which cannot be denied no matter how much slap your head. 

You quoted the wages based on his first season here. I've argued against that.

If you keep jumping all over the place with your argument, because you can't make a point stick, I will continue facepalming ;)

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

You quoted the wages based on his first season here. I've argued against that.

If you keep jumping all over the place with your argument, because you can't make a point stick, I will continue facepalming ;)

Fair enough but next season the Walsh excuses won’t be around Walcott and Bolasie contracts have expired if things go down the wrong route for Gylfi his contract will be terminated for misconduct then he has a clean slate unless of course he doesn’t want DCL Pickford and Kean. 
Fuck me that reminds me I forgot about the Italian Stallion 😉

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Apologies, Palfy. I'm still not feeling myself and I'm not being very considerate with my posts. 

Your all right mate we’ve been in bigger scrapes than than this Matt and always come out the other end, I genuinely haven’t been offended by anything you’ve said 👍

59 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The players having a great first season and then shit afterwards is evidence that brands bought the right players. The subsequent management of those players is what leads to inconsistency.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Matt the season before he arrived we were mid 70% he took it to mid 80% in his first season 18/19 which is what that season shows :doh: And it would have been so much worse if not for some dubious accounting from Moshiri and Usmanov, no problem with that all the big clubs are at one way or another, my problem with Brands is that he has spent massively since he arrived and stuck players on wages that have been unheard of at Everton even Walsh’s signings bar Gylfi weren’t getting anywhere near what Brands signings are getting, that’s why our wages are the on % the worst in the league I dread to think what 19/20 and 20/21 are. But read something earlier that our latest signings are due to the fact we are struggling to stay within FFP. Another big bug bear of mine is that when he signed him and Moshiri said his main role was to get us back on a better financial footing when it came to wages, in 3 years he’s achieved completely the opposite, and what’s disappointing is we haven’t seen much improvement in the team. 

I'm pretty sure the 77% ratio delivered by Walsh the year prior was boosted by the Lukaku sale which would have counted as turnover.  Maybe we will sell Richarlison for a similar figure and Brands can have a better ratio!!! 

The reality is we won't be able to use any balance sheet data reliably because Covid has screwed it up...which is why all the data/stats quoted are stopping at 2018/2019. 

I'll drop there as I do think we genuinely agree that brands could be doing better but isn't solely to blame and we also agree that while moshri has improved the balance sheet he has totally screwed up managerial appointments.

52 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

The players having a great first season and then shit afterwards is evidence that brands bought the right players. The subsequent management of those players is what leads to inconsistency.

I would go along with that to a degree as well, but 6 managers in 6 years plus 2 caretakers for me proves we are a team owned by owners who genuinely believe they can buy success and have held most managers responsible for their failures, now they have a DoF who 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

I would go along with that to a degree as well, but 6 managers in 6 years plus 2 caretakers for me proves we are a team owned by owners who genuinely believe they can buy success and have held most managers responsible for their failures, now they have a DoF who 

Leaving us hanging a bit there Palf!

26 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I would go along with that to a degree as well, but 6 managers in 6 years plus 2 caretakers for me proves we are a team owned by owners who genuinely believe they can buy success and have held most managers responsible for their failures, now they have a DoF who cross dresses on a Saturday night after games and makes the players call him Marcella.