IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Rodriguez, Doucoure, Allan, and Digne easily outweigh the bad but Brands and Ancelotti could have done more.

Squad wise you tend to have two for every position plus an extra centre mid, striker, and either a creative player or centre back.

Yet we started the season with no back up right back, left back, or right mid (technically did have a right mid but let him go leaving us short). Also could have done with an experienced centre half and striker too (although the latter has been addressed in the January).

This is the main reason we've seen Godfrey and Holgate playing full back for a fair few games and even had Coleman cameo as a right mid. That's on Brands and Ancelotti.

Naming Gbamin in the 25 squad, who was never gonna be fit, over Bolasie and Besic was a poor decision. Letting Walcott go was baffling with no other right sided winger.

One of Gomes or Sigurdsson should have been moved on and replaced with a player more suited to Ancelotti's tactics. 

Personally I would have opted to transfer Bernard whilst he still had some value and had Bolasie around as third choice for a year. 

I agree Pete, they could have done more.

We started the season with Kenny and Nkounkou as back up right back and left back. Just turned out they weren’t good enough. 
Completely agree we should have kept Walcott, he could have made more impact than Iwobi and Bernard. 

I hope is next 3 years are an upgrade on his last 3, I’m personally underwhelmed by what he’s done in the last 3, most of the old guards dead wood will be history at the end of the season, so what happens next will be on him, and he can start with offloading Delph because he was an embarrassing signing though I dare say he will be another who he can’t move and will see out his contract. 

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I hope is next 3 years are an upgrade on his last 3, I’m personally underwhelmed by what he’s done in the last 3, most of the old guards dead wood will be history at the end of the season, so what happens next will be on him, and he can start with offloading Delph because he was an embarrassing signing though I dare say he will be another who he can’t move and will see out his contract. 

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

here here

Plenty to debate here but for the most part I agree. The biggest thing for me is only one expensive miss. We had far too many of those with Walsh. We can miss on prospects all day, and we will, but when we spend 20m+ we need someone guaranteed to make the squad better.

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2021/4/21/22285944/marcel-brands-signs-new-everton-contract-latest-grading-all-his-everton-signings-transfer-window

2 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Plenty to debate here but for the most part I agree. The biggest thing for me is only one expensive miss. We had far too many of those with Walsh. We can miss on prospects all day, and we will, but when we spend 20m+ we need someone guaranteed to make the squad better.

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2021/4/21/22285944/marcel-brands-signs-new-everton-contract-latest-grading-all-his-everton-signings-transfer-window

Who are you talking about there?

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I’m a little underwhelmed by his first contract time.

Bit then I remember we now have Allan, Doucoure, Godfrey and James... and think, that’s a real solid team in the making. A few more parts could really change our fortunes.

Maybe next year haha.

Don't forget Delph, he's as solid as a small piece of eighth inch balsa wood; mobile as a large lump of concrete at the same time as well. That's versatility for you.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marcel-brands-everton-summer-contracts-20460755

"James Rodriguez, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Bernard, Seamus Coleman, Jonjoe Kenny, Fabian Delph and Cenk Tosun are all out of contract in 2022 but Brands will hope to have moved several on in advance."

The only one of those players you would want to keep beyond 2022 is James. I guess a case could be made for Kenny but he clearly isn't in Carlo's plans.

I do think they will all need to be replaced though and I think James will be 31 at the end of that contract so will need replacing too.

Brands has a lot of work on his hands these next couple of seasons!

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marcel-brands-everton-summer-contracts-20460755

"James Rodriguez, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Bernard, Seamus Coleman, Jonjoe Kenny, Fabian Delph and Cenk Tosun are all out of contract in 2022 but Brands will hope to have moved several on in advance."

The only one of those players you would want to keep beyond 2022 is James. I guess a case could be made for Kenny but he clearly isn't in Carlo's plans.

I do think they will all need to be replaced though and I think James will be 31 at the end of that contract so will need replacing too.

Brands has a lot of work on his hands these next couple of seasons!

