IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

We could try ebay, you can sell and buy all sorts of crap on there.

Remember in ebay's early days there was a guy on a TV programme, don't remember which one, who tested whether you could get "money for old rope" on there so put it to the test. He sold it but fucked up on the delivery costs so ended up losing money.

Aha, found in on youtube.:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bATG6XowDbA&t=26m49s

1 hour ago, StevO said:

For possibly the 1,000th time, you need a buyer to sell anything. 
Then if you’re lucky enough to find someone who will take Besic, Bolasie and the like, how do you convince them to give up the biggest contract they will ever get in their life? 

Aren’t Besic Bolasie and Gylfi’s contracts up at the end of the season so that should save 200 plus grand a week, then he needs to sell some of the players he’s responsible for bringing into the club Delph Iwobi Bernard Mina and possibly Gomes Richarlison and Digne if he can get the right money, because they may talk a good game and how they love the club and supporters but all 3 have been expensive passengers this season, and if they carry on in this vein they won’t be missed, so I expect him to shift 3-4 players this summer on top of the players who’s contracts will expire. 
Like anyone in any job you are responsible for cleaning up your own mess no excuses. 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

you didn't even read, i don't hold besic and bolasie against him, HE DIDN"T BUY THEM.  he did buy the dross i mentioned and he is accountable for that.  this is what i'm talking about.  you don't have to worry about selling players IF YOU BUY THE RIGHT ONES.  he didn't.  the ones he bought that are solely on him really only godfrey, kean, digne, and doucoure can be credited to him.  richarlison (silva) james and allan due to Carlo.  Digne was good for 1, maybe 2 years, he's been average or worse since the new contract (mayhaps we should have sold when linked with City) honestly he's like league average player i'm not sure he's even something to put in the win column for marcel.  king just been average, niels we haven't seen anything.  kean had a rough year, has been on loan, wants out and we'll make money on him.  so count godfrey doucoure kean, 3 players?  come on.  like i said walsh had a better track record than that and he's treated like a pariah around here.    

“He’s not been great at actually selling players” was your very first sentence. Maybe you didn’t read your own post?

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Aren’t Besic Bolasie and Gylfi’s contracts up at the end of the season so that should save 200 plus grand a week, then he needs to sell some of the players he’s responsible for bringing into the club Delph Iwobi Bernard Mina and possibly Gomes Richarlison and Digne if he can get the right money, because they may talk a good game and how they love the club and supporters but all 3 have been expensive passengers this season, and if they carry on in this vein they won’t be missed, so I expect him to shift 3-4 players this summer on top of the players who’s contracts will expire. 
Like anyone in any job you are responsible for cleaning up your own mess no excuses. 

Absolutely, it would be great to sell some of these players. But if we know they aren’t good enough then so do the other clubs out there. If we do find buyers then will the players take a pay cut? History tells us they won’t very often do that. Hence why they run down their contracts. 
Yes, he is responsible for cleaning up his own mess, but it’s not always possible is it?

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Okay Digne for starters is a victim of his own high standards. Also, richarlison has no interest in linking with him so it’s a wonder he has still gotten 9 assists for the season. 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

It’s his fault for buying them.  Bernard Delph iwobi Gomes Mina gbamin are whoppers on his CV.  I doubt we can move all of them but we need to.  That’s on marcel full stop. I’m not holding Gylfi or tosun against him because he didn’t buy them.  That lot I mentioned was over 100m pounds.  And we thought Walsh was bad!  Brands ain’t been much better

The DofF thing isn’t working for us at least Walsh had an excuse owner and chairman interference, I really don’t think he’s doing a good job at sourcing players, his success to failure rate is very poor imo. 

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

It’s his fault for buying them.  Bernard Delph iwobi Gomes Mina gbamin are whoppers on his CV.  I doubt we can move all of them but we need to.  That’s on marcel full stop. I’m not holding Gylfi or tosun against him because he didn’t buy them.  That lot I mentioned was over 100m pounds.  And we thought Walsh was bad!  Brands ain’t been much better

I would be pretty sure Delph, Iwobi, Gomes, Gbamin and Mina arent up for sale. Bernard probably only has been since January and he almost left then anyway. 

