IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

38 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I wouldn't be surprised if very few teams make signings this window.

Now that you said that, it makes me think why would you buy players now when there’s a good chance the season will be delayed indefinitely again and pay all those extra wages? Could argue integration but how much would happen if they’re not allowed to train together again? 

Just thinking out loud

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm not talking about bringing in 3 or 4 here, Matt. I'm talking about doing something that means we don't have to play Sigurdsson as a CF.

This!

By all accounts Cenk is available to the highest bidder and given that Siggy played and Simms didn't make the bench, it suggests that he isn't expected to make the step into the first team (yet).

It leaves us very short!

3 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

He's hardly going to come out and say we are going to make X amount of signings, for players X, Y & Z for X amount of money. I get that he probably didn't need to say anything at all but I'd take his comments with a pinch of salt to be honest - if someone is available at the right price I'm sure a deal will be done. In my opinion it's just Brands stating in public that we don't need to sign which therefore strengthens our arm in any negotiations. 

I agree that I they will probably sign someone if the opportunity arises but if you think that other chairmen and agents aren't that naive to think it would change how they do business with us.

If anything it is just a PR exercise of managing fan expectations IMO.

15 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He has said there will be no January incomings at tonight’s AGM.

Personally, I think this is a massive mistake and missed opportunity with the league being as close this season. 

2 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

I wouldn't be surprised if very few teams make signings this window.

I could be wrong on this but I think Brands meant permanent signings. I'd expect us to be active in the loan market. Plenty of talent available there and less risk. 

Brands said the club want the make up of the squad to comprise of three goalkeepers, eight defenders, six or seven midfielders and six attackers.

GK: Pickford, Olsen, Virginia

Def: Coleman, Kenny, Holgate, Keane, Mina, Godfrey, Digne, Nkounkou

Mid: Allan, Doucoure, Gomes, Davies, Gbamin, Sigurdsson, Delph

Att: DCL, Tosun, Richarlison, James, Iwobi, Bernard

Going from the above as the core squad we have; Lossl, Besic, Bolasie, and Gordon(loan) who need shifting before then going one in one out with the core squad.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Now that you said that, it makes me think why would you buy players now when there’s a good chance the season will be delayed indefinitely again and pay all those extra wages? Could argue integration but how much would happen if they’re not allowed to train together again? 

Just thinking out loud

Great observation I’m sure they have to take those possibilities into consideration. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lingard cracks another one against Leicester then taps one in to make it 2-0, West Ham have paid 1.5 million for his services till the end of the season, we paid 5 million for King somebody needs to hang their head in shame, and that person has his name on this thread. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Lingard cracks another one against Leicester then taps one in to make it 2-0, West Ham have paid 1.5 million for his services till the end of the season, we paid 5 million for King somebody needs to hang their head in shame, and that person has his name on this thread. 

We pain "a nominal fee" for King:huh:.

14 minutes ago, Palfy said:

How do you know we didn't make an offer and he just chose West Ham?

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

How do you know we didn't make an offer and he just chose West Ham?

Do you know we did, I’m willing to bet you any amount of money you like we didn’t, I’d like to think if we made a move for him he would choose Everton and Ancelotti over West Ham and Moyes. 

17 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Do you know we did, I’m willing to bet you any amount of money you like we didn’t, I’d like to think if we made a move for him he would choose Everton and Ancelotti over West Ham and Moyes. 

Of course I don't, but I'm not the one making a statement on Brands having got something wrong when I don't know that he did.

Lingard might have wanted to play in London. He might have thought he'd play more at West Ham. Ancelotti has a bigger pull than Moyes for sure but the manager isn't the only factor a player is going to make the decision on. I'd like to think a player would choose us over West Ham as well, but it doesn't always work that way.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Of course I don't, but I'm not the one making a statement on Brands having got something wrong when I don't know that he did.

Lingard might have wanted to play in London. He might have thought he'd play more at West Ham. Ancelotti has a bigger pull than Moyes for sure but the manager isn't the only decision a player is going to make the decision on. I'd like to think a player would choose us over West Ham as well, but it doesn't always work that way.

So shall we presume we never made an offer for him or we did, but either way another Brands cock up spending 5 million on King. 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He chose West Ham over West Brom and Newcastle now I can understand that, they were the only other 2 clubs mentioned that made a move for him. 

West Ham tried to sign King for £13m last October but Bournemouth wanted £18m and they also signed Benrahma for (up to) £30m, how's that gone for them? And I still can't find a reputable source that supports the idea that we paid £5m for King, TalkShite says we did but that's meaningless. As far as I know we paid a nominal fee and £5m ain't nominal in anyone's book.

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

West Ham tried to sign King for £13m last October but Bournemouth wanted £18m and they also signed Benrahma for (up to) £30m, how's that gone for them? And I still can't find a reputable source that supports the idea that we paid £5m for King, TalkShite says we did but that's meaningless. As far as I know we paid a nominal fee and £5m ain't nominal in anyone's book.

Even the £5m fee was "up to £5m" implying had to to win something/qualify for CL or EL. If he scores in the last game of the season and that gets us into either of the European competitions, he'll have paid his worth and we can go our separate ways. 

The fact that Lingaard has had a couple of decent games in 7 seasons or whatever it is utterly irrelevant to us and Brands. Any suggestion otherwise is twaddle. 

Why is King deemed a cock up anyway? He was only ever brought in as a backup option in case anything happened to DCL, thankfully he hasn’t been needed as yet . Personally I still think it was a good deal for us, gets us through to the summer without having to make a panic buy in January and with no commitment to buy at the end of the deal we aren’t lumbered with another player on big wages that we can’t shift on and who isn’t up to the job ala Tosun

Comparing it to the Lingard deal is like comparing apples with oranges really

20 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Comparing it to the Lingard deal is like comparing apples with oranges really

Don’t get that they both play upfront and are supposed to get goals, what has King done with his limited opportunities nothing, if he at least showed some effort he may have gotten more game time, by all accounts he hasn’t impressed in training, regardless of money even though Lingard has cost West Ham less who would you rather have in the team out of those 2. Now let’s not forget Brands is I believe the highest paid DoF in the league possibly Europe who knows even the world, he doesn’t go for Lingard he goes for King that riles me, if you’re suppose to be the best in your field and your wages endorse that then make better choices.