Marca are reporting we are trying to sort out a new contract with James already. Might just be paper talk, but hopefully with him not really having any pace to lose he can stay at a good level for a few seasons. I’d love to see him really be a big part of a successful few seasons. Our Robinho if you will, but more like Aguero I hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

He’s not been great at actually selling players, been alright at getting the ones we don’t want loaned out.  I’m not his biggest fan so we will see what he does this summer.  There must be sales, we are in financial problems with FFP and stupid spending and COVID so let’s see how good this guy really is.  

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

The thing is, you can't sell what no one wants to buy. If we can all see that we've got a load of shit players then I'm certain other clubs know they're shit as well.

We're saddled with a lot of this crap until their contracts run down. This is why I'm horrified at the prospect of Gylfi getting a new contract - what on earth would possess someone to extend his time here when we're so close to the end of that nightmare?!

It’s his fault for buying them.  Bernard Delph iwobi Gomes Mina gbamin are whoppers on his CV.  I doubt we can move all of them but we need to.  That’s on marcel full stop. I’m not holding Gylfi or tosun against him because he didn’t buy them.  That lot I mentioned was over 100m pounds.  And we thought Walsh was bad!  Brands ain’t been much better

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

It’s his fault for buying them.  Bernard Delph iwobi Gomes Mina gbamin are whoppers on his CV.  I doubt we can move all of them but we need to.  That’s on marcel full stop. I’m not holding Gylfi or tosun against him because he didn’t buy them.  That lot I mentioned was over 100m pounds.  And we thought Walsh was bad!  Brands ain’t been much better

It is, he hasn't been faultless (not least because we're still failing to address the pace issue), but I'd have had Bernard, Gomes, Mina (not after seeing him up close mind!) here myself. They just haven't worked out, and I'm not sure he could have foreseen Gbamin's problems. That's just been unlucky.

It is a big summer window for him though, he needs there to be more success stories than failures, both in terms of who comes in and who potentially leaves.

26 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He’s not been great at actually selling players, been alright at getting the ones we don’t want loaned out.  I’m not his biggest fan so we will see what he does this summer.  There must be sales, we are in financial problems with FFP and stupid spending and COVID so let’s see how good this guy really is.  

For possibly the 1,000th time, you need a buyer to sell anything. 
Then if you’re lucky enough to find someone who will take Besic, Bolasie and the like, how do you convince them to give up the biggest contract they will ever get in their life? 

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It is, he hasn't been faultless (not least because we're still failing to address the pace issue), but I'd have had Bernard, Gomes, Mina (not after seeing him up close mind!) here myself. They just haven't worked out, and I'm not sure he could have foreseen Gbamin's problems. That's just been unlucky.

It is a big summer window for him though, he needs there to be more success stories than failures, both in terms of who comes in and who potentially leaves.

Thank god there is a bit of sense about this. 

11 minutes ago, StevO said:

For possibly the 1,000th time, you need a buyer to sell anything. 
Then if you’re lucky enough to find someone who will take Besic, Bolasie and the like, how do you convince them to give up the biggest contract they will ever get in their life? 

you didn't even read, i don't hold besic and bolasie against him, HE DIDN"T BUY THEM.  he did buy the dross i mentioned and he is accountable for that.  this is what i'm talking about.  you don't have to worry about selling players IF YOU BUY THE RIGHT ONES.  he didn't.  the ones he bought that are solely on him really only godfrey, kean, digne, and doucoure can be credited to him.  richarlison (silva) james and allan due to Carlo.  Digne was good for 1, maybe 2 years, he's been average or worse since the new contract (mayhaps we should have sold when linked with City) honestly he's like league average player i'm not sure he's even something to put in the win column for marcel.  king just been average, niels we haven't seen anything.  kean had a rough year, has been on loan, wants out and we'll make money on him.  so count godfrey doucoure kean, 3 players?  come on.  like i said walsh had a better track record than that and he's treated like a pariah around here.    

48 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

The thing is, you can't sell what no one wants to buy. If we can all see that we've got a load of shit players then I'm certain other clubs know they're shit as well.

We're saddled with a lot of this crap until their contracts run down. This is why I'm horrified at the prospect of Gylfi getting a new contract - what on earth would possess someone to extend his time here when we're so close to the end of that nightmare?!

We could try ebay, you can sell and buy all sorts of crap on there.