That has got to be one of the strangest ways to have a pop at him. 

9 minutes ago, Btay said:

Okay Digne for starters is a victim of his own high standards. Also, richarlison has no interest in linking with him so it’s a wonder he has still gotten 9 assists for the season. 

The only victims of Digne’s shit show are the club and it’s supporters he’s no victim he’s still picking up 100% of his wages for very little return, I would say the best LB I’ve seen this season is Godfrey hardly anything got past him when he played there. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The only victims of Digne’s shit show are the club and it’s supporters he’s no victim he’s still picking up 100% of his wages for very little return, I would say the best LB I’ve seen this season is Godfrey hardly anything got past him when he played there. 

Only Cresswell as a defender has more assists and he’s played an extra 400 minutes ( 20% more ) than Digne but yeah let’s fuck him off. 

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Bernard Delph iwobi Gomes Mina gbamin are whoppers on his CV.  

I'll take Iwobi and Delph but not having the others. Bernard played in a world cup final for Brazil (they got battered but still), Gomes everybody loved to bits in his early days here, silky smooth, but he's fallen off maybe due to injury. Mina has had some great games for us, I'd still not write him off and Gbamin? On what planet is he regarded as a "whopper" of a signing for getting injured? Brands obviously not looking deep enough into his crystal ball the numpty, all his fault.

1 minute ago, Btay said:

Just hope we have a left footed Tony Hibbert coming through the ranks to keep you happy mate 😂

If they had fight and passion to put everything on the line like Hibbert did I’d take a two left footed Hibbert in more than one position 😂

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'll take Iwobi and Delph but not having the others. Bernard played in a world cup final for Brazil (they got battered but still), Gomes everybody loved to bits in his early days here, silky smooth, but he's fallen off maybe due to injury. Mina has had some great games for us, I'd still not write him off and Gbamin? On what planet is he regarded as a "whopper" of a signing for getting injured? Brands obviosly not looking deep enough into his crystal ball the numpty, all his fault.

The sad thing is it does happen mate that some players will have a good or better than average first season, then never show that level of performance again. It happened to Schneiderlin and seems to be happening to Gomes and Digne for what ever reason. 
Then it’s down to the manager if he wants to persist with them or show them the door.  

14 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The sad thing is it does happen mate that some players will have a good or better than average first season, then never show that level of performance again. It happened to Schneiderlin and seems to be happening to Gomes and Digne for what ever reason. 
Then it’s down to the manager if he wants to persist with them or show them the door.  

Fair enough but we're in the Brands thread, so a signing looking great he's done his job; if he then tails off can you blame Marcel? Blame elsewhere for me, he's out of the loop by then.

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Fair enough but we're in the Brands thread, so a signing looking great he's done his job; if he then tails off can you blame Marcel? Blame elsewhere for me, he's out of the loop by then.

I’ll accept that argument that makes perfectly good sense.  

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Gylfi’s contract has another year to run by the way, it doesn’t run out this summer sadly. 

On recent performances we need to leave it until the end of next season to renew, of we want to, he  either puts in a decent performance or is anonymous and becomes the ultimate finger pointer. Being realistic, he’s not the player to help us break into the top 4 unless we’re going to get two penalties every game.

20 hours ago, MikeO said:

Remember in ebay's early days there was a guy on a TV programme, don't remember which one, who tested whether you could get "money for old rope" on there so put it to the test. He sold it but fucked up on the delivery costs so ended up losing money.

Aha, found in on youtube.:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bATG6XowDbA&t=26m49s

Haha, sadly we'd make a massive loss on several players after paying ebay's fees.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-yerry-mina-four-futures-20682557

There are a few interesting names on this list. Some of them are interesting because it shows the difference between Brands and his predecessors in the length of contract given.

Of those listed I would only extend the contract of Mina and Doucoure. Niels would be a maybe depending on how good he actually is.

• 2 weeks